AMT backup .45 acp - Page 3

AMT backup .45 acp

This is a discussion on AMT backup .45 acp within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by stbeverly Hey loc, Just wondering, what is the specific model of the one you are holding in the pic? I'm just getting ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: AMT backup .45 acp

los
    Quote Originally Posted by stbeverly View Post
    Hey loc,

Just wondering, what is the specific model of the one you are holding in the pic? I'm just getting into the AMT Backup's from a suggestion from one of my retired cop friends. I generally carry a Glock G27. Love it!! But he suggested the AMT Backup .45. So I'm trying to find one that is aesthetically pleasing, like the one in the pic you are holding in your hand. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Hello, stbeverly. Welcome to the Forum.

The model shown is an original AMT BackUp 45. I added the checkered front strap. Otherwise it's in original factory form.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Hiya All........... Also have bought a Backup45. Second Generation. Have put over 500 rounds through it so far. I'd be lying if I didn't admit having prroblems. But its the smallest 45 that will fit in my pocket.

The most recurring issue is that I need to keep my pinky away from the mag release when firing.

Los, Seen one of your threads somewhere about the little stinker. I assume it was you.

I don't go anywhere without it.

Administrator
    Also the very early AMT guns used the same alloy and hardness of Stainless for both the slide and frame and that did cause galling problems with the Stainless.
    That is no longer the case.
    But, even with the earlier guns - the modern ultra low friction lubes available these days make that galling "not" a problem.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

don't knwo about the original .45, but the original .380 were a complete POS.

Quote Originally Posted by dwyermw View Post
    don't knwo about the original .45, but the original .380 were a complete POS.
    Dunno if they all were, but mine (circa 1980) fit that description pretty well!

Regards,
    Jim

test reply
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Quote Originally Posted by Danoh View Post
    Hiya All........... Also have bought a Backup45. Second Generation. Have put over 500 rounds through it so far. I'd be lying if I didn't admit having prroblems. But its the smallest 45 that will fit in my pocket.

The most recurring issue is that I need to keep my pinky away from the mag release when firing.

Los, Seen one of your threads somewhere about the little stinker. I assume it was you.

I don't go anywhere without it.

What ammo are you feeding it? Mine (an original version) was a complete POS until I did a meticulous "fluff & buff" on it. After that, it works beautifully, but only with FMJ ammo.

As 'QKShooter' noted, there was quite a bit of galling occurring in my original version - I had to smooth all that out. I would still venture to say that your "Second Generation" AMT will benefit greatly from a careful 'fluff & buff'

Good luck!
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

My pinky finger, when firing, likes to "tuck underneath" the gun. Nothing for the pinky to grab onto. so being under the gun, it will disengage the magazine, while being fired.

IF I concentrate, the pinky doesn't cause an issue. I'd guess this has caused 80 to 90% of my problems. The "fluff and buff" you suggested will probally fix all the rest. But I feel I shouldn't have to concentrate like that(?). But its the only gun that fits my criterial and needs. So I keep shooting it, hoping/trying to train myself not to think about it.

230 grain FMJ ball ammo has been the most reliable so far, for feeding. "Critical Defense" bullets works ok, as long its the first bullet only.

Quote Originally Posted by Danoh View Post
    My pinky finger, when firing, likes to "tuck underneath" the gun. Nothing for the pinky to grab onto. so being under the gun, it will disengage the magazine, while being fired.

IF I concentrate, the pinky doesn't cause an issue. I'd guess this has caused 80 to 90% of my problems. ......

I understand about the pinky not having anything to grip. But I find it odd that your pinky is getting all the way back to the mag release. Plus, the mag release is not all that easy to operate. Interesting................

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    The Semmerling LM4.

I purchased two of those a few years back at an estate auction. Sold them to an Arizona collector shortly thereafter.

I should have kept one.
    Ever read the Repairman Jack series by F. Paul Wilson? The Semmerling was the main character's back up piece until he
    was finally forced to change to something else.
    Definitely should have kept one!

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    I understand about the pinky not having anything to grip. But I find it odd that your pinky is getting all the way back to the mag release. Plus, the mag release is not all that easy to operate. Interesting................
    I'm fiddling with this.........

1. my pinky folds itself underneath the gun up next to the palm. Its kinda weird. without the gun in hand, its very uncomfortable to "fold" my pinky there. but with gun in hand, pinky feels like it belongs there. I'm just strange and Shxtty weird, I guess.

2. Mag release........ as I play with it, I'm now wondering if its stock at all. I'll keep an eye open for another, and compare the mag release pressure.

Thanks for your thoughts on this. Like I said, I'll keep an eye open for another one, and compare.

Here is my CA. I bought this one when they first came out. Never had one problem with it. Still have it.

Works for me!

I dunno, have had one for years, carried it for years (off & on, as I rotate depending on 'feeling' and 'need), have shot boxes of ammo through it. Never had a single issue with it. Tight as a drum.

In fact, yesterday was the first time in (roughly) 20 years I took it to a top gunsmith to be given the 'once over'. He stripped it, buffed on it a bit, cleaned it up, lubed it, tested it and proclaimed it a proper and trustworthy carry gun.

His ONLY 'caution' (if you want to call it that) was that I may not want to use it as a 'workhorse' range gun as HE might have an issue finding replacement parts for it IF something might break. So, checking for spare parts.

But he stated he wouldn't hesitate to carry it, and I sure haven't.

Does it kick? Sure, like every other gun, LOL. Is it 'manageable'? I'm good out to 75' yds. or so with it, and have consistently hit the 'black' out to 100' yds. with it. I use cheap paper plates a lot for targets. Cheap, easy to find, and keeping rounds inside the 'ripples' is certainly accurate enough for defensive shooting. Is it heavy? Compared to what? Other .45's? Not in my opinion. But for me, I don't worry much about that small stuff. And in a real, life-saving situation, no one else is gonna worry about it either, IMO.

I've never hesitated for a moment to carry it to protect my own life, or those around me.

That works for me.

Take care, friends. Stay safe out there. Lotta nuts runnin' around, sad to report (again!)

Quote Originally Posted by ModernGunner View Post
    .. I'm good out to 75' yds. or so with it, and have consistently hit the 'black' out to 100' yds. with it.

75 or 100 yards, with a AMT .45 Backup?? LOL, I've always considered mine to be a great self defense gun, so long as the range was never much over 10 feet. Yeah, I can 'hit the target' at 50 feet. But this gun is the absolute worst 'bullseye' gun I've ever shot.....

Great job on "hitting the black" at 100 yards. My hat's off to you, sir.

I am now looking at a amt 45 with serial #DL 226XX is this # in the ballpark with a good working amt?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links