Got to shoot a G-17 gen 4 at the range today - pics

This is a discussion on Got to shoot a G-17 gen 4 at the range today - pics within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What a great thing for Shooter's Depot to do! They are having a 'Gunny' and Glock weekend. I went to the range yesterday to shoot ...

Thread: Got to shoot a G-17 gen 4 at the range today - pics

Senior Moderator

What a great thing for Shooter's Depot to do! They are having a 'Gunny' and Glock weekend. I went to the range yesterday to shoot and there was Glock with a bunch of Glocks anyone could shoot. Shooter's supplied the free ammo, so I shot.

I had run out of targets so I just pasted a 3" and 2" dots on the cardboard backer and ran it out to 7 yards. I had been shooting a ..... well, that's gonna be a surprise for another post .

When I started pulling the G-17 trigger, I thought it would never break the shot. All 10 shots were that way. By the 5th shot (top target) the heavy pull had a bit of an effect and one shot went a bit high. In fact, it looks to me like the G-17 shoots a bit high at 7 yds - what do you think?

I sure don't remember a stock Glock trigger being so heavy. After I got back to the Range Master's area, I checked some Glocks and they were the same, but the triggers seemed about right - even the G-17 I'd just shot. Kind of puzzling.

On the way home, I was wondering why I didn't pick the .357 Sig to shoot. I'd go back today, but Gunny is going to be there and they are expecting a 4 hour line, so this might not be the day to try to shoot the .357 Sig.

I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Well it certainly looks like the accuracy potential is there Tangle. At least mechanical accuracy, lol.

hey, thanks for the test. What are your over all thoughts on the new gun? Do you think the trigger will wear in? Any issues with it?
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Well it certainly looks like the accuracy potential is there Tangle. At least mechanical accuracy, lol.

hey, thanks for the test. What are your over all thoughts on the new gun? Do you think the trigger will wear in? Any issues with it?
    Overall, I like it. The grip change is subtle but enough to make a difference in a good way. I couldn't get over how soft it shot. But, I think the soft recoil and the heavy trigger go back to what I had just run 300 rounds through in the last three days. I've been shooting my Kimber Pro Carry. It has a trigger pull just a touch under 3.25 lbs. It's also light and shooting a 230 gn bullet, so it does move when you shoot it.

Then comes a Glock 17 with a 5# connector, which of course does not mean a 5# trigger pull, it's significantly more. Plus the significantly lighter recoil of the 115 gn S&B ammo.

I had limited time because the place was starting to fill up, but I think the trigger was about what it should be, and I was just used to a true 3.25 lb trigger - maybe. I did pop the slide and check to see if it had the "+" connector in it; it did not. When I dry fired it about a half dozen times it seemed about what I would expect. And I think as Glocks are shot, they do polish in a bit and will get a little smoother and a little lighter to some degree.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Links