Can it be? Tangle with a Kimber Pro Carry?? pic heavy - Supplemental in OP - Page 2

Can it be? Tangle with a Kimber Pro Carry?? pic heavy - Supplemental in OP

This is a discussion on Can it be? Tangle with a Kimber Pro Carry?? pic heavy - Supplemental in OP within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Very Sweet 1911 and some darn good shootin'... 1911's are in a world all their own......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Can it be? Tangle with a Kimber Pro Carry?? pic heavy - Supplemental in OP

VIP Member
    Very Sweet 1911 and some darn good shootin'... 1911's are in a world all their own...
    cmycek likes this.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

That is some sweet shooting....congrats on the new gun!
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Tangle - Interesting how shooting the G17 Gen 4 and the Kimber in the same session made the Glock's trigger seem so heavy by comparison.

I've shot 1911 pistols in the past, and while the triggers are nice, they just aren't "all that" to me.

The only trigger I truly dislike is any DA/SA setup...the transition from the heavy/long DA pull to the lighter SA pull was always off-putting to me. As long as the trigger is consistent from one shot to the next, I really don't care too much.

Some day I might get a 1911, just for the history of the gun, as a range toy. For now though, I just don't have the money to afford too many toys.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Administrator
    I haven't really come across any catastrophic Kimber failure mentions on the web recently.
    That's a very good sign that the buggers may be finally be worked out of the MIM part manufacturing process.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Tangle - Interesting how shooting the G17 Gen 4 and the Kimber in the same session made the Glock's trigger seem so heavy by comparison.

I've shot 1911 pistols in the past, and while the triggers are nice, they just aren't "all that" to me.

The only trigger I truly dislike is any DA/SA setup...the transition from the heavy/long DA pull to the lighter SA pull was always off-putting to me. As long as the trigger is consistent from one shot to the next, I really don't care too much.

Some day I might get a 1911, just for the history of the gun, as a range toy. For now though, I just don't have the money to afford too many toys.
    No real shocker with regards to the Glock trigger .vs shooting the 1911 trigger. Not even in the same world.
    rhinokrk likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

I agree with you on the DA/SA. And that if a trigger has a consistent trigger you can do the rest.

Kimber has some real good offerings in the 1911 platform, if they could get their customer service up to par

Sent from my phone
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I have a DA/SA trigger and I love it. I'm the only one. Nobody else who has shot my gun likes it. I don't understand it; first shot DA- because I don't carry cocked. Everything after is SA. It is a bit strange the first couple times, but after that... it's wonderful. My Taurus is a striker setup instead of a hammer- which I love because I just drop it in my pocket between the front door and my car, so it can't really snag on anything. But...

I REALLY REALLY want a 1911. Got to experience one a few weeks ago (also a Taurus). Not anywhere near as nice as a Kimber is supposed to be, but still a wonderful gun. And now I have to have one. Somehow.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Senior Moderator
    Supplemental:
    I thought this would be worth adding. I also added it to the opening post. And I will admit this did have some influence on my decision. I found this several places on the web:

"The Tacoma, Washington Police Department recently completed a testing program to determine what pistol their officers would carry. The test involved nine brands, 39 models and three calibers of semi-automatic pistols. Kimber won, and officers now have the option of selecting a Kimber Pro Carry II or Pro Carry HD II for duty.

The test results are staggering. Other than Kimber, pistols had a failure rate as high as 22%. Kimber had the lowest failure rate Tacoma PD has recorded in over 20 years of testing for any type of firearm – less than one half of one percent! They also determined that the Kimber was safer than other test pistols when the safety was in the “on” position."
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Senior Moderator
    I'm still trying to explain that to myself because I am not a trigger sensitive person as obvious from the G-17 targets. But on the first shot, I honestly thought something was wrong with the gun.

...I've shot 1911 pistols in the past, and while the triggers are nice, they just aren't "all that" to me.
    Certainly nothing wrong with that. I haven't been especially impressed with the 1911 trigger (and it's attendant thumb safety) either. But something must have 'clicked' with me when I shot the guy's Kimber Ultra Carry - and I don't like small, i.e. 3" barreled 1911s period; but I liked that one - hard for me to understand what hooked me, but part was the trigger and part was the accuracy and lower than expected recoil.

...The only trigger I truly dislike is any DA/SA setup...the transition from the heavy/long DA pull to the lighter SA pull was always off-putting to me. As long as the trigger is consistent from one shot to the next, I really don't care too much.
    Me too. In sticky post about trigger actions, I mentioned some short comings of the DA/SA, plus the tendancy to 'train' only in the SA mode.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    I have a DA/SA trigger and I love it. I'm the only one. Nobody else who has shot my gun likes it. I don't understand it;
    First, you're not alone - lot's of people like the DA/SA trigger, including Ernst Langdon and Bruce Gray.

But there are a number of issues with the DA/SA that are for the most part, not recognized. I won't get into that here, but it's in my sticky thread about trigger actions.

I like your setup

By coincidence I have used a setup similar to yours on many occasions. The combination of the Kimber Pro Carry and a Kramer belt holster is a very good one.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Senior Moderator
    I have that holster too:

I like it better, I think, than the one I showed in the OP, because it has the leather shield between the rear of the slide and body. I'd be wearing the one above except it has 1-1/4" belt slots and I'm pretty much wearing a High Noon 1-1/2" Rock Steady belt these days.

Congrads on your Kimber. I was lucky enough to find my Pro Carry II used from a local gun dealer/smith who tuned it up for me after the guy's wife made him return it. (You spent how much?) I love it and earlier in your post, couldn't believe we were talking about the same gun's trigger. Glad you figured it out. My close buddies also enjoy shooting it when they get the chance and plan on getting their own as well. I hope you enjoy your new friend as much as I do.

db
    Kimber PCII .45
    Springfield XD9mm SC
    Kel-Tech P-11 9mm
    AR-15

[QUOTE=zacii;1933233]I don't know if the way I feel about triggers is a fascination, or a fettish
    It's a big deal, to me, and 1911 pistols have no equal IMO. The trigger is one of the finer points where man meets machine. The eye and the finger all make it happen.

I'm with you zacii......trigger pull is extremely important to me! I've been in The Hunting Business 25+ years and the biggest problem I've seen is too heavy trigger pull......this puts to much human element into the equation and when the adrenalin is flowing, you're looking for problems. Granted, a self defense situation is completely different but I think having confidence in what you're shooting(along with proper training and practice) is also extremely important. On the other hand, for the novice or someone not willing to train and/or practice, then too light of a trigger pull could be a problem causing an unsafe situation. For those of us who have shot all of ours lives and practice/train on a regular basis, then I believe you should carry and shoot what you're comfortable with. I nearly always take my old Gold Cup National Match with me to the range because it's such a joy to shoot(actually this is what got me to thinking about a 1911 as an EDC). I enjoy shooting my DA/SA Sigs also.....more than my Glocks.....not taking anything away from Glocks.....they're a great carry weapon and mine do ample time in my rotation.....they're just not as much fun to shoot! Anyway, that's my $.02 about trigger pull....!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    How is that Kimber working out for you?

With that looming (the dems will never stop ) AWB ahead of us.
    Even though I hate the idea of no more hi-cap mags for most of us.

I think that more people will be going to single stacks and revolvers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links