How did your state do? - Page 2

How did your state do?

This is a discussion on How did your state do? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; - Brady State Scorecard Minnesota 2010 Scorecard - 14 out of 100 points - Minnesota has weak gun laws that help feed the illegal gun ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: How did your state do?

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    - Brady State Scorecard Minnesota 2010 Scorecard - 14 out of 100 points -

Minnesota has weak gun laws that help feed the illegal gun market and allow the sale of guns without background checks, according to the Brady Campaign.

My god, what ever will we do??

It's too bad that they don't investigate relevant facts like actual data on illegal gun sales, etc. As far as I know, needing a permit to purchase is one form of background check.

State law also requires that if selling a personal firearm to an individual who doesn't have a valid permit to purchase, that the seller must inform their local law enforcement office of the intent to sell with the potential buyer's information, whereby they have 5 days to determine if said buyer is eligible. The laws of Minnesota trust their largely peaceful & law abiding citizens...
    imagine that!

It's too bad that the Brady Campaign doesn't consider the importance of liberty or freedom as well, such that far more people are negatively affected by his campaign than are helped by it.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

"Ohio has weak gun laws that help feed the illegal gun market and allow the sale of guns without background checks, according to the Brady Campaign. "

Ohio got 9 points. Not as good as some states, but better than a lot of them. Ohio needs to "get better" and lose a few more points.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I see Kentucky got a 2. Finally nice to have POSITIVE low score for KY since we seem to rank near last in anything else...
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I love Arizona, big fat 0!!!
    AZDaven likes this.

Hey, Jersey came in second with a score of 72...losing out only to California.
    Looking at some of their facts, I think the Brady Bunch robbed us of 7 points with the gun show loophole business.
    There are no legal private sales here. (A pistol purchaser permit through an FFL dealer is required for each handgun.)
    Fixing that mistake puts us up to 79 points...just 1 point behind CA.
    And then they should give us at least 5 points for NJ denying any possibility of carrying (oc or cc).
    At least in CA, open carry is legal in many places...and conceal carry in a many counties.
    We also have longer prison sentences if you're caught with an unloaded, cased firearm in your trunk if you're not traveling to and from the range/gun store. (7 years!)
    We should have taken first prize. I'm filing a formal complaint. They'd better make it right!
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by crabbys44 View Post
    HMM.

Texas got a 6 with the legislature working on cutting 4 more of those points.
    I can't wait until we're a 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One thing I noticed was that the Brady Campaign is oblivious to the color coding that they used on putting the actual points on the form (much like they are oblivious to other things). By coloring the points given to the state for a particular piece of regulation RED, they make that point look like a bad thing. In my opinion it is, but I'm sure that's not what they intended.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

Yes,It's good to be in Arizona.
    AZDaven likes this.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    South Carolina = 10.
    SCGunLover1

Why I LOVE Arizona.

Missouri got a 4. Very cool!

As other people stated Florida got a 5 which makes us tied for 32nd place along with Nebraska and Nevada. If I'm doing my math right no one received a "perfect" score which I believe would be a -2 not a 0

also I believe Montana will get a score of 0 next year if the same criteria is used. That is if my memory serves me correctly and they do have permit-less ccw now right?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Alaska looks like the winner!
    Lived there for 7 years...now in FL, only 5th place...but we're working on it.

Ret,

Mi. needs you back. with 25.

I am amazed Wisconsin has only EIGHT!!.
    WTH.

Ever Stop To Think And Forget To Start Again?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    I see Kentucky got a 2. Finally nice to have POSITIVE low score for KY since we seem to rank near last in anything else...
    AGREED fellow Kentuckian....thats one LOW score im very proud of for our state..........glad to be in Kentucky as a gun owner

WV got a 4...Im proud to say thats my home.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Carvin66 View Post
    Why I LOVE Arizona.
    I left ILLINOIS to come here.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links