Colt Detective special problem

This is a discussion on Colt Detective special problem within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had this 1973 3rd gen Colt DS for a while now. I love it the action is like butter. I don't shoot it much ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Colt Detective special problem

I've had this 1973 3rd gen Colt DS for a while now. I love it the action is like butter. I don't shoot it much but when I do it's a pleasure.

I usually only fire it SA but today I was practising DA trigger pull from 80 feet. Anyway, when fired in SA every round goes off every time no problem. When fired in DA 2-3 out of the 6 rounds FTF almost every time. All the primers are struck but I think it's striking light in DA. If I try and fire the rounds that were struck but did not fire in DA a second time manually cocking the hammer the rounds will go off no problem.

So for some reason I'm getting light strikes in DA but not in single action. I also noticed that the hammer cocks and rests much farther back when done manually then it does when firing DA, meaning the hammer drops with more force in SA and does not cock as far back in DA before the trigger breaks and the hammer falls.

Any advice? I would really rather not go through sending it back to colt if I can help it. Do you think replacing a sprinf (hammer strut spring maybe?) would fix the problem? I also tried 3 different types of ammo to make sure The PMC I was shooting didn't have an extra hard primer.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

2. Remove Ads

Just some thoughts.........With the weapon unloaded have you taken off the side plate and watched the action to see if it is funtioning properly single and double action including the strut spring properly engaging the strut and trigger? Has the weapon been cleaned and lubricated regularly and nothing is gummed up ? If all is well in those areas the mainspring would be my next area to check. Just my $.02.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I have not done that but I will. It fires in DA and the action itself seems to working like it always did very smooth. but half the rounds seem to be getting light strikes in DA only. It is kept very clean and lubed. I'm going to take it apart and clean it in a few minutes. If I don't see anything that sticks out maybe I will see if I can find a main spring and hammer strut spring online and give that a try. Either way it can't hurt, the springs are almost 40 years old.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

I agree re spring pressure being a likely culprit. It may be the the main spring still has enough tension in SA, but not for the shorter hammer movement of DA which requires greater tension.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

thx guys I'm going to see if I can find a main spring and spur spring and give that a try, 40 year old springs were my first thought.

A little off topic but how often should a revolver be cleaned internally, as in more detailed than cylinder, barrel, etc? How often do you take them completely apart to clean all the internals?

I do it about once a year.

how many rounds would you say you shoot through a particular gun that you would do that once a year?

Around 1000 to 1200.

A growing problem with Colt wheelguns is finding people qualified to work on them, and parts are drying up as well. Two sources I can recommend are Grant Cunningham, and Cylinder & Slide.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

thanks, if it is indeed the springs and I can find them it shouldn't be to hard to replace the main spring spring and spur spring should it?

I would try a small hard washer with the spring if possible. That should tell you if spring has lost some of its power.

Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    I've had this 1973 3rd gen Colt DS for a while now. I love it the action is like butter. I don't shoot it much but when I do it's a pleasure.

I usually only fire it SA but today I was practising DA trigger pull from 80 feet. Anyway, when fired in SA every round goes off every time no problem. When fired in DA 2-3 out of the 6 rounds FTF almost every time. All the primers are struck but I think it's striking light in DA. If I try and fire the rounds that were struck but did not fire in DA a second time manually cocking the hammer the rounds will go off no problem.

So for some reason I'm getting light strikes in DA but not in single action. I also noticed that the hammer cocks and rests much farther back when done manually then it does when firing DA, meaning the hammer drops with more force in SA and does not cock as far back in DA before the trigger breaks and the hammer falls.

Any advice? I would really rather not go through sending it back to colt if I can help it. Do you think replacing a sprinf (hammer strut spring maybe?) would fix the problem? I also tried 3 different types of ammo to make sure The PMC I was shooting didn't have an extra hard primer.
    No offense to anyone here but post that on colt forum, revolver forum. Those guys are real experts. Colt Forum - Powered by vBulletin

I found and ordered a mainspring for the Colt. Is this something I should be able to change on my own or am I going to have to find a smith?

If you are not farmiliar with taking the locking mechanism apart I would take it to a professional gunsmith if I were you.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Springs, my bet too.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links