1911 Auto Safety Fast Shooting - Page 2

1911 Auto Safety Fast Shooting

This is a discussion on 1911 Auto Safety Fast Shooting within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The gun is still "cocked" internally, but the external hammer is down. The ONLY thing this does is impacts the visual intimidation some may perceive ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 1911 Auto Safety Fast Shooting

The gun is still "cocked" internally, but the external hammer is down. The ONLY thing this does is impacts the visual intimidation some may perceive by the cocked external hammer. To the person actually carrying the weapon, they should still know that it is still cocked. If the safety is accidentally disengaged, the hammer will auto-cock. For those that are intimidated by a cocked external hammer, that is no different than carrying my XD40sc chambered. Striker cocked and a grip safety...it doesn't even have a thumb safety. What's the difference? Why would you care if anyone else is intimidated by the hammer? If someone is concerned with it, why not just make a 1911 style gun that is Double Action Only. That would make a little more sense than this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    I guess John Browning's post to this thread would get edited for the language.

I carried C&L for quite a few years and never once wished I had a device like that.

I would have to give someone an A+ for engineering a kit to do that though.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Administrator
    One thing I thought of is it might allow an LEO who has a ninny for a chief to carry a 1911 off duty.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    One thing I thought of is it might allow an LEO who has a ninny for a chief to
    carry a 1911 off duty.
    I'm afraid that the glory days for the 1911 being carried by Officers is over. Even if some bright ,young,aspiring cop wanted to, his ninny chief might have a stroke if he even asked to carry one.

The younger crowd coming up into the ranks see little use for an 8 shot .45. Since most of them cant shoot their way out of a wet paper sack, they choose to carry something with all of the capacity that they can get. Plus, they've been dumbed down like the rest of society to accept that ratty Glock trigger which was designed for the masses that could'nt be trusted to train properly.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Unfortunately, the Chiefs are now part of the dumbed down generation too. I'd bet my next paycheck that if I were to show him a 1911 equipped with that system he'd be OK with it. Even though you and I know that nothing has changed, only in appearance. No matter to me anymore, I carry what I want to now.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I'm afraid that the glory days for the 1911 being carried by Officers is over. Even if some bright ,young,aspiring cop wanted to, his ninny chief might have a stroke if he even asked to carry one.

The younger crowd coming up into the ranks see little use for an 8 shot .45. Since most of them cant shoot their way out of a wet paper sack, they choose to carry something with all of the capacity that they can get. Plus, they've been dumbed down like the rest of society to accept that ratty Glock trigger which was designed for the masses that could'nt be trusted to train properly.
    This post is so true that it's sad.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by pistola View Post
    ....as John M. Browning rolls over in the grave.
    I am sure he does

Somebody put a lot of thought into that and its a neat gadget...but its still a gadget.
    It may appeal to one that is concerned about carrying a cocked and locked .45, but thats mostly a training issue.

I'll stay with the present system.
    I agree with you. Sure is the concept pretty neat, but I do not see any reason why I should want it. Actually, I only see reasons why I should not want it. IMO they wasted time and money rediscovering the wheel.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

No thank you, I'll keep my 1911 stock and carry it cocked and locked like I always do! Gadgets? Gadgets? I don't need no stinkin gadgets!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

This looks to me like an answer for an unasked question. However around here I see a lot of cops (not APD) carrying 1911s. In fact the last time I was at the Bastrop County Sheriff's Office, every one old enough to grow a proper mustache was carrying a 1911. Of course the "high speed low drag" Oakley wearing youngsters were all carrying Glocks.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

No Thanks,I don't see too many of these being sold,unless it's somebody that isn't too well informed and thinks a hammer down carry will make him feel safer
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by crabbys44 View Post
    This looks to me like an answer for an unasked question. However around here I see a lot of cops (not APD) carrying 1911s. In fact the last time I was at the Bastrop County Sheriff's Office, every one old enough to grow a proper mustache was carrying a 1911. Of course the "high speed low drag" Oakley wearing youngsters were all carrying Glocks.
    Hey now... I can grow a mustache of any variety, I carry a 220 because I wasn't allowed to choose a 1911, but I do wear Oakley's. (but not the ten pounds of plastic an huge logo billboard on the side of my face kind)

And just to be clear, Ole Sixto hasn't lost his grumpy old school mind. I posted this simply because I found it interesting and a "neat" gadget.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Hey now... I can grow a mustache of any variety, I carry a 220 because I wasn't allowed to choose a 1911, but I do wear Oakley's. (but not the ten pounds of plastic an huge logo billboard on the side of my face kind)

And just to be clear, Ole Sixto hasn't lost his grumpy old school mind. I posted this simply because I found it interesting and a "neat" gadget.
    Yeah man, I don't see that happening, I don't think you can do the Paul Senior (think American Choppers).

There actually is a significant following of the 1911 among younger shooters. I have a lot of my fellow Marines that prefer it as a handgun, and given the choice, we would carry it as a sidearm. Of course, we aren't police officers, and the only ones who ever get handguns are machine gunners, who get the M-9. Of course, most of us also shoot Expert on the Marine course of fire. But, as far as young cops go, I have know idea, but I am sure some would carry it is they could.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Easier to have a holster with a thumb break on it with that system. With that said, I would have to run it around to make sure when the time comes to it, the system will not fail on me.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

It does look like a neat system. The durability will be shown over time I guess. I will stick with my traditional 1911 for now.

Well I am a young(er) gun toting LE official not a police officer. I have a full nicely groomed beard and wear several varieties of Oakley sunglasses. I do carry a Glock because it is what is approved (which is the main issue with SAO 1911s), and what I am most proficient with because when I entered LE/investigations work. DA autos and to some extent revolvers were what were being used. Unfortunately, (LEOs back me up here) a lot more LEO are not gun people than used to be. they just see it as soemthing that hangs on their belt.

A 1911 deserves much more commitment to learn and be proficient with than most of the new LEO are willing to give. I personally love the 1911 as a system, but it doesnt make sense for my overall carry plan in regards to my training and what I am second nature using when the heat turns up suddenly.

I would like to have a 1911 in my collection some day but am way to particular for something like a 1911 to settle for an out of the box base model. So I will savemy sheckels and buy a semi decked out one.

The system as shown wit the hammer down is a novel idea and I am sure they will sell some most of the market they sell to are purist in the highest order and will scoff at the idea of this. I personally wouldnt own one.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links