Glock 23 suddenly stopped working properly... - Page 2

Glock 23 suddenly stopped working properly...

This is a discussion on Glock 23 suddenly stopped working properly... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 Hmm, very odd. When you bought the gun, was it new or used? Are the three magazines factory or after market? ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock 23 suddenly stopped working properly...

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Hmm, very odd.
    When you bought the gun, was it new or used?

Are the three magazines factory or after market?

Are the misfeeds occuring only when initially loading the first round of a new mag? Or does it happen during the normal cycle?

I don't believe this is necessarily your problem, but quit slamming your mags. It isn't necessary. Just be firm, not violent.

Answer these questions and we can get a better idea of the problem.
    It's been my experience both as a shooter and as an instructor, SLAMMING your mags hard enough to drop the slide is begging for trouble.

I thought it was a "time saver" when I was issued a M9 but of course Murphy showed up and buggered me up but good. I was getting failures to feed (slide dropped on an empty chamber) and then double feeds immediately after (a round tries to chamber when one already is) during malfunction clearance (tap, rack, bang (older school)). These problems miraculously went away when I quit slamming the mags!

Good luck.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    Actually, "slamming" brings me to another question. Are these the stock G23 magazines or the longer G22 magazines?

I believe that hitting a longer G22 magazine hard enough will bring the feed lips into contact with the bottom fo the slide - perhaps hard enough to damage them.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I would suggest calling up Glock and seeing what they say. Usually the Glocks are the most reliable. I think you might try seeing if anyone on Glocktalk can help you. They have a lot of people who know the Glock inside and out.

Administrator
    Did you disassemble everything for cleaning before this last shooting session? If so...check & make sure you have your magazine springs back in correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Hmm, very odd.
    When you bought the gun, was it new or used?

Are the three magazines factory or after market?

Are the misfeeds occuring only when initially loading the first round of a new mag? Or does it happen during the normal cycle?

I don't believe this is necessarily your problem, but quit slamming your mags. It isn't necessary. Just be firm, not violent.

Answer these questions and we can get a better idea of the problem.
    The gun was bought used, though with little to no signs of any visible wear.

The magazines are factory and are for the flush ones for the G23.

The misfeeds have been happening during the normal cycle.

At first I thought it was the ammunition as well, but the ammo I was using before that which had run fine also produced a failure to feed.

I didn't detail the strip before I shot it then, just a good basic cleaning / lubrication.

I did notice that the recoil spring looks a little bent out of shape on the guide rod, if that makes any sense. What I mean is that instead of it being straight on the guide rod, there is a slight wave-like shape along it. It's not extreme, but a little noticeable if you look at it. Not sure if that is normal - this is my first Glock.

Other than that, I saw nothing out of the ordinary when I field stripped it to clean it.

Quote Originally Posted by WvHiker View Post
    When I use Remington UMC in my Glock it often won't throw the slide back far enough on the last round to lock it open. Accuracy suffers as well. Take it to a smith if you like, but it's cheap to just buy a couple of boxes of different ammo and see if anything changes. Try American Eagle, WWB, Winchester White Box Nato, S&B; I bet you won't have the same problem with any of those.
    A BIG +1

I have a Gen4 G19 and I started with Rem UMCs. There were a lot of FTF and FTE and i was bummed because I thought I got a lemon. Tried different ammo and it worked flawlessly. No need to change out the springs. Just stop using the Rem UMC crap.

Did you happen to bring home another gun,are you paying as much attention to your glock as you did when the relationship was new and exciting,have you shot other guns your friends had while ignoring your glock in it's range bag.
    Sounds to me like your Glock is getting back at you for taking it for granted,Married men are fully aware of this type of behaviour whether it's a gun,or a girl the results are usually the same
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

is there any sequence in the jamming? I had a similar problem with my G32 when i put all new comp parts in it. it jammed on the second round for about 5 mags and then smoothed out.
    "I will give you her life.....For your life"

Alright, so I took it back to the range and fired about 110 rounds through it with all 4 magazines.

About 20 of those were the same UMC rounds that I had used when the gun was jamming, and to my surprise I was able to fire all 110 rounds, though all the magazines, without even a slight hiccup. A Glock armorer at the store/range I bought the gun at watched the gun cycle and said he saw nothing wrong.

I'm at a loss as to why the gun would one day decide to provide a failure to feed on nearly every magazine, and today run flawlessly.

I *might* have over-lubricated it (only explanation I can think of), but other than that I'm totally confused.

Any thoughts?

Contrary to popular belief, one does occasionally have to clean a Glock. Hard to believe, I know, but it is true. :)

I assume you cleaned it between range trips?

My assumption, without having it in front of me, is that it was just dirty/fouled. Cleaning it took care of the problem. I like to run a Boresnake through any gun I am shooting after a couple of boxes. It may not be necessary, but it doesn't really hurt either.

Good luck and hopefully this is the last of your problems with it.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

thats what i was referring to . New gun = new parts and new parts from time to time need a little "slamming" to get in a groove......
    "I will give you her life.....For your life"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links