Glock 23 suddenly stopped working properly...

This is a discussion on Glock 23 suddenly stopped working properly... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, I purchased my Glock 23 pretty recently. I put about 200 rounds or so through it without any issue. At the time, I was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So, I purchased my Glock 23 pretty recently. I put about 200 rounds or so through it without any issue. At the time, I was using Winchester white box rounds.

I and a few friends went out to a rural area to plink a bit, when I realized to my horror that my Glock 23 wasn't feeding properly.

Here are a couple things to note:
    1) I was using Remington 180 gr FMJ UMC rounds
    2) With the action open, slamming my loaded magazine into my gun would cause the slide to close and chamber the round
    3) Pretty regularly, a round would load crookedly into the chamber - simply racking the slide would cause that round to feed properly, but this happened almost every time I loaded a magazine and fired it.
    4) This happened with the 3 magazines I brought with me.
    5) I also shot a magazine of the Winchester ammunition that I shot flawlessly before, and even had a failure to feed on that one.

I'm not so sure limp-wristing was an issue considering I never had that problem before. I'm hoping this isn't a big deal, but does anybody have any ideas as to what could be causing this?

I thought that it might be a bad recoil spring, but I'm not really sure. I'll take it to an armorer as soon as I can, but hopefully some of you guys can put my mind at ease until then.

A limp wrist won't cause the slide release to activate on its own. Take that thing back. I'm no armorer, so I can't tell you what's wrong. But I know from what you've told us that something is not right.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PainCakesx View Post
    So, I purchased my Glock 23 pretty recently. I put about 200 rounds or so through it without any issue. At the time, I was using Winchester white box rounds.

I and a few friends went out to a rural area to plink a bit, when I realized to my horror that my Glock 23 wasn't feeding properly.

Here are a couple things to note:
    1) I was using Remington 180 gr FMJ UMC rounds
    2) With the action open, slamming my loaded magazine into my gun would cause the slide to close and chamber the round
    3) Pretty regularly, a round would load crookedly into the chamber - simply racking the slide would cause that round to feed properly, but this happened almost every time I loaded a magazine and fired it.
    4) This happened with the 3 magazines I brought with me.
    5) I also shot a magazine of the Winchester ammunition that I shot flawlessly before, and even had a failure to feed on that one.

I'm not so sure limp-wristing was an issue considering I never had that problem before. I'm hoping this isn't a big deal, but does anybody have any ideas as to what could be causing this?

I thought that it might be a bad recoil spring, but I'm not really sure. I'll take it to an armorer as soon as I can, but hopefully some of you guys can put my mind at ease until then.
    Item 2 on your list is completely normal. Particularly with polymer pistols where the mass is in the slide. You're applying forward force to the gun when you "slam" a magazine into it. The inertia of the slide causes it to lag behind the frame moving forward, which releases the slide lock.

As for the failure to feed, there's not really enough info here to make a diagnosis. Did these failures occur on the first round out of the magazine or randomly as you were shooting?

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    Hmm, very odd.
    When you bought the gun, was it new or used?

Are the three magazines factory or after market?

Are the misfeeds occuring only when initially loading the first round of a new mag? Or does it happen during the normal cycle?

I don't believe this is necessarily your problem, but quit slamming your mags. It isn't necessary. Just be firm, not violent.

Answer these questions and we can get a better idea of the problem.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Make sure the top round in the mag is seated all the way into the mag not jutting out. Try slowly inserting the mag to see if the problem persists.

I don't believe this is necessarily your problem, but quit slamming your mags. It isn't necessary. Just be firm, not violent.
    Same thought here. This is "just because you can doesn't mean you should" territory. Handle your firearms with care and respect.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Item 2 on your list is completely normal. Particularly with polymer pistols where the mass is in the slide. You're applying forward force to the gun when you "slam" a magazine into it. The inertia of the slide causes it to lag behind the frame moving forward, which releases the slide lock....
    I agree and have seen a number of polymers do that. It's not a flaw or a problem.

One thing I noticed, is that you seem to have more problems with the Remington ammo than the Winchester, so that may be a clue. Plus, I think and this is just my opinion, that Glocks tend to have heavy recoil springs which could prevent the slide from cycling fully with lighter loads like range ammo. I have experienced feeding issues with Glocks shooting WWB 9mm 115 gn ammo.

And this could be a couple of things working together: you may have gotten acclimated to the gun and you may be relaxing your muscles more than you realize - that would contribute to a feed problem. That coupled with lighter loads, i.e. range ammo may be the cause of the problem.

If you could get a seasoned shooter, especially a Glock person, to shoot the gun with the same ammo and mags, it might provide more info as to the nature of the problem.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

RKM
    #2 happens with my USP all the time. I think of it as a time saver :)

Senior Moderator
    Ah, Tangle reminds me of an important question - is the pistol in question a Gen 4 or an earlier version?
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.

I have found that with Glock, sometimes they change the followers in the mags from time to time, and I have had issues with the failure to go into battery with some older mags that work perfectly with an older Glock, but are causing issues in a newer model. Check this out, by using a mag with a different follower in it. Sometimes there is a small visual difference.
    They made change follwers in the middle of a production run. I do not understand this, and it seems like they should work regardless of follower since its a glock pistol and a glock mag, but this is an on going mystery.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Administrator
    If is a gen 4, replace the recoil assembly with a gen 3. UMC ammo is horrible, expect some issues with it. Other than that clean the gun real good and try different ammo.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    That recoil spring setup on the Gen 4. I've had to help several people put it back in. I see no advantage to that weird spring setup. What was Glock thinking?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    That recoil spring setup on the Gen 4. I've had to help several people put it back in. I see no advantage to that weird spring setup. What was Glock thinking?
    they weren't
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

When I use Remington UMC in my Glock it often won't throw the slide back far enough on the last round to lock it open. Accuracy suffers as well. Take it to a smith if you like, but it's cheap to just buy a couple of boxes of different ammo and see if anything changes. Try American Eagle, WWB, Winchester White Box Nato, S&B; I bet you won't have the same problem with any of those.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I guess it's supposed to make the gun "shoot softer". And for quite a few people, it works - they don't even feel the recoil of the second shot in the string....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links