S&w 340?

S&w 340?

This is a discussion on S&w 340? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So recently there has been a lot of talk of .38 or .357... I too was interested in a .38 (442) but reading all the ...

Thread: S&w 340?

S&w 340?

So recently there has been a lot of talk of .38 or .357... I too was interested in a .38 (442) but reading all the threads I am wondering if anyone had anything to say about the S&W 340? It could be used as a back up but maybe used more for hd or range. Now that I said that I know some of you will say go for a 4-5" .357, but right now I'm interested in the 340. Thanks for the time and info

Nice gun, not much more to say. It's stronger and lighter than a 442 and it's a .357mag, it's no treat shooting magnums out of it but you can always shoot .38s instead. Of course there is also the cost factor, close to twice what a 442 costs but if you really want it......

Distinguished Member
    I have a 642 and a 340. The action is smoother on the 340 and I like the front big dot sight on the 340. Neither one is fun to shoot 50 rounds out of. My trigger finger hurt for about 2 weeks after shooting just 10 rounds of 357 in it. So I don't practice much with them, thus I don't shoot them that good. That's why I bought a Kahr P9. Just as easy to carry, except for pocket and I shoot it much more accurately. I am not trying to change your mind, just giving you my experience with them. They make both now with out the internal lock. If I wanted to pocket carry or a BUG, I would pick the 442. I don't think the 340 is worth twice as much as a 442, even though it is better IMO. If I wasn't going to pocket carry I would get a steel revolver with a 2 1/2" or 3" barrel . If you lived in Va. you could get a good deal on a lighty used M&P 340, but with shipping cost and FFL fees it wouldn't be such a good deal to mail it.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    I have a S&W M&P 340. It is about 12oz unloaded & a delight to carry. It is not a range gun though & I have it loaded with .38 because as I get older I would rather not punish myself like I used to do. However, I always have the option for .357 mag just in case I feel the need.
    SCGunLover1

My brother has a 340 and he likes it because, as he says, if it's rated for .357 then it's going to be able to handle any .38 he cares to put in it with no issues.

I have the LCR, S&W638 and the 637. The 340 is on my list and then I'll be happy. I say go for it, IMO it's the perfect deep cover revolver option for CC.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I like my 340 pd. 357 is not fun to shoot but is manageable. Range time is 38’s but carry with 357. The way I see it if I ever had to use it for defense I can handle a sore hand. I am going to add some Crimson Trace grips this summer.
    NRA Member
    Glock 19,26
    S&W 340PD

Ok I have the M&P 340. I love it for what I use it for, deep concealment and a summer pocket gun. I persoanlly have shot 50-75 rounds of 38 with no problems at a range session. The .357 is manageable if you know what to expect and are willing to do it. IT feels like a firecracker going off in your hand. I have shot some big calibers and hand stinging mini guns but this one is the worst I have messed with.

Now that being said. I LOVE it. Love the big sight on it, and how it is simply disappears in a good IWB or pocket holster from sight and mind. I load it up with the first three rounds of 38 +p and the last two with 357 GDHP SB. I figure by the time I get to the last two rounds my adrenaline will negate the sting of the 357. If it is my primary then I also carry a speedloader full of 357. If you want it get it. Dont mind the extra cost over the 442. It is a better gun in a lot of ways.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Cool thanks for the input. That's my thoughts too I will be able to fire .357 rounds if need be. I just haven't shot a .357 round out of a gun this small so the range is the next step. And a deal on it would be nice if I was in VA because a couple dollars off of $1K would be cool.

Distinguished Member
    For $1K you must be looking at the 340 PD, titanium cylinder, 11.4 oz, fiber optic front sight. I like the 340 M&P better, it weighs a little more, 13.3 oz, has a SS cylinder and front night sight. If you are paying $1K for a M&P 340, you need to PM me or look at Bud's and GB.

If you're looking at $1000 for a 340 you're shopping in the wrong place. Bud's has the M&P 340 for $687 and if you want an absolutely smokin' deal on a scandium .357 and don't mind an exposed hammer (bob it later) they have a basic 360 for $483!!!! Smith & Wession 360 357mag Liquidation Item $483.00 SHIPS FREE

Yeah it was the PD. The m&P is around 700 and change if I remember corectly. But I will def look into the 360. I will know more about the 2 mid week hopefuly when I can handle them both and fire them. Has anyone been up to S&W recently or bought from them directly in MA? I've been up there to shoot just havent been in a while. Wonder if they give any deals?

to the previous poster please note that the 340 M&P from buds w/o the ILS is about 20-30 more then the price you listed.
    The 360 on clearance is a different S&W model sku and is NOT the normal M&P finish but a blued finish and note it does not have the night sight... it is not an M&P 360 nor a standard 360. You can google that sku number to see some previous posters comments about it....

Quote Originally Posted by Kroper View Post
    Cool thanks for the input. That's my thoughts too I will be able to fire .357 rounds if need be. I just haven't shot a .357 round out of a gun this small so the range is the next step. And a deal on it would be nice if I was in VA because a couple dollars off of $1K would be cool.
    Get the M&P version the Ti cylinder on the PD isnt worth the extra money for 1 oz less weight, which in this case is a hinderance due to recoil.

Be patient and cruise Gunbroker. I bought one from a guy who bought two, one for him and his wife. He fired 5 rounds out of hers for functiona dn it went in the safe so he sold it to me for about 350 less than retail. Cruise everyday and be patient and you will find one. Also if you dont mind a hammer look at the 360, same gun with an external hammer.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Links