1911 why do you own one?

1911 why do you own one?

This is a discussion on 1911 why do you own one? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am really struggling with the purchase of a 1911, spending $800 plus on a gun I want to make sure it is worth it. ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: 1911 why do you own one?

1911 why do you own one?

I am really struggling with the purchase of a 1911, spending $800 plus on a gun I want to make sure it is worth it. I am looking at 1911's under $1000 for target and some ccw. I am interested in the better trigger that the 1911's have and the 45acp cartridge.

So what are three reasons you own one?

The trigger, ease of concealment due to the slim build, the historical aspects, it is an accurate .45ACP, I actually like cocked and locked carry, the heft of the gun just soaks up recoil for fast follow up shots, and I'll also throw in, I just plain think they look awesome.
    Last edited by buckeye .45; May 15th, 2011 at 08:04 PM.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

^^^ + 1

Wink just to name a few of the many reasons

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    The trigger, easy of concealment due to the slim build, the historical aspects, it is an accurate .45ACP, I actually like cocked and locked carry, the heft of the gun just soaks up recoil for fast follow up shots, and I'll also throw in, I just plain think they look awesome.
    ....plus it is easy to take down,clean,and repair.Throws a big chunk of lead that penetrates deep and cuts a large wound cavity whether it expands or not.It has been in existance for over a century and was used by our armed forces for 3/4 of a century.It's all of that and then some.Did I mention it's not plastic??
    U.S. Army Veteran

VIP Member
    The slimness and the feel of how the grips is and how the web of your hand sinks into the beavertail. The trigger is second to none, and they are very accurate. I also think they balance very well when shooting because of the solid steel construction.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    I inherited my Colt Government Model.
    I've owned two or three others, but never warmed to them as a carry gun, so I traded them away.

Administrator
    > The crisp, short, clean breaking trigger.

> The ergonomics & the fact that it naturally hits where I look.

> The large bullet diameter.

> The fact that it is a firearm that can be so easily tailored to get it exactly the way I want it.

> In addition...I LOVE custom Ivory grips & it's impossible to put them on a Glock.

Bought it as a duty BUG

Slim

.45ACP
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

los
    Easy to customize. Easy to modify. Easy to accurize. Easy to conceal. Endless availability of aftermarket parts and holsters.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Overall, its just bad arse. To many pros to a 1911 to list.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

I am a handgun enthusiast...that being the case and having a small diverse collection, I feel like I HAVE to own one.

I rarely carry mine, although it does carry well. I mostly have it for the range with occasional carry and to have a diverse collection of various types, styles, and calibers to show and teach people new to handguns.

Quote Originally Posted by MichSteve View Post
    I am really struggling with the purchase of a 1911, spending $800 plus on a gun I want to make sure it is worth it. I am looking at 1911's under $1000 for target and some ccw. I am interested in the better trigger that the 1911's have and the 45acp cartridge.

So what are three reasons you own one?
    FWIW, you don't have to lay down a grand to get an entry level 1911. I bought a used 1911 RIA GI model .45 from a forum member here and got the gun, 6 mags, and a Serpa Blackhawk holster for $300. It's a great shooter, never had any problem with it. I wanted one plain jane. If you're going to customize one, you're better off buying one already decked out. The Springfields are really nice and have several models with various levels of goodies already on them. That's what I was going for when I stumbled across my RIA....too good a deal to pass up.
    Last edited by JD; May 17th, 2011 at 02:11 PM. Reason: merged posts
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Pretty hard much to what has already been said about them. I shoot mine better than any other gun I own. It feels like a natural extention to my arm.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

GM
    Yes, the trigger is awesome, it is very easy to conceal, it points naturally, it is very accurate, etc. etc. All that is true, but you will never understand what a 1911 really implies until you own one
    RevolvingMag and helderberg like this.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Own just one?? I don't know any 1911 owners who own just one :)

1911 fan

Ever since I was a boy I have been fascinated by the 1911 pistol. I bought my first one about 45 years ago, a WW2 veteran made by Remington Rand. Since then I have bought about a dozen of them, of which I still have 7, and shoot them frequently. When I carry a gun it will often be a 1911. I like their feel, trigger, caliber and accuracy. On my personal list of the best handguns ever invented, the 1911 is at the top.

Here is one of my current crop:

MtflyerHK likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links