Hammer v. Striker - Page 2

Hammer v. Striker

This is a discussion on Hammer v. Striker within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by loneviking I'm with Guantes and his list of reasons. A first shot DA allows you to feel the movement of the hammer ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Hammer v. Striker

Quote Originally Posted by loneviking View Post
    I'm with Guantes and his list of reasons. A first shot DA allows you to feel the movement of the hammer as you pull the trigger back. With practice you can tell when the trigger is ready to break. IMO, DA/SA is safer esp. When holstering. Put your thumb behind the hammer and ride the gun into the holster. Its impossible to have an ND doing this, but holstering striker fired systems is where NDs often occur.
    Holstering without trigger discipline is where NDs occur.

The only ND I was next to was with a P229 (poor trigger discipline).

I've seen the aftermath of a 1911 ND where the thumb on the hammer was worthless and in fact caused greater injuries (good trigger discipline, bad trigger mod (trigger shoe) and thumb safety not fully engaged).
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

I'm fine with either, but I probably prefer a hammer. It probably relates somehow to my 20 years as a die hard revolver guy. I really like DA/SA hammered semis with a de-cocker. Again, the similarities to a spurred hammer revolver come to mind for me. The semi that I have now that gets carried more than the others is a striker fired XD40sc. I'm fine with it too. I mostly like and carry revolvers.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

JT
    Striker
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    ford or chevy.
    toyota!!!=)
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

I have both! Most of my early pistols were single or double action hammer fired. Including a wonderful Colt MKIV 70 series 1911. That pistol alone will turn you into a fan of single action triggers. I now have a Browning Hi-Power, single action, hammer fired. Two XD9 pistols striker fired. I was happy with those until age and joint / back problems caused to search for a slim, light, compact carry pistol for carry. I resisted Kahr for a year while I shot friends different small pistols. EMP, two different Kahrs and a few other small pistols. I have shot revolvers through the years and never liked the double action trigger. However the Kahr grew on me as I shot several different models. A PM9, and a KM9. I chose to try a less expensive CW9. Mostly for the $425 dollar price, and full grip / longer barrel to dampen the recoil! Well it is my carry pistol, outstanding trigger, the smoothest double action I have ever pulled!

I still love the Browning and especially the XD9sc, which I have thousands or rounds down range! But I have 900 + through the CW9, it has been flawless! I like all pistols, hammer, striker, double or single. I ramble, so I will stop! I guess the short answer is Hammer or striker does not matter to me.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Ford or Chevy.
    MOPAR POWER, MOTHER !!!!! .....Oh... sorry... trained response.

Striker in my 24/7- no hammer to catch on anything, visual/tactile confirmation for chambered round and cocked, de-cocker to make safer for reholster/carry.
    Last edited by RevolvingMag; May 17th, 2011 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Got distracted when someone drove by in a 440 Charger, and forgot the real topic.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by guardmt View Post
    toyota!!!=)
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    MOPAR POWER, MOTHER !!!!! .....Oh... sorry... trained response.

Striker in my 24/7- no hammer to catch on anything, visual/tactile confirmation for chambered round and cocked, de-cocker to make safer for reholster/carry.
    Don't hate the metaphor. Hate the metaphorior.

He he, I just made up a new word. :)
    empyre180 likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Don't hate the metaphor. Hate the metaphorior.

He he, I just made up a new word. :)
    I like making up new words; it's great.

I DO prefer MOPAR, but almost every manufacturer has put something wonderful out there. (Cars and guns) Toyota has the (diesel) Hilux pickup that will run forever. Chrysler has anything with a big-block, anything with a slant-six, and anything with a 318 and the 'other' engine built on that design (NOT a 360). Ford has (older) Mustangs, and full size trucks/vans. GM has (much older) Camaros and Corvettes, and decent (older) trucks. Mazda's RX cars and the (pre-Ford) B-Series pickups....

Same with guns (although I don't know quite as much about different gun-makers as cars).

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Own both and it doesnt matter to me. I dont worry about a "visual indicator" as I treat them all as if the are chambered.

First and foremost I am a 1911 guy. I prefer a hammer to a striker 99% of the time. I just like the look, feel of a hammer. I might be getting a S&W Sigma which would be my first striker. I will be renting one before getting it. (I might be trading a snubby revolver for one). I just shot my first striker last weekend, (an XD 9). Not bad, but not my 1911 either.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    AZdaven, save the snubby, its a bad trade to get a snubbie traded for a sigma
    RevolvingMag likes this.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

As for negligent discharge with a striker fire (at least like my Taurus) when you push the thumb safety up, it 'clicks' into safe, but a little more pressure de-cocks it. So you have to put a good bit of pressure on the trigger AFTER turning the safety off to fire it.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I prefer the consistency of the striker. With a hammer you either have a long trigger pull or one that's too short.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Hammer fired, because striker fired pistols are mushy. The trigger sucks. A hammer fired trigger is superior in every way.

Yes, I have both. Yes I shoot them all alot. When shooting hostage targets, the hammer fired pistols are much easier to hit with because of the trigger. With a striker fired pistol you have enough slop in the trigger that the gun moves alot when trying to bust off the shot. This can result in the hostage getting whacked. Thats never a good scenario and subjects one to much ridicule and ribbing when shooting with others.

Striker fired pistols are for the unwashed,uneducated pistoleers that done shoot much at all, never mind shooting at hostage targets.

Hammer fired pistols are used by precision shooters. You can cock the hammer, take up slack and have a nice clean trigger that breaks like a glass rod, which makes for a more accurate shot. Using a striked fired pistol that breaks about like a 2x4 makes it difficult.

I would have to pretty much agree with HotGuns on all of his points here. Although I probably would not put down the striker pistols quite as much, as I have seen some folks do some pretty fine shooting with them. Probably of all of the Striker type pistols that I have tried, the two Springfield XD handguns that I shot had the best feeling trigger. Better than what I have on my Glock 17, or my S&W M&P

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Hammer fired, because striker fired pistols are mushy. The trigger sucks. A hammer fired trigger is superior in every way.

Yes, I have both. Yes I shoot them all alot. When shooting hostage targets, the hammer fired pistols are much easier to hit with because of the trigger. With a striker fired pistol you have enough slop in the trigger that the gun moves alot when trying to bust off the shot. This can result in the hostage getting whacked. Thats never a good scenario and subjects one to much ridicule and ribbing when shooting with others.

Striker fired pistols are for the unwashed,uneducated pistoleers that done shoot much at all, never mind shooting at hostage targets.

Hammer fired pistols are used by precision shooters. You can cock the hammer, take up slack and have a nice clean trigger that breaks like a glass rod, which makes for a more accurate shot. Using a striked fired pistol that breaks about like a 2x4 makes it difficult.
    This is one of my all time favorite posts here. I love the "nice clean trigger that breaks like a glass rod" part. Pure poetry. No kidding I had to get to the range after reading this, the quote danced in my head as I shot my Sig.

Thanks.
    empyre180 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links