Hammer v. Striker

Hammer v. Striker

This is a discussion on Hammer v. Striker within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, the thread about the Sig P290 v. Kahr PM9 video made me think. In the video, the guy states that he prefers a hammer-fired ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Hammer v. Striker

Question Hammer v. Striker

OK, the thread about the Sig P290 v. Kahr PM9 video made me think. In the video, the guy states that he prefers a hammer-fired pistol because "it helps him anticipate his shot." First, I'm pretty sure that all firearms instructors will tell you that anticipating the shot is one of the key problems that most people have so being better able to do so is not a good thing.

I have seen other people mention (in that thread and others) that they "prefer a hammer to a striker." Personally, I've shot both and find nothing intrinsic to either that would make me say I prefer one over the other. Whether I prefer a gun that happens to be striker-fired has very little to do with the fact that it's striker fired.

If you have a real preference, can you explain why?
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

I prefer hammer fired handguns. They give me options that I favor. I don't own a striker fired handgun.
    1. I have the choice of single or double action on a shot.
    2. By simple hand action, I prevent any ND on reholstering.
    3. Feel or visual tells me the condition of the weapon at any given moment.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

I feel pretty much the same as Guantes, though I freely admit I've fired FAR less shots from a striker-fired pistol (and don't feel the need to go out of my way to do so).

I CC a striker' but shoot a revolver much more accurate at further distance, Probley because I can stack the trigger ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I've got both, and it doesn't matter to me either way. With my XDm I can visually check if it is ready to go...I can see and feel the pin on the back of the weapon and there is an indicator that tells me if there is one in the pipe. I feel very comfortable with the weapon. I also have a 1911 and a Bersa Thunder...both have hammers....love them both. I don't think it makes any difference at all.
    NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    Ford or Chevy.
    Spec, Top Strap, Ally and 2 others like this.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    all personal preference.. I always like options and a DAO/SAO gun is good in certain situations. A cocked hammer is easier Like mentioned above long distance shots or pinpoint aiming, and DA mode for holstering or everyday carry.

I however like Striker fire pin better and that is what I carry. I have shot both and I like the Striker better because I like consistency. I like to know every time I pull the trigger it will break at same spot. for anything... Lets face I i'm not going snipping with my handgun so those long shots are out of the question.. and reholstering is a non issues if you know what you are doing..
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

It doesn't matter to me either.

HOWEVER, a hammer fired DA weapon will give you "second strike" capabilities if you have a misfire. There are striker fired guns out there that have second strike ability but I just don't know which ones.

Having said all that, the typical accepted wisdom for a failure to fire is tap, rack, bang (assess, reassess, etc.). It's more of a confidence & training issue.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

For pocket carry, I think a striker is better. The rear of the slide is sealed better, and less gunk gets into the gun. I do notice less dust and lint inside my PM9 (striker) compared to my LCP (hammer).
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Ford or Chevy.
    Some Dodge fanboy is going to be upset here in a bit

the same trigger pull every shot..... striker

Senior Moderator
    Hammer fired, because striker fired pistols are mushy. The trigger sucks. A hammer fired trigger is superior in every way.

Yes, I have both. Yes I shoot them all alot. When shooting hostage targets, the hammer fired pistols are much easier to hit with because of the trigger. With a striker fired pistol you have enough slop in the trigger that the gun moves alot when trying to bust off the shot. This can result in the hostage getting whacked. Thats never a good scenario and subjects one to much ridicule and ribbing when shooting with others.

Striker fired pistols are for the unwashed,uneducated pistoleers that done shoot much at all, never mind shooting at hostage targets.

Hammer fired pistols are used by precision shooters. You can cock the hammer, take up slack and have a nice clean trigger that breaks like a glass rod, which makes for a more accurate shot. Using a striked fired pistol that breaks about like a 2x4 makes it difficult.
    21bubba and bmcgilvray like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Hammer fired, because striker fired pistols are mushy. The trigger sucks. A hammer fired trigger is superior in every way.

Yes, I have both. Yes I shoot them all alot. When shooting hostage targets, the hammer fired pistols are much easier to hit with because of the trigger. With a striker fired pistol you have enough slop in the trigger that the gun moves alot when trying to bust off the shot. This can result in the hostage getting whacked. Thats never a good scenario and subjects one to much ridicule and ribbing when shooting with others.

Striker fired pistols are for the unwashed,uneducated pistoleers that done shoot much at all, never mind shooting at hostage targets.

Hammer fired pistols are used by precision shooters. You can cock the hammer, take up slack and have a nice clean trigger that breaks like a glass rod, which makes for a more accurate shot. Using a striked fired pistol that breaks about like a 2x4 makes it difficult.
    Tell us how you really feel, HotGuns.
    Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.
    - Mike Tyson

I'm with Guantes and his list of reasons. A first shot DA allows you to feel the movement of the hammer as you pull the trigger back. With practice you can tell when the trigger is ready to break. IMO, DA/SA is safer esp. When holstering. Put your thumb behind the hammer and ride the gun into the holster. Its impossible to have an ND doing this, but holstering striker fired systems is where NDs often occur.

Senior Moderator
    Tell us how you really feel, HotGuns
    Well...since you asked...

There is one area in which the striker fired design wins and that is in the area of construction. Having built both designs from scratch on rifles, the hammer fired design requires more parts and more precise locationg of the hammer,sear,disconnector, and safety to work properly. Think AR15 here. That is a hammer fired weapon. The striker fired rifle or pistol, such as a Remington 700, is easier to build and to get to work. You basically have a spring loaded firing pin held back by a sear that is dropped when the trigger is pulled.

Even so, the pistol manufacturers will not take the time to make a striker fired pistol have a nice smooth trigger. They could but it would cost too much for the average Joe to afford.

So, the average man buys the cheapo striker designs like a Glock or a Highpoint and the more discriminating weaponeer will stick with the more sophisticated designs which allow better triggers...suchs as the Sigs or HK's.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links