PM45 or G36 as a BUG

This is a discussion on PM45 or G36 as a BUG within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, wanted some opinions, i cary my sprinfield trp daily, and now im into consolidating calibers for ease of stockpiling amunition. So now im ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: PM45 or G36 as a BUG

PM45 or G36 as a BUG

Hello all, wanted some opinions, i cary my sprinfield trp daily, and now im into consolidating calibers for ease of stockpiling amunition. So now im in the market for a BUG in 45 so just looking for some input, im down to the kahr pm45 and the glock 36 but any input is welcome

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I opted for the Kahr PM9 for the same reasons (consolidating calibers), no regrets here and would love to get a PM45 one day.

VIP Member
    Haven't shot the PM45, but I do have a CW45 that I carry on work days. Rest of the time I carry a 1911. Mtself I'd op for the Kahr.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The Kahr seems to be narrower overall hence easier to conceal. I've got the PM40 and consider trading it for a PM9. Same thought as above - consolidating calibers. However, my gripe about the Kahr is the long trigger reset. My main gun is a Glock.
    Uli Gebhard
    Suarez International Staff Instructor California
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    www.gebhardsolutions.com

I'm not sold on the idea of consolidating calibers. With the recent ammo shortages, it might be an advantage to have guns in different calibers - if ammo is scarce, at least you'll have a gun that will use whatever ammo you're able to find.

I think both of these guns are too big for the BUG role - but I know there are some out there who carry some large guns around. My primary nowadays is a PM9 with a LCP to back it up...but my needs might be more discreet than yours.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

10thmtn i agree with u to have a gun to shoot what u can scrounge so i wont get rid of anything i have, just right now im stockpiling as much 45, 7.62x39, and 308. That i can. And your right that its big for an average bug but im 6'-3" and about 300 so either fit me pretty well to pocket carry or ankle

Well, if you can swing it, I would go with the G36. Kahrs have a manual of arms that is a bit funky, like needing to use the slide release to reliably chamber the first round. The Glock is much more "user friendly" and will just plain work.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

If the need should arise, my Glock-36 (my EDC), can easily be carried in my IWB/SOB holster...very comfortable.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by ranastas View Post
    Hello all, wanted some opinions, i cary my sprinfield trp daily, and now im into consolidating calibers for ease of stockpiling amunition. So now im in the market for a BUG in 45 so just looking for some input, im down to the kahr pm45 and the glock 36 but any input is welcome
    I switched to a G36 early this year as my EDC and I love this gun! Very accurate, low recoil, 7 rounds of 45 and it always goes bang. I can't see using a G36 as a bug but for a main carry gun I find it hard to beat as a self defense weapon. I have always been confident with only a primary carry gun and have never considered a so called BUG.

Well its not so much a back up gun as it is a deep concealment option when im not carying my 1911. When im carying my 1911 i realy dont feel the need for a backup gun but the option is nice to have

VIP Member
    My preference is for the G36. I have very large hands and the Glock is about as small as I am comfortable shooting.

I don't think of it as a BUG, but rather, a second option or as deep concealment. Both are rather large for the role of BUG, but if you are as big as you say, you should be able to pull it off.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

That is probsbly my biggest concern is the ballance between enough grip to shoot proficiently with and small enough not to print badly. I have shot the g36 and i like it, i havent shot the pm 45 yet and they seem scarce as range guns i assume because of price

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ranastas View Post
    That is probsbly my biggest concern is the ballance between enough grip to shoot proficiently with and small enough not to print badly. I have shot the g36 and i like it, i havent shot the pm 45 yet and they seem scarce as range guns i assume because of price
    Ha! Yup, you aren't going to find may Kahr's as range rentals. Your best bet is to befriend someone who owns one and beg a test session.

The size was my deciding factor. I just am not comfortable with the micro-mini-sub-sub-compacts. My usual set up is in an OWB high-ride carried weak-side just behind the hip. I found that the G36 is just too big for ankle carry and only works as a pocket carry in cargo pants.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I'm a big fan of carrying two guns - even if it means downgrading the size of your primary. JMHO. Two is one, one is none.
    CT Lasers

Can't go wrong with a Glock 36, very reliable and very concealable.
    Glock 19
    Springfield XD45
    Para Ord SF-45-A

Being a victim is a choice, it doesn't have to be yours - Support Concealed Carry on Campus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links