Ultra compact 40 cal - Page 2

Ultra compact 40 cal

This is a discussion on Ultra compact 40 cal within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You might want take a look at the Smith & Wesson M&P 40 compact. I don't own one, but I've only read very favorable reviews ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ultra compact 40 cal

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    You might want take a look at the Smith & Wesson M&P 40 compact. I don't own one, but I've only read very favorable reviews on this gun. Seems to cost just a bit less than a Glock and Smith often runs rebate sales. It's high on my wish list.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jakedoinit View Post
    I'm looking for a very concealable 40 cal. Can anyone offer suggestions on a good choice? I've been looking alot online and found the Kahr but they just seem to pricy. For that kind of money I would buy something different. I would like to find a reasonably inexpensive model if possible. I like the Kel Tec but they only come in 9MM. Ideas?
    If money is an issue I would look for a good used Glock 27 should run around $350-$400 depending on the location. It is my primary carry weapon, and so far in NC its been hot as heck and I can still carry it with my wardrobe without any problem. Unless your situation dictates a .40 cal or if that is what you are really looking for, you might be better served by looking at a 9mm as well. There are a lot more options out there in 9mm than there are in .40 cal, and you don't lose too much going with a 9mm. What you do possibly lose going to a 9mm you make up in shoot-ability. I prefer shooting my buddies glock 26 over my Glock 27 due to the snap the .40 cal has.

Look for a Kel-Tec P40, the .40 cal version of the P11. Like this

Kel Tec P40 Box Papers 40 S&W : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Did they have a Kahr CW40? It's priced alot lower than the "regular" line of Kahrs. It is very slim and compact, and priced about the same as the other "main" makes. (around $450 here)

I'm just saying this because you seem to like the Kahrs. I have a CW9, and it has performed flawlessly. I'm not a big fan of the Kahr trigger, but that's just my personal preference. Can't knock the gun, it does what it is supposed to do.

VIP Member
    Like jwhite75 said, get that P40, if you can. I use the Kahr 16oz PM40 as a BUG to my 23oz IWB 45, because it's the only 40 that slips into my jeans off hand back pocket. The Kahr trigger is worth the extra $$ over the bigger Kel-Tec. If money and recoil are issues, consider the Kel-Tec PF9. I think Kahr has or soon will come out with a cheaper CW version of the 40 in the same size as the PM40. Did I mention how snappy the PM40 is?
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by mill419 View Post
    Taurus has the PT740. It's the .40 cal version of the PT709.
    I've shot my buddy's PT740 a bit and I love it. Small yet shoots great. Not a bad shooter at all. Recoil is no more than in my PT709.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

You didn't give your price range, but in looking at Kahrs, did you check the CW40? Not too bad a price and a decent weapon. Already mentioned is the Glock 27. Were it me, I wouldn't let price drive my decision if this is a carry weapon. Save your money and buy good quality. Keep a look out for used pistols to same a little-there are always good deals floating around.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    They're not in production anymore, but you might be able to find a used S&W 4013. Very compact and lightweight. Should be inexpensive used. Mine works like a charm, I've had it many years and love it.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by Armydad View Post
    Springfield XD 40C or SC.
    +1 For the SA XD/XD(m) COmpact are subcompact

Distinguished Member
    Although I would surely not call it ultra compact, I am really really surprised at how slim the XD 40 feels after wearing one for a few days. The Glock 19 feels like a checker cab compared to it. The XD 40 grip just feels slim - it's longer but it has this nothingness skinny feel to it.

The blocky head part seems just as clunky as the Glock so no real gain there. The spare mag however is noticeably slimmer too.

And 13 plus 12 rounds! I'd check out this gun, try them on. p.s. the Springfield website is pretty crummy, if you are looking for specs go elsewhere.

Don't have one myself, but thought I'd through out the CZ Rami since it comes in that flavor as well. Lots of different options to boot as far as frame materials, de-cockers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    ...I think Kahr has or soon will come out with a cheaper CW version of the 40 in the same size as the PM40. Did I mention how snappy the PM40 is?
    Before I bought my CM9, I e-mailed Kahr with a few questions, including, "When should we expect the CM40 to come out?" Their reply was, "The release date for the CM40 has not yet been announced." Noncommittal, but encouraging!

The CM40 ought to be the same size as the PM40, but will probably sell for about $450 (around the same as the CM9 is going for).

Regards,
    Jim

the Glock 27 would be a good bet. You can use the G23 and G22 mags for reloads. I carry a G30 in 45 everyday and it's wider. My friend really likes his HK P2000sk. That's a pretty compact and slim to me 40.

I would go for the Glock 27. It is a very nice gun.

If you want "ULTRA" compact, as you state in the title, then it really boils down to a single stack. That eliminates everything listed but the Kahrs, Walther PPS, and Taurus PT740. It just depends on what your definition of ultra compact is. I have a XD40sc and I really like it, shoot it very well, and it isn't difficult to carry...but I would not describe it as "ULTRA" compact.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links