Ultra compact 40 cal

This is a discussion on Ultra compact 40 cal within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a very concealable 40 cal. Can anyone offer suggestions on a good choice? I've been looking alot online and found the Kahr ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ultra compact 40 cal

Ultra compact 40 cal

I'm looking for a very concealable 40 cal. Can anyone offer suggestions on a good choice? I've been looking alot online and found the Kahr but they just seem to pricy. For that kind of money I would buy something different. I would like to find a reasonably inexpensive model if possible. I like the Kel Tec but they only come in 9MM. Ideas?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by jakedoinit View Post
    I'm looking for a very concealable 40 cal. Can anyone offer suggestions on a good choice? I've been looking alot online and found the Kahr but they just seem to pricy. For that kind of money I would buy something different. I would like to find a reasonably inexpensive model if possible. I like the Kel Tec but they only come in 9MM. Ideas?

Walther PPS, nor real inexpensive, but is a fine compact and comes in 40 SW.

I've been carrying the PM40 for about four years. Conceals well, works well, good selection of holsters... I think that other than the Wlather this is pretty much the only .40 in this size class....
    Uli Gebhard
    Suarez International Staff Instructor California
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    www.gebhardsolutions.com

PM40? Is that a Kel tec?

Glock 27 is very easy to conceal! I carry g26 almost every day......IWB, appendix, 3:30,4:00......OWB......jeans, shorts, pullover, button up shirt, T Shirt, etc. Just plain easy to conceal, shoots well, and adequate capacity! Lots of carry options for this little Glock sub compact!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Sorry bud I had forgot the model numbers on the Kahr's. Nice but a bit pricey. I do like the Glock's Outfitter and already own a 20. I may look into the 27. Thanks for the info so far guys.

PS: relatively in-expensive, as well......especpecially if you look around for a good used one! Good Luck....
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

Yep good idea and thanks again.

Taurus has the PT740. It's the .40 cal version of the PT709.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides" - Thomas Jefferson

Springfield XD 40C or SC.
    Cattus Vir likes this.

I have a Glock 27. IMO probaly the perfect CC weapon. Conceals great with any attire. 10 rounds of .40 as opposed to 5-7 rounds in a single stack. At $500 the Glocks and Walther PPS are probaly as cheap as you can get a reliable concealable .40. The Taurus PT740 is cheaper and feels great if you dont mind taking a chance on Taurus reliability. I would also look at the XD sub-compact and the S&W M&P.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I went from a Glock 27 to a Kahr PM40.

I sometimes left the house without the Glock 27 just because it was a pain to get sorted with my M-Tac before I got the PM40.

I never leave the house without slipping the PM 40 in the pocket of my jeans or shorts. Very easy to carry the PM40.

Dirty

I've got the Glock 27. Light to carry and easily concealable. Not cheap but worth it. ;)
    "An armed man is a citizen. A disarmed man is a subject."
    Anon.

Kahr MK40 is a fantastic EDC, quality all around plus a very nice "feel" to me, and the extra weight of the metal frame helps tame the bite of the 40 from a small gun, hence easier to shoot accurately. Small enough to pocket carry in SOME pockets, a little too big for dress slacks.

PM40 is the same except polymer frame, therefore lighter weight with the corresponding pluses and minuses.

Glock 27 is also great but somewhat larger than the Kahr, so about impossible to pocket or ankle carry and that limits it as an EDC for some of us.

As to cost, buying the gun is a one-time cost, might as well have something good to feed expensive ammo through. It's like getting a dog, $1000 pedigree or free mutt, the vet bills and dog food are the big $$, so might as well be picking up dog poop from a quality dog....

I would suggest a Kahr P or PM40 but....

I've had a Kahr P40 but I'm having some problems. While it is working smoothly, it is nice... small enough to conceal, love how it feels in my hand and shoots. It's a gun that likes to be cleaned and well lubed as I've found out. I've had mine since January 2011 (New Years Day precisely) and I've shot approximately 1000 rounds through it.
    There is a couple of problems I'm having with it now and these have to do with the magazines and I believe the barrel. The magazine follower has broken and apparently a lot of other P40 and PM40 owners have had the same problem. I think the problem might be in the match-up of the follower and the loading ramp in that they don't quite come together right. Since this seems common with many owners, it's my guess it is a manufacturing problem.
    I'm looking for some information on my P40 barrel. I need to compare it with a "working barrel" that hasn't been seen as having problems. The following link is a page I've put together explaining my problems and seeking help: Kahr P40 Problems
    Kahr is working with me on the follower that broke and I'm glad of that but they're not seeing the issue with the barrel and have said they saw no problem.
    To actually recommend a Kahr pistol, I'd have to see how Kahr handles my problems as well as others and suggest you do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by jakedoinit View Post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links