Can over-lubrication lead to Glock jams?

This is a discussion on Can over-lubrication lead to Glock jams? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I mentioned before that my Glock had been having some strange issues with failure to feeds and jamming. In trying to figure out the problem, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Can over-lubrication lead to Glock jams?

I mentioned before that my Glock had been having some strange issues with failure to feeds and jamming.

In trying to figure out the problem, I went back to the range and fired over a hundred rounds, including the ammo I shot during the time of jamming, and had them go through without a hitch.

I tested all 4 magazines with no issue.

I'm at a loss as to why the gun would one day decide to provide a failure to feed on nearly every magazine, and today run flawlessly.

I *might* have over-lubricated it (only explanation I can think of), but other than that I'm totally confused.

Any thoughts?

Administrator
    Yes, that can cause a lot of problems.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I can't see it causing problems unless you were basically shooting it immersed in a bucket of the stuff. I assume it wasn't literally pouring and dripping everywhere, to the point where you couldn't even hang on to the pistol anymore. I feel that if something was that overlubed, you'd definitely notice.

Strange. Sorry to hear though... I'm sure your confidence in the pistol has been damaged.
    OD* likes this.

It actually sounds like you had NO lube. That affects slide velocity. However I run my Glocks almost completely dry; just 6 drops of lube.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Now that I think about it, I was being a little rough with the gun that day (I have since stopped doing this) in that I was kind of slamming the magazine into the gun such that the slide would close and chamber the round without me doing so manually. From what I understand, a Glock doing this when a magazine is slammed into an open gun is fairly normal, though obviously probably not recommended.

Could this perhaps lead to the issues I was having?

I hadn't done this before and after the incident, so I'm thinking that maybe this could be the cause?

Thoughts?

Did you post this on another thread?

It's not just Glocks that will act up when "slamming" the mags home hard enough to drop the slide.

Sometimes the first round from the mag will not chamber, or it will partially chamber "jamming" the action open. In your OP you said "I mentioned before that my Glock had been having some strange issues with failure to feeds and jamming. " Was this happening only on the first round and not during regular firing? If so, it looks like you found your problem.

Stay safe.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Nope, it happened in the middle of shooting the magazine.

I will shoot a few rounds fine, then one will be fed in crooked.

You got something else goin on besides lube problems and loading the mag too hard. Is it a gen 3 or 4? I would if possible have a armorer check it out.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by PainCakesx View Post
    Now that I think about it, I was being a little rough with the gun that day (I have since stopped doing this) in that I was kind of slamming the magazine into the gun such that the slide would close and chamber the round without me doing so manually. From what I understand, a Glock doing this when a magazine is slammed into an open gun is fairly normal, though obviously probably not recommended.

Could this perhaps lead to the issues I was having?

I hadn't done this before and after the incident, so I'm thinking that maybe this could be the cause?

Thoughts?
    You will not break your Glock by handling it rough. It is a combat handgun and meant to take a beating. I slam my magazines in hard (sometimes causing the slide to go forward like yours) and rip the slide to the rear hard. You could rip the slide back like your trying to rip it off of the receiver and it will do nothing bad to the gun.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by PainCakesx View Post
    Nope, it happened in the middle of shooting the magazine.

I will shoot a few rounds fine, then one will be fed in crooked.
    That makes me suspect the magazine more than the gun. Stock mags or aftermarket? Does the follower move up and down without a hitch? Look for bent feed lips or a worn follower...
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Cool

They will put you online with a Glock Armorer to answer your questions. Ask for Tech Support.

GLOCK, Inc.
    6000 Highlands Parkway
    Smyrna, GA 30082
    U.S.A.
    Tel.: +1 770 - 432 1202
    Fax: +1 770 - 433 8719
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I don't know if this would create the problem but after loading the magazine tap it so all the ammo is seated to the rear of the magazine. Good Luck
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    That makes me suspect the magazine more than the gun. Stock mags or aftermarket? Does the follower move up and down without a hitch? Look for bent feed lips or a worn follower...
    They are stock.

The follower seems to move fine.

I suspected the magazines too, but I don't know why they would work flawlessly for 300 or so rounds, fail for the next 100, and then work flawlessly again for the next 100+ rounds.

Too much lube (meaning any at all) that gets into the striker channel can turn into mud that can result in a mis-fire or light strike. I've heard that Glocks don't like too much lube, and I run mine fairly dry (I use TW-25B grease) but I have not seen an explanation (other than above) for how "too much lube" can actually cause a malfunction. Not sure if there is any truth to that, or just one of those internet myths...
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Yes, it can cause damage. The old first Gs were packed in gold dust along the slides were flakes of it that (you were supposed) to take the gun and shoot it several rounds, therefore impregnating them along the slide. Minimal lubing-if you see it running out of the cracks, it's probably too much.
    A bad magazine can cause jams and don't forget to check the overall length of a round of any suspected ammo-maybe bullet not seated properly or taper crimped properly (case too fat to fit chamber easily). Never shoot lead in a Glock-hexagonal rifling-it can clog & explode.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links