Hi Points

This is a discussion on Hi Points within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A lemon can be found with any manufacturer. Hi Point's lifetime warranty follows the gun to a new owner if sold as a private sale. ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Hi Points

A lemon can be found with any manufacturer. Hi Point's lifetime warranty follows the gun to a new owner if sold as a private sale. I know several people who own them and all are satisfied. I just don't think that they would be concealable.

As whodog says, they would make great house/car/truck/boat guns. Something happens, lifetime warranty. Lost or stolen, you're not out a lot of money.
    Around here, all Hi-point caliber pistols are less than $200, with tax.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

These things are constantly evolving. Tom, the owner of the firm, is serious about reliability. He will be the first to tell you that he makes "cheap guns". But he is always looking for ways to improve them economically. It is a small operation, with direct hands-on control, and therefore changes/improvements can be made immediately. For instance, the overall finish quality has improved drastically in just the past two years.

But they still use a #4 Phillips head wood screw to secure the grip panels...

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I was looking at a Hi-Point. In either .40 or .45. I didn't get one because I found a great deal on my Taurus, and I couldn't find anyone/anywhere that would let me test fire one before I bought it.

I've heard the horror stories concerning Hi-Points, and I've heard some great reports from owners who have put thousands of rounds through them. So, as far as I can tell, it really just matters which production run you get. I'm thinking about getting one as a house gun.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Hi-Point / Glock = granny smith / red delicious

I once saw a video of a hi-point 9mm torture test and I will assure you it did quite a bit better than your $1000 1911 would do....
    “Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.” Han Solo

VIP Member
    Glocks stink! Hi-Points rule!!

Not!
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha View Post
    I once saw a video of a hi-point 9mm torture test and I will assure you it did quite a bit better than your $1000 1911 would do....
    Thats like saying your chevette will beet my corvette. Not going to happen.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Thats like saying your chevette will beet my corvette. Not going to happen.
    Chevette will still be puttering along when the 'Vette is out of gas....
    Ghettokracker71 likes this.

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Chevette will still be puttering along when the 'Vette is out of gas....
    Depends on what is meant by "beat".

Chevette will last longer, can hold more people/a baby seat, can hold more cargo, has cheaper insurance, require less maintenance, require less gas,be more comfortable to climb in and out of everywhere you go(I've driven several generation 'Vettes, they are HARD to get in and out of.My old boss when at the last shop I worked at drove a C5 vette everyday, at around 65k the auto trans was shot,...Granted:I don't think Vettes should be made with autos ANYWAY)....etc..

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Depends on what is meant by "beat".

Chevette will last longer, can hold more people/a baby seat, can hold more cargo, has cheaper insurance, require less maintenance, require less gas,be more comfortable to climb in and out of everywhere you go(I've driven several generation 'Vettes, they are HARD to get in and out of.My old boss when at the last shop I worked at drove a C5 vette everyday, at around 65k the auto trans was shot,...Granted:I don't think Vettes should be made with autos ANYWAY)....etc..
    LOL, you guys are killing me. Ill put my 1911 up against any hi-point any day of the week. That is what I should of said.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Ex Member
    The ONLY handguns I own are pre lock Smith & Wesson's. That said I wouldn't hesitate to use a High Point to defend myself. They work.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    LOL, you guys are killing me. Ill put my 1911 up against any hi-point any day of the week. That is what I should of said.
    Agreed. I'm sure that the 1911 would overall perform better. Unless it wasn't broken in. I fired a new PT1911, it was pretty nice. Except that if shooting inside a barn I'm not sure that I could have reliably hit the same wall twice in a row. But, a well broken in 1911 I'm sure would definitely be better than a Hi-Point.

But, a couple advantages of the Hi-Point are the price, and the fact that if you run out of ammo it makes one hell of a brick to throw/hit someone over the head with. Not the best gun in the world, granted. But I'm sure it's the best thing you can get new for less than $250. And it's better than nothing. (Oddly, the same thing almost everyone says about a .22)

My Honda isn't wonderful. It's an '82, it's a hatchback, and turned over 325k miles, and it's slower than a Chevette (But much prettier. Yeah, I went there...), but I can reliably turn 27mpg in town. 37mpg interstate. I'd put it up against anything else when it comes to longevity, or overall usability.

Not saying that a Hi-Point is that great, but just saying that sometimes the 'cheaper' option ends up being the better.

Agreed. I'm sure that the 1911 would overall perform better. Unless it wasn't broken in. I fired a new PT1911, it was pretty nice. Except that if shooting inside a barn I'm not sure that I could have reliably hit the same wall twice in a row. But, a well broken in 1911 I'm sure would definitely be better than a Hi-Point.

But, a couple advantages of the Hi-Point are the price, and the fact that if you run out of ammo it makes one hell of a brick to throw/hit someone over the head with. Not the best gun in the world, granted. But I'm sure it's the best thing you can get new for less than $250. And it's better than nothing. (Oddly, the same thing almost everyone says about a .22)

My Honda isn't wonderful. It's an '82, it's a hatchback, and turned over 325k miles, and it's slower than a Chevette (But much prettier. Yeah, I went there...), but I can reliably turn 27mpg in town. 37mpg interstate. I'd put it up against anything else when it comes to longevity, or overall usability.

Not saying that a Hi-Point is that great, but just saying that sometimes the 'cheaper' option ends up being the better.

Well said my friend. My VW TDI (1998) has 260k, never changed trans, never changed clutch.. just a gem for the price. Same can be said about Hi-point's. They don't have all the bells and whistles.. but if it was nothing or a hi-point, well I would choose hi-point.
    Plus I lived in Lima, Ohio (where they are made. +1 to Lima

I got my duo tone Bersa for somewhere in the area of $219. I'd take a Bersa .380 over a Hi-point .45 all week long.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I don't like rounds that small. Closest I have to that is my .357. But that's a mag, and will make a much bigger impact on whoever meets the muzzle end of it. I don't argue that a .380 isn't a decent defense round, but I would take almost any .45 over something that small as a primary defense gun.

Just for the record, I AM looking into a .22mag pocket pistol for a BUG. Of course, only to be used after the 22 rounds I have on hand for my .45ACP. I don't like the smaller caliber rounds for defense, but I CAN see/accept that they DO have their place. (Usually at the back of the line)
    Last edited by RevolvingMag; May 17th, 2011 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Bad wording.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links