Hi Points - Page 3

Hi Points

This is a discussion on Hi Points within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by threefeathers I gave a CCW class in which three people used them. They not only worked but all three blew the middle ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Hi Points

Hi-points

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    I gave a CCW class in which three people used them. They not only worked but all three blew the middle out of the target. Soooooo, I think for someone with a limited income they just might be a good H D gun. Certainly they are better than nothing.
    I have owned two Hi-Points for two years. A 45 and a .380
    They are both point of aim accurate and if you keep them clean they are problem free.
    They are every bit as accurate as my other other handguns for way less
    LIfe time warrenty

Like the carbines( 9mm and 45)- hate the pistols.

My only experience with one was a .45 a friend had.It just wouldn't work.It took him maybe 6 or 8 minutes to shoot a whole clip.One round sounded like a bottle rocket(It was WWB).When he asked me if i wanted to try it i said no.I was out shooting him with a Ruger LC9 and i'm not that good.

They are fugly guns. But better than nothing and they don't have to look good to shoot good. I say if it is all you afford go for it. Plenty of time to save up and get something else and in the meantime you can train and shoot and be protected.

Senior Moderator
    High Points.

Hmmm. What can I say? I've seen two of the slides break in half on new guns. It seems that they either work well or not at all.

I keep reading that they are the greatest thing to hit the shelves...mostly from people that have never picked up another gun off the shelf.

Some people swear by them. Me? I see enough coming through gun classes that I hate to see them. I see people that have fine homes, good vehicles, and cheapo guns. What does it really say when someone that makes a good living shows up at class with one? It tells me two things that may be possible with this person. One, is that he dosent know anything about guns. Or if he does,maybe he is a cheap sucker that dosent take protecting his life seriously. It may be that he is a newbie to the whole scene and took some bad advice.

Its one thing to be so broke that it is all you can afford...something to "fill the gap" until you get on your feet. For people to actually say, sure they work, they are accurate, they feel good, they are great guns, may be true at the time... but how long will that last? Will it be the same 1000 rounds from now? Will the paint be flaking off, with the barrel be wore out, will the sights be tight, will the magazine still function reliably enough that if you HAD to, you could depend on it for your life?

One thing that I learned a loooong time ago as a Machinist,is that if you buy cheap tools, it will cost you more in the long run to replace them than it would have to buy a good quality one in the first place. A gun is a tool. A very important tool that could save your life if it works or end your life if it fails.

Since a gun is a tool, how is buying a cheap gun any different than buying a cheap tool?
    buckeye .45 and SIXTO like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Siddhartha View Post
    I once saw a video of a hi-point 9mm torture test and I will assure you it did quite a bit better than your $1000 1911 would do....
    Thank you so very much for making my day ...
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

The compact 9mm works well, balanced-although very heavy-it stays right on target during rapid fire. Polish the feed ramp/inside barrel throat to prevent problems. My friend has two of these and did have a problem with one and sent it back to the factory for repair...it FTF. EVERYONE THAT HAS ONE NEEDS TO KNOW...DO NOT USE 124GRN OR LARGER GRAIN AMMO. The 115grn 9mm works every time-they will FTF with the heavier bullets-this is from the factory reps. Also note: they are heavy duty and will function with +P and probably the +P+ with no problems. Shoot point of aim-fire them and works well...just prefer a lighter gun myself or a 15rnd magazine if I have to carry something that heavy. The Carbine is pretty neat too and works great, but it's hard to keep them on a pie plate past 75 yards with the open sights. Most of problems with 9mm is probably that heavy bullet and would not recommend shooting them in any compact pistols to prevent jamming.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Thank you so very much for making my day ...
    So true... We were way overdue for another Hi-point thread. I think SIXTO was missing them too.

There isn't a bullet, 147 included, that my HP 9mm guns haven't liked.

I think this guy loves his

ofcourse the picture is from a recent bank robbery

2 Lansing banks robbed on Tuesday | Lansing State Journal | lansingstatejournal.com

He needed the money for a better gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Walk Soft View Post
    He needed the money for a better gun.
    What, so he could buy a Glock??? LOL

Sponsor
    Big and heavy, not a carry gun but a good shooter, i keep one over my table at night, if i run out of bullets I'll beat the assailant to a pulp with it.

Love the 40 S&W. The warranty is the best, but just in case, you can use any junk around your garage to replace parts.
    Go with the glow

VIP Member
    I'm waiting for the first person to jump in and say that a Hi-point is better than any other gun out there. I'm waiting...I just love these threads. : )
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by whodog View Post
    What, so he could buy a Glock??? LOL
    yeah, but its the customization of the putting the sights on the right side of the slide for the gangsta grip that he needs the extra money for

I had a Hipoint 9c pistol, shot accurate, didn't like grip/feel, didn't like the fact that the mag release would activate in a holster too easily, or sometimes when out on the range
    I quickly sold it and got my wife her XD9c, but now she carries a G26

I acquired a Hipoint 9 carbine a few months ago......still siting in the back room, haven't even shot it yet.....isn't that ridiculous?, maybe I'll clean it up and take it when I take the son to the range in a couple of weeks after school is out, will need to do range report with his new Remington 597 .22 and my SKS both recently acquired
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links