Hi Points

Hi Points

This is a discussion on Hi Points within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I gave a CCW class in which three people used them. They not only worked but all three blew the middle out of the target. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Hi Points

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar

Hi Points

I gave a CCW class in which three people used them. They not only worked but all three blew the middle out of the target. Soooooo, I think for someone with a limited income they just might be a good H D gun. Certainly they are better than nothing.

Administrator
    Talk about tossing a grenade in the room and walking away.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Personally, if I was on a budget, and needed an HD gun, I'd be looking at a Mossberg Maverick.
    enk5 and C hawk Glock like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I have a Hi Point 995TS carbine. It is a fun and reliable plinker. I like the warranty. I don't have one of the pistols. But people that have them love them. I just didn't like the feel in my hand. I have a ruger SR9 for HD. But I would like one for a trunk gun. Did any one see the torture test on Youtube by iraqveteran8888. They punished that handgun. I don't know if others would stand up to that - poly or metal body.

VIP Member
    While I personally would not own one all reports I have seen is they are reliable and will feed anything. If that is all someone can afford it is much better than a rock or brick.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

While I personally DO own one, all reports I have seen is they are reliable and will feed anything. And they do feed anything... And I can get a couple of them for my home, and my cars, and anywhere else I want because they're way cheaper than the others. Lifetime warranty... I definately like them, lots!!!!
    bunker and JerryMac like this.

If it was all I could afford,I would carry one,or if I needed a truck gun,or tackle box gun I would toss one in and always have one wherever I went without worrying about rust issues etc.IIRC I use to see his / hers,or father/ son deals on 2 for under $200.00 IIRC
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Lightbulb flick your Bic

I think of them as the Bic lighter of handguns. They are inexpensive,work fine for a while......
    U.S. Army Veteran

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I always find it interesting how folks that admittedly have no experience with them are fast to jump in and say "their junk" . (See older threads about them. )

I've always like the carbines, and like the concept of an affordable AMERICAN made firearm with lifetime warranty and worthwhile c.s.
    oneyeopn likes this.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    I always find it interesting how folks that admittedly have no experience with them are fast to jump in and say "their junk" . (See older threads about them. )
    Nobody has yet. So I will. I've got plenty of experience with them, and I say they are junk. But, go buy them if you want. Its your money, not mine.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post

I've always like the carbines, and like the concept of an affordable AMERICAN made firearm with lifetime warranty and worthwhile c.s.
    I have two C-9's put away in long term storage. It will be a desperate day if they ever come back out. I've earned the right to hate.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Wow, I never said that people with EXPERIENCE don't chime in AS WELL. Just saying, ever since I've joined gun forums I see a huge trend of people saying "they are crap" while being open about having no experience to them.

That, and the whole "its ugly" thing is beyond annoying and just plain stupid. Its a tool, a weapon. Its not supposed to be "pretty", its supposed to be "functional". If you don't trust it because perceived lack of quality, or you owned one/several that proved unreliable, fine don't own/carry one. If it doesn't fit well in your hand and you can't shoot accurately with it, then its probable not a good choice for you.. But "its ugly"? We're not talking about a significant other, or a destination vacation spot.
    oneyeopn likes this.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I do not own, and have not fired a Hi Point Pistol so I cannot speak to its reliability but I will say the ones I've handled do NOT feel good in my hand at all, the plastic feels like the cheap stuff airsoft pistols are made from (which I'm sure it's not but it's how it feels TO ME YMMV) and the trigger just felt crappy, both of which are very important factors to me when selecting a firearm, especially for personal protection.

Phillip

Quote Originally Posted by pistola View Post
    I think of them as the Bic lighter of handguns. They are inexpensive,work fine for a while......
    Excellent analogy. I recently put 500 rounds through a C9 (one frame/barrel, five different slides) for a project for a colleague who is doing a "paper". I recorded two malfunctions in those 500 rounds, but the kicker here is that the barrel was basically shot out at the end. The first bullets recovered showed sharp, crisp rifling marks. The last bullet shows faint suggestions of rifling marks. Accuracy testing was not part of this particular protocol, but the gun and slides are still sitting on the bench behind me, and if I get ambitious enough I'll take it to a regular range and shoot it at 25 yards, just to see.

They can be surprisingly accurate. The local sheriff's office FTU has one they use to shame no-shooting deputies who claim "something is wrong" with their issue Glock pistol (to explain their abysmal performance in training/qualifications).

We see, on the average, a dozen or so of these things every week here in the lab. We have come to appreciate the simplistic efficiency of the design. We actually chipped in and bought a .45 example for one of our examiners, as a joke gift for a special occasion. He shot it enough to confirm that it worked properly, and uses it for a "car gun".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    ...They can be surprisingly accurate. The local sheriff's office FTU has one they use to shame no-shooting deputies who claim "something is wrong" with their issue Glock pistol (to explain their abysmal performance in training/qualifications).
    That's funny! I'll concede that mine were accurate (when they weren't FTF or randomly locking the slide back). That's an interesting observation on the barrel. I never thought to examine the fired rounds. I was probably too horrified when the cheap paint quickly peeled off the barrel and gummed up in the slide.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links