Glock 26 vs Ruger sr9c (poll)

This is a discussion on Glock 26 vs Ruger sr9c (poll) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; of your two choices, glock 26. FWIW, for my current CCW - I also had these two on the short list. I wanted a striker ...

View Poll Results: Ruger sr9c or Glock 26?

Voters
307. You may not vote on this poll
  • i think the Glock 26 is the better choice

196 63.84%
  • i think the Ruger sr9c is the better choice

111 36.16%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Glock 26 vs Ruger sr9c (poll)

of your two choices, glock 26.
    FWIW, for my current CCW - I also had these two on the short list. I wanted a striker fired subcompact with full size mag as an option for reloading/range shooting. I also wanted to be able to pocket carry the firearm and ultimately went with an M&P40C with it's gas pedal thumb safety and no mag safety or internal lock. Price on all three were not an issue as all 3 are about the same.
    Maybe you would want to thow that one into the mix in 9mm if you hadn't ruled it out. I wish I could have had the glock trigger with the M&PXXC grip/feel and Ruger size/price. Just kept coming back the M&P because it felt good in the hand, shot well, met my other desired features... I would suggest shooting all of your options at least twice if it is for daily carry. Rarely used subcompacts tend to end up safe queens or sold off if you don't choose carefully up front.

2. Remove Ads

I'm a fan of both Glock and Ruger, see my sig.

Of the two, it all boils down to the thumb safety. You can remove the mag disconnect in the SR9c if you want to.

So, do you want a thumb safety - or not?

I don't. So, my vote would go to the G26.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

I'd go with the G26 as well. Of the pistols I own, the G26 is my favorite. Accurate and perfect funtion. What else could I ask for?

Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    hey spec, have you had any problems with or heard anything regarding the sr9c being prone to light primer strikes or the trigger failing to reset..seems some sr9c owners had this problem,atleast with first production runs?
    I'm not Spec, but I'll offer my perspective.

The light-strike issue, based on my pre-purchase research, was isolated to either the user not having properly pre-cleaned the pistol before their initial range-trip (Ruger puts on some rather heavy grease as corrosion protection, prior to shipping the pistol) or a lack of proper maintenance of the pistol thereafter (detailed by Ruger's own, official, video instructional sets).

I've personally never had such a problem, and yes, I took care to pre-clean/lube the pistol before its first outing.

I bought my SR9c this winter (actually, January of 2011), and I did not see any trigger reset issues in my pre-purchase searches. Likely, this was an earlier-release issue that eventually was buried with newer Forum posts/threads.

My only problem with my SR9c was a Loaded Chamber Indicator that snapped clean in half - you can read about my problem, as well as its resolution, here:

SR9c Loaded Chamber Indicator (LCI) - snapped off! - Ruger Forum

In my online searches for other reports of this problem, I could only find one other instance. More than likely, it's just a random freak occurrence: a mis-casting or failed heat-treatment.

Regardless, it's not a vital component of the pistol.

I've since become much less active in the Ruger community, simply because I bought the SR9c as a backup to my XDm9s (I own a full-size for class-work/training and HD, and a 3.8 Compact as true EDC). In the time I was there, the main focus of the community had been on a couple of reports of guide-rod failures and also reports of peening.

Of the peening issue - typically focused on both the forward edge of the barrel hood as well as the rear lugs - some were really quite bad. My own shows some peening, but nothing near the extent of those posts on this thread:

SR9c Preening Problem - Ruger Forum

- and certainly, mine has not gotten any worse, either.

----

Again, I would really encourage you to go out and fire a few hundred rounds through each of these two choices, if that's possible.

Yes, there's certain operating/control-gear differences (some of which can be accounted for, like the magazine interlock, which can be removed), and yes, there's obvious ergonomic differences, too. But there will be more subtle differences (the trigger, for one) which won't be apparent to you until you truly test-fire these pistols.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    I personally would never buy the SR9c for CCW because of the safety.

The Glock 26 shoots and carries great.

I voted for the SR9c because it fits my hand sooooo much better than the Glock.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Both are good guns without a doubt. I tried both and chose the SR9c because ie fit my hand better. The Glock felt too thick. Those who want to complain about the safety...just don't use it. The SR9c has a sweet trigger and is very accurate.
    Last edited by tommy62; May 21st, 2011 at 10:05 PM. Reason: errer in spellun

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    I'm not Spec, but I'll offer my perspective.

The light-strike issue, based on my pre-purchase research, was isolated to either the user not having properly pre-cleaned the pistol before their initial range-trip (Ruger puts on some rather heavy grease as corrosion protection, prior to shipping the pistol) or a lack of proper maintenance of the pistol thereafter (detailed by Ruger's own, official, video instructional sets).

I've personally never had such a problem, and yes, I took care to pre-clean/lube the pistol before its first outing.

I bought my SR9c this winter (actually, January of 2011), and I did not see any trigger reset issues in my pre-purchase searches. Likely, this was an earlier-release issue that eventually was buried with newer Forum posts/threads.

My only problem with my SR9c was a Loaded Chamber Indicator that snapped clean in half - you can read about my problem, as well as its resolution, here:

SR9c Loaded Chamber Indicator (LCI) - snapped off! - Ruger Forum

In my online searches for other reports of this problem, I could only find one other instance. More than likely, it's just a random freak occurrence: a mis-casting or failed heat-treatment.

Regardless, it's not a vital component of the pistol.

I've since become much less active in the Ruger community, simply because I bought the SR9c as a backup to my XDm9s (I own a full-size for class-work/training and HD, and a 3.8 Compact as true EDC). In the time I was there, the main focus of the community had been on a couple of reports of guide-rod failures and also reports of peening.

Of the peening issue - typically focused on both the forward edge of the barrel hood as well as the rear lugs - some were really quite bad. My own shows some peening, but nothing near the extent of those posts on this thread:

SR9c Preening Problem - Ruger Forum

- and certainly, mine has not gotten any worse, either.

----

Again, I would really encourage you to go out and fire a few hundred rounds through each of these two choices, if that's possible.

Yes, there's certain operating/control-gear differences (some of which can be accounted for, like the magazine interlock, which can be removed), and yes, there's obvious ergonomic differences, too. But there will be more subtle differences (the trigger, for one) which won't be apparent to you until you truly test-fire these pistols.
    thanks TSIWRX for the detailed response,i will definitely look into this before making any decesions..

I own a Glock 26. I love the Glock trigger and I shoot my G26 just about as well as my G17. However I have small hands. The Glock is just a bit too big in my hand. The SR9c fits my hand much better than the G26. Although I haven't shot one yet.

I have a friend in another state who's father bought an SR9c. Both he and his father absolutely love it! They both rave about it so much it's kinda annoying!

I am seriously entertaining the idea of selling both my Glocks and replacing them with an SR9c!
    Question Everything!

There is nothing like a Glock. It is reliable, accurate and easy to maintain. There are options on top of options to customize it. (My G26 has a butt plug, extended mag and slide release, Ghost trigger job, CT laserguard, and I'm putting a tungsten guide rod in it. - it really just purrs). I also have a Kahr PM9 which is pretty 'glock-like' in many ways and a S&W BG380. The two smaller guns are easier to carry but don't have the same feel as the Glock. Once you go Glock, you'll be impressed. I have heard some people say they do not like the Ruger configuration. Check them both out and test fire...
    The poll now shows Glock at better than 2:1 over the Ruger.

DoctorBob has a great point.....there are so many things you can don with a g26. I carry g26 more than any of my other pistols at this time.....with a trigger job and 3.5# connector, it's real sweet shootin! Also have 15 round g19 magazine with spacer to make for a real nice grip with added capacity. But then once again, it's your choice and all depends on your needs and what feels and shoots best for you!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

You cannot go wrong with either,I own both. For me the Ruger has a great trigger and very accurate. It has been flawless for over 750 rounds. But than again Glock has a proven record and has been flawless for me too. Either choice I believe you win..stay safe!!

Although I do not have a G26, I do have a G23, and I voted for the SR9c - I prefer pistols with manual safeties, and the Ruger trigger seems to be better than the Glock's.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

I prefer the Ruger over the Glock. My SR9c is reliable, comfortable, and American-made. The Glocks that I have shot are not comfortable to me, though I have been told that they are reliable and Austrian-made.

boomer
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I tried both and decided on the SR9. But this is a personal decision. Go to the range and shoot both. Which one is more accurate for you? Which feels better in your hand?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links