Colt New Agent, Defender and Springfield Arms??

This is a discussion on Colt New Agent, Defender and Springfield Arms?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What are the thoughts on the Colt New Agent both SA and DAO, the Colt Defender and the Springfield Compacts? Looking to purchase one of ...

Thread: Colt New Agent, Defender and Springfield Arms??

Colt New Agent, Defender and Springfield Arms??

What are the thoughts on the Colt New Agent both SA and DAO, the Colt Defender and the Springfield Compacts?

Looking to purchase one of them and have only had the opportunity to hold the Springfield and an older Defender.

Going to trade my Glock 23 to try and eliminate so many different calibers and stick with the 45 as I already have a Kimber and a Glock 36.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Colt Defender

I don't have experience with the Springfield compacts or the Colt New Agent, but I have had a Colt Defender for 5 years and would endorse it highly. It has a good trigger feel and ergonomics, has never jammed, and is quite accurate. I find it very easy to conceal because of its thin profile with slim grip panels.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I made a mistake. It was the Defender that they had it was the Para-Ord DAO. I didn't care for the feel or the trigger pull on that.

I've got a Colt New Agent 45, a Colt Defender Plus 45 and a Springfield V10 Ultra compact 45- No issues with any of them. The Colts are lighter-aluminum frame.

What I am trying to do now is justify spending $800+ for another weapon. I will probably trade/sell my Glock 23 (still unsure about that) to offset the cost slightly.

I have a Colt Defender that I bought used. It gave me issues as there was a bur in the ramp according to my gunsmith and was giving me feeding issues. After he fixed that, it's my prefered carry. I like the feel, weight, .45 firepower and it's concealibility.

I'd hold onto the G23 though. It's a little thicker and might weigh an once or two more (I think) fully loaded compared to my defender loeaded. But 13+1 capacity is nice to have.
    "Get rid of that chrome plated sissy pistol and get yourself a GLOCK"

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    The new agent will be the lightest and the thinnest. I had one and tested it thoroughly and it functioned great with many styles of ammo.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    The new agent will be the lightest and the thinnest. I had one and tested it thoroughly and it functioned great with many styles of ammo.
    You mentioned that you had one. Do you no longer have it?

I am not up on all the newer models but I have had a Colt Officers model, steel frame for well over 20 years. It's a gun I'll be passing on to my heirs after I'm gone.

As far as the Springfield goes, I read their 1911's are top notch! I have an XD and love it, so that's about all I can say regarding the Springfield.

I'd give a slight edge to Colt over Springfield, but that is based solely on the name. I don't think you'll see a whole lot of difference in quality. The good thing is that both seem to have enough different models and features to fit just about every taste or need.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceF View Post
    You mentioned that you had one. Do you no longer have it?
    I have a disease that causes me to buy and sell way to much! I did get rid of it because something else at the moment tickled my fancy, and I only KEEP some guns and this didn't fall into that catagory but it is a great gun.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Quote Originally Posted by Dragman View Post
    I have a disease that causes me to buy and sell way to much! I did get rid of it because something else at the moment tickled my fancy, and I only KEEP some guns and this didn't fall into that catagory but it is a great gun.
    Soinds like me. I am also guilty of that over the years. It looks like I will have to decide between the Defender and the New Agent.

Links