You guys just keep dis-ing Kimber and MIM, and I'll just keep doing this - pic heavy

You guys just keep dis-ing Kimber and MIM, and I'll just keep doing this - pic heavy

This is a discussion on You guys just keep dis-ing Kimber and MIM, and I'll just keep doing this - pic heavy within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gun: Kimber Pro Carry, Al frame, 4 inch bbl, 28 oz empty Ammo: CCI Blazer AL case Shooter: Tangle Date: 17-May-2011 Range: 7 and 15 ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: You guys just keep dis-ing Kimber and MIM, and I'll just keep doing this - pic heavy

Senior Moderator

Gun: Kimber Pro Carry, Al frame, 4 inch bbl, 28 oz empty
    Ammo: CCI Blazer AL case
    Shooter: Tangle
    Date: 17-May-2011
    Range: 7 and 15 yds as noted

Kimber left side C&L by ron.0000, on Flickr

Kimber in Kramer scabbord II by ron.0000, on Flickr

First two shots at 7 yds, 3" dot:

Head shots-first two 7yds by ron.0000, on Flickr

Three shots, same target and range:

Head shots-three shots 7 yds by ron.0000, on Flickr

And to disclose the whole truth, 5 shots at 7 yds

Head shots-five shots 7 yds by ron.0000, on Flickr

Ok, when you look at the five shot group as a whole, not so impressive, so here's this. The next 5 shots @ 7 yds. 3" dot:

7 yds-5 shots by ron.0000, on Flickr

Ok, so much for warming up and easy stuff. Here's four shots at a 1" dot at 7 yds:

1 in dot 4 shots 7 yds by ron.0000, on Flickr

I didn't miss the dot; I shot it away and had to paste on another for reference. And because the paper tears away, here's a pic of the 4 shots in the cardboard backer:

1 in dot 4 shots backer 7 yds by ron.0000, on Flickr

But how about 15 yds? Ok, how about this, 4 shots at 15:

15 yds-4 shots by ron.0000, on Flickr

Still not convinced the Kimber Pro Carry is real? Here's the first shot at 15 yds:

Orange 15 yds-frst shot by ron.0000, on Flickr

Then, here's the last four shots of 100 shots, bringing the total through the Kimber to 400 shots: Five shots, 15 yds, and yeah I let one get away from me - on the white about 11:00 with respect to the three inch orange dot. There's four shots in the orange somewhere. Either that or I missed the entire target.

Those four on the target are a 1 inch group, measured center to center.

Orange 15 yds-five shots by ron.0000, on Flickr

This gun shoots better than any gun I've ever shot! And I should say this: when I first shot this gun, i.e. the first 100 rounds, I couldn't shoot it at all! If you had been there and had a nice knife that was sharp, we could have traded. After the second 100 rounds, I would have given you one of my nice knifes to take the gun. But after completely stripping the frame and lubing it with Gun Butter grease, the trigger pull dropped from 4 lbs to 3.25 lbs and I started getting the hits. Today, after 400 rounds, I remeasured the trigger pull and it is now right at 3 lbs and I haven't done a thing to it other than strip it and grease it.

I can't speak for how it's going to hold up over time; I'm always suspicious of Al framed 1911s, but right now it's the best gun I own.
    pistola and AZDaven like this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Impressive shooting my friend. I have began to get the 1911 bug again myself, and you are not helping. I have no problem with Kimber, or the MIMs parts. Not even an aluminum frame bothers me. Personally, I wonder how much of an issue these things really are, and how much is hyped regurgateded inet hype.

Kimber is probably one of the few 1911s I have not owned. Funny thing, I am pretty progressive in my taste for guns, so when I think 45, it's got to be a Colt, or even Springer for me. I just can't seem to get around that. I also am stuck on the traditional barrel/bushing type configuration.

I am going to put money down on a Commander size gun, and I will look at Kimber based on your evaluation. I wonder if they make that size with the regular barrel configuration?

Thanks for the information. Did I say excellent shooting? I'm going to have to get back to practicing.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

JD
    Administrator
    I truly am happy that the gun is now meeting your expectations and far exceeding mine.

Senior Moderator
    Just for the record, JD, I'm kidding about the title - just an attention getter. It ain't over yet - durability is far from being established.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Impressive shooting my friend. I have began to get the 1911 bug again myself, and you are not helping. I have no problem with Kimber, or the MIMs parts. Not even an aluminum frame bothers me. Personally, I wonder how much of an issue these things really are, and how much is hyped regurgateded inet hype.
    Thanks for the kind words!

Along the lines of a statement that C Hawk Glock made in my other Pro Carry thread, there's 1911s and everything else. I now know why I thought the G-17 gen 4 trigger felt so heavy, my Kimber is breaking at 3 lbs, almost too light, but I'm not changing it, and a stock Glock probably breaks at twice that. Plus, you don't even feel the trigger move - you just keep increasing pressure on the trigger and suddenly it recoils. And, I should add, the recoil isn't bad - I don't even notice it. I can feel a difference between the recoil of a 9mm and this Pro Carry, but it's not an issue at all.

A source I have much confidence in, has had 4 Kimbers and was disappointed with them. I'm hoping that's changed. I posted in my other Kimber Pro Carry thread that Kimber has put 20,000 rounds through one and saw no appreciable wear. The Tacoma PD, tested I think it was 37 guns from numerous manufacturers and picked the Kimber over them all, in part because in all their tests, Kimbers had far fewer failures than the rest.

I just don't know about the aluminum frame; may hold up just fine. There have been instances of Al frames breaking, but the same is true for steel. I'm pretty sure Kimber uses 7075 Al in their frames. That's about as durable as it gets.

I did a LOT of reading up on the Kimber and I found a wealth of reports of owners being very pleased with them.

...Kimber is probably one of the few 1911s I have not owned. Funny thing, I am pretty progressive in my taste for guns, so when I think 45, it's got to be a Colt, or even Springer for me. I just can't seem to get around that. I also am stuck on the traditional barrel/bushing type configuration.
    The thing about that is, if that's your taste, you may not be happy with anything else.

I was stuck on the traditional barrel/bushing myself, but after this Pro Carry, my mind is spinning about the cone barrel. I don't know if it's locking up more precisely or what, but I'm very impressed with the accuracy, and it's only a 4 inch barrel.

...I am going to put money down on a Commander size gun, and I will look at Kimber based on your evaluation. I wonder if they make that size with the regular barrel configuration?
    I'm a 'government' loyalist when it comes to 1911s, but they are big to carry, and I do like the Commander balance of grip and barrel size. The Pro Carry is a 1/4" shorter than the Commander, but that's not enough to see in mechanical accuracy although it may be a psych thing if your mind is set on a true Commander size.

One of the things that has prevented me from carry a 1911 is the weight. Even with good belts and holsters, it still weighs nearly 40 oz empty. The Kimber Pro Carry only weighs 28 oz, about the same as a Sig 229 or 226. Not 'Glock' weight (22 oz) but 28 oz seems to be below my threshold of 'pain'. I carry the Kimber in a Kramer vertical scabbord (shown in the pic in the OP) on a High Noon Rock Steady belt and it's like it's not there, well speaking figuratively.

...Thanks for the information....
    I can't 'sell' (i.e. strongly support) Kimber right now, because I don't know the durability yet, but I know it's gonna be the only thing I carry and shoot for a good while.

...Did I say excellent shooting?...
    Why yes, I believe you did; but you can't say that too much - Thanks that's encouraging!

...have to get back to practicing.
    Well I should say so! Don't make me come up there! You're in Kentucky and I'm in Tennessee, that isn't that far. You better get to shootin' and I'd better hear about it!

OK, I'm off to climb a tree, well a rope in a tree; I hope to get in 4 50 foot climbs back to back. That's the way I exercise. It works too.

I LOVE my pro carry II. I have had no FTF's in almost 1000 rounds down the pipe. I know it might at some point. and I also know that if man made it, man can break it. Say what you will, but I love my Kimber and trust my life to it. it's pretty, it's stainless, and it goes bang when I shoot it. The only problem is, now that I have a 1911, want 10 more. :)

Administrator
    "You guys just keep dis-ing Kimber and MIM, and I'll just keep doing this"

That what they all say right up until the slide stop pin breaks in half at the same time that the thumb safety falls off.

Just kidding.....just kidding.
    azchevy and AZ Hawk like this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "You guys just keep dis-ing Kimber and MIM, and I'll just keep doing this"

That what they all say right up until the slide stop pin breaks in half at the same time that the thumb safety falls off.

Just kidding.....just kidding.
    You know I'll get you for that! LOL!

VIP Member
    After hundreds of Kimber customers, the phone hasn't rung yet with a complaint. Replace the recoil spring about every case of ammo. My Ultra CDP shoots better than I do, and so do you!
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    After hundreds of Kimber customers, the phone hasn't rung yet with a complaint. Replace the recoil spring about every case of ammo. My Ultra CDP shoots better than I do, and so do you!
    That is encouraging; thanks for posting that! Of course the caveate here may be that they don't shoot enough for problems to show up. But I've read of owners that have 2000 rounds and more through their Kimbers without a problem.

I have 400 rounds through my Pro Carry and I do get a failure every now and then, but that may be the aluminum cased ammo (Blazer); I know Bill Wilson, Wilson Combat, does not approve of Blazer Al in his 1911s. I just happen to have a whole bunch of it, and I'm gonna shoot it. When I've depleted my 1000 rounds of Blazer, and believe it or not, that will only be about a month for me, unless I decide to shoot some other gun in another caliber, and then I'll get some brass cased ammo and see if the occassional failure goes away.

I just bought my first 1911 and I can tell you, the Kimber Pro Carry is on my short list for the next one. I think they are great guns and obviously accurate (then again, what 1911 isn't?)

VIP Member
    Nice shooting Tangle. Glad the gun is working out for you and hope it continues to run well.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Yep, have to agree with the positive comments made here. I have an Ultra CDP2 and a 4" Kimber Raptor. I love them both and they shoot great. I have well over a thousand rounds through both and never an issue. Nothing has been replaced or fixed. I clean and lube after every time at range and that's it. Only down side is doing that on the CDP2 as that three inch barrel is a chore to take apart. As it is on any 3" gun.

Great thread and excellent job on the shooting.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

I have had MIM parts fail. I also have built custom guns on investment cast frames and slides and they are awesome. All Rugers use investment cast parts. I think it is more about who makes the parts and how they are fit and installed. And which part it is. I would challenge you to find a thumb safety for a 1911 from ANY maker that is NOT cast.

Jess
    "Whenever a strong man, fully armed and equipped, is guarding his own castle, he enjoys peaceful possession of his property" Luke 11:21ontarget1911@gmail.com
    OnTarget LLC Custom Gunworks
    http://www.ontargetcgw.com

Administrator
    First of all the difference between "investment cast" and "MIM" AKA Metal Injected Molded is like Night & Day. They are completely different processes.
    > Investment casting is poured molten metal with a 100% material density.

> MIM is micro fine metal powder mixed into a slurry with (I Think) a polymer based binder - That cold metal slurry is then injected into molds with just enough binder for the part to maintain its shape.
    Then those dried slurry metal parts are released from their molds and then sintered in a high heat furnace which first burns the binder away and then fuses the micro fine particles of metal together but, (of course) the resulting finished parts cannot have full metal density because there is no metal where the binder was burned away.
    They can sinter hundreds (if not thousands) of small parts all at one time.
    The process is normally just fine when everything goes as it should go during the heating process.
    When (historically) some MIM parts in a "run" did not receive full, complete, heat due to their location in the furnace...those part LOOKED perfect but, they would catastrophically fail during actual use...usually very quickly. That was the early problem that Kimber had with their MIM process.

My real problem with Kimber these days is not so much that their MIM parts are failing. My issue with Kimber is that MIM is a very inexpensive method of producing parts. The cost (for large runs of identical parts) is actually pennies per part.
    SO...the retail price of Kimber pistols should actually be about 1/3 what they actually retail for since they are literally loaded with MIM.
    And there is no manual finish work (AKA Man/Machine Hours) required for MIM (with the exception of batch plating) which SHOULD further cut the production cost.

But Kimber is producing handguns with judiciously minimal cost per part yet they have priced their firearms equal to or greater than similar firearms which feature frames and slides that are forged from bar-stock & with machined & precision investment cast parts.

I figure that a reality based fair market value retail price for a Kimber should be around $295 - $325. but they are not. That is my gripe these days.

Quote Originally Posted by ontarget1911 View Post
    I have had MIM parts fail. I also have built custom guns on investment cast frames and slides and they are awesome. All Rugers use investment cast parts. I think it is more about who makes the parts and how they are fit and installed. And which part it is. I would challenge you to find a thumb safety for a 1911 from ANY maker that is NOT cast.

Jess
    TonyDTrigger likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links