I need a little help making a decision.

This is a discussion on I need a little help making a decision. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm about to move down to Atlanta in the fall for school, and at present I own a 20 gauge shotgun, a 1911, and an ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: I need a little help making a decision.

I need a little help making a decision.

I'm about to move down to Atlanta in the fall for school, and at present I own a 20 gauge shotgun, a 1911, and an SP 101.

Now here comes the conundrum, I haven't been able to find a summer job at all aside from a gun-show I'm working with my LGS because they need someone to fill in (hanging around at a gun store can come in handy like that ) and I have a Glock 19 on layaway that I was planning on financing with my some of my summer funds which are pretty much going to be non-existant now.

My options are that I can sell my Xbox and use the proceeds from this weekend's gun show to bring it off the shelf, OR I can sell back the SP 101 on a trade for the Glock as I have far less money sunk in it than my 1911 (a box of ammo and 2 holsters for the Ruger vs 3 holsters several boxes of SD ammo and several wilson/tripp mags for the 1911 plus the 1911 was my first pistol). I haven't really felt absolutely secure only carrying 5 rounds as it seems that if it ever came to it that 5 shots would pretty much be gone in an instant and if I have multiple assailants (the recent MARTA beating of the flight attendants comes to mind) that I would have to make every shot count and even then it wouldn't be enough.

My reasoning is that a G19 is ultra-reliable like a revolver, faster on follow-up shots than the .357 I currently use, and when I'm at my apartment I can put a TLR1s on it to make it an HD gun. It's just as light as the SP101 with three times the ammo to boot. But I would have to sink another $100 on a holster, $100 of so on a TLR1s light, and $85 for Trijicon night sights, though those could be had over a substantial time-frame as funds become available.

I suppose that the rational choice is to trade the SP101, pay off my credit card with this week-end's gunshow and sell the xbox for reserve funds, but I'm conflicted as I really do like the little SP 101. Anyone have any input?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I can only answer as "if I were in your shoes" but I would make some effort to keep the SP-101. It is a simple, effective, proven revolver and with a substantial following.

I wish you my best..
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

You will probably regret selling the SP later on. I did and had to eventually get another one.

Wow! You want the members of this forum to help you decide which gun to scarifice and the options are a 1911, Ruger SP 101, shotgun, and a GLOCK 19? Each are favorites in their class by most of the members here.

The 1911 is your first gun, I say hang on to it. The Ruger is a great, reliable, proven pistol that is hard for me to recommend parting with. The shotgun is a superb HD weapon, not to mention a great tool for hunting things that taste like chicken, a damn good gun to have around. Now the GLOCK 19, I'm biased but, it's the best damn 9mm on the planet. I gonna suggest getting rid of the XBOX, but mostly 'cause I'm a PS3 owner (enough about the network hack, I know). Another thing though, the GLOCK 19 you do not have yet so it won't be hard to part with, if you can get your money back from the layaway I'd say wait on getting the GLOCK they'll be around when you can afford to get one.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

If it were me...the X- Box would already be gone and there would be no way I would part with my sp101, not a chance. 5 shots of .357 mag is plenty for me. Personally I would sell my glocks before I sold my SP
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

Distinguished Member
    Get rid of the xbox.

Use the shotgun for home defense (trade if for a 12 later on)

Sell the 1911 with all the accessories. Sounds like it's an emotional keeper, so what if it was your first handgun.

Keep the revolver. Every desk needs a simple and ready to go gun under it.

Get the G19. It's cheaper to practice with and larger capacity than the others. Easy to carry.

Look for a job at a gunshop or range where you can get discounts.

Did I already say get rid of the x-box?

That would be my plan.

VIP Member
    What's more important to you, another gun, or the XBOX?

I'd be selling the XBOX, and NOT buying the G19, get something better, there are many to choose from.

Did I mention, you'll regret selling the SP101, so....don't.
    Last edited by sigmanluke; May 17th, 2011 at 04:39 PM. Reason: more
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Keep all you have and slowly acquire the G-19...you'll regret selling the SP101...it's a tank.
    I'd sell the shottie before I'd sell the Ruger.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I was going to say what Ret did. ^^^

for sure, sell the x-box.

I'd sell the shotgun, before the SP101, they're a lot easier to replace. Plus, you may want to go for a 12 gauge in the future.
    jwhite75 and Sleipnir like this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Your asking guys on a gun forum to pick between an X-box versus a handgun?

You know the X Box will have to go then

Just out of curiousity how often do you use the X box? If your using it all the time then keep it. How often do you carry your SP101 and where? Do you go out in the woods at all?

I know this won't be the most popular answer, but I had an Sp101 and really don't miss it. Yes they are built like tanks but just to heavy and big compared to other snubs out there. Plus as you mentioned 15+1rds vs 5rds gives a serious edge to the Glock for CC or while working at the gun store.

Just my thoughts. let us know, what you decide to do?
    "Get rid of that chrome plated sissy pistol and get yourself a GLOCK"

VIP Member
    What do you use more? The X box or the Ruger? Sell the lesser used item.

If it were up to me though I'd sell the Xbox. The Ruger will last a lifetime and your grand-kids will be shooting it after you're gone. The Xbox will be obsolete in two years and will be replaced by the next big thing.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Yeah sell the XBox...assuming you'll be in a dorm, there should be scores of other kids playing with them that will let you have a round or two of Black Ops or whatever game is your flavor.

On the other note, possibly look into finding a job on campus or close to it...you can make the extra money in no time and afford the G19 at that point. I went to a fairly expensive private college and graduated in 4 years while working up to 4 jobs at once. You can do it with a little determination and youthful exuberance!

In the meantime, you seem to already have the hang of running your 1911 and SP101 as a CCW so you should be fine. Not to mention if you were about to get gang mobbed, you will still take a few of them to their graves if they stupidly try to make you defend yourself. At best, you get off all 8 shots into 8 BGs...at worst you get at least 1 BG...most likely you will scare them off or at least buy yourself a chance to escape/call 911.

If all else fails...there is always the Gigolo profession...I knew one guy in college that was working that with all the older housewives in town, he drove a BMW 3-series and told me how he afforded it...sadly, I never broke into the business.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    get the money back from layaway and wait, thats the thing with glocks, their all the same
    Sleipnir likes this.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I say sell the X-Box and the shottie and pick up the Glock 19. If you will be in a dorm room enviornment, are you gonna have the space to be swinging that shottie around if it came to that? I remember dorm room sizes being comparable to my kitchen size now. Not exactly extra roomy!!
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Sleipnir View Post
    . I haven't really felt absolutely secure only carrying 5 rounds as it seems that if it ever came to it that 5 shots would pretty much be gone in an instant and if I have multiple assailants (the recent MARTA beating of the flight attendants comes to mind) that I would have to make every shot count and even then it wouldn't be enough.
    25 bucks says that horde of teens would have turned tail and ran as fast as they could the second that SP-101 went off with a full house load in the cylinder. I say keep the 101. It's more firepower then I think your giving it credit for and a nice deeper concealment piece then the 1911 or Glock 19 will be.
    Sleipnir likes this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links