First Carry Gun

This is a discussion on First Carry Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I've nearly reached the age at which my state allows me to exercise my constitutional right to bear arms (I'm approximately 2 months from ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: First Carry Gun

First Carry Gun

As I've nearly reached the age at which my state allows me to exercise my constitutional right to bear arms (I'm approximately 2 months from my 21st birthday) I've been looking into different carry gun and I've decided to put money aside little by little to purchase my first carry weapon to use when I take the concealed carry class in late July and to eventually carry among the ranks of other responsible, gun-owning members of society.

As for a brief profile of myself since it may be relevant to firearm choice and the image I project in my first post on this forum, I am a 20 year old college student who has been shooting since I was approximately 7 years old and hunting since I was about 13. I'm an Eagle Scout and a responsible, productive member of society and thus I believe one should always be prepared for what life can throw at you.

I've had experience with a fair number rifles and shotguns and I've put a lot of rounds through my Dad's Kimber 1911 and a fair number through other assorted rimfire and centerfire handguns.

As for advice on a particular firearm, it should be noted that I'm not a very big guy, I'm about 5'8'' and a tad thick at about 180 pounds.

I'm frankly overwhelmed with the number of firearms on the market and I would like to narrow down the choices to a few that I could go fondle at a gun store to see which one feels right.

Some options that have piqued my interest have included the compact or subcompact Glocks in the .40 or 9mm flavor and the Ruger SR9C. I've also looked into a few compact 1911s but they seem to be a bit on the pricey side.

Basically, I think I want a reliable, affordable, semi-auto pistol in a size that's not too big or heavy to carry but not so small that it isn't a fun range gun. I would also like it to be in a caliber that's affordable for me to practice with on a regular basis. And finally, I live in an apartment and would like to have something that could defend me in that environment without posing excessive risk of over-penetration into neighboring units. Can you fine people point me in the right direction?

Sorry for the excessively verbose post filled mostly with superfluous information to ask a question that will likely illicit much more concise answers. Thank you all in advance for any helpful advice I may receive.

2. Remove Ads

A Glock-19 or the Glock-26 would be a perfect match for your needs.OMOYMV
    red13 and nigelvertigo like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Glocks are great, but expensive. My first (on my 22nd birthday) was an EAA Windicator .357mag. Paid $300 after tax+ammo. Wonderful gun, Georgia arms sells 38spls for $11.50 a bag of 50. My second handgun/current carry piece, is my Taurus 24/7. .45ACP, 12rd magazine+ 10 rd magazine. Paid $400 for it+box of 50 JHPs.

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but what I have had for 2 years and about 5 months respectably. I have had no problems with either, and absolutely love them both.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    You sound like a level headed young man. BRAVO! As for affordable to shoot, probably 9mm is your best bet. IMHO you need to go to a range that rents guns and shoot as many as you can and make your decision based on what you like and shoot best. Welcome to the world of CC.
    Old School, paullie and Ally like this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Barrel length doesn't matter all that much for concealment. Grip length should be a deciding factor, since that is what most often "prints."

There are lots of good compact carry guns on the market. Most of the more affordable models are striker fired polymer. Find one that fits your hand, since not all of us are built the same. A Glock is a reliable gun (I once owned one) but for me, they don't fit. My trigger finger above the first joint was in constant contact with the frame, causing a blister after extended shooting. I discovered that the Springfield XD is a perfect fit. Your mileage may vary.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

I would recommend the Glock 26 or 19 as a great starter carry pistol. They are ultimately reliable, moderately priced especially for a clean used one, 9MM ammo is cheap (relatively) and available everywhere, and finally there are MANY types of holsters available. Try one out at the range or find a friend that will let you shoot theirs. The grip is not for everyone, but if you like it, you can't do much better for the $.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    If you want an affordable and reliable semi-automatic pistol that is easy to conceal, shoot and in a caliber that is good for self-defense, then this is what you need to buy:

Other pistols to consider are the following:

• Springfield XD Sub-Compact
    • Walther PPS
    • Ruger SR9 Compact
    • Kel-Tec PF9

Since you are short on cash and need to save up, I suggest you look into buying a used gun at your local gun shop, pawn shop or at GunBroker.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    Glocks are great, but expensive. My first (on my 22nd birthday) was an EAA Windicator .357mag. Paid $300 after tax+ammo. Wonderful gun, Georgia arms sells 38spls for $11.50 a bag of 50. My second handgun/current carry piece, is my Taurus 24/7. .45ACP, 12rd magazine+ 10 rd magazine. Paid $400 for it+box of 50 JHPs.

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but what I have had for 2 years and about 5 months respectably. I have had no problems with either, and absolutely love them both.
    Thanks for the advice, I suppose I should have described my price range, I've got two months to save my pennies so $500 seems fairly reasonable to me and finding a Glock under or near that price point seems fairly easy. I'm not sure how I feel about a wheel gun, I've shot a few and I'm not a fan of the long stiff double action trigger pulls. With all due respect to your choice of carry weapon and while I have no doubt that your account is an honest one, I've also heard unsettling things about Taurus' quality control.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy90 View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I suppose I should have described my price range, I've got two months to save my pennies so $500 seems fairly reasonable to me and finding a Glock under or near that price point seems fairly easy. I'm not sure how I feel about a wheel gun, I've shot a few and I'm not a fan of the long stiff double action trigger pulls. With all due respect to your choice of carry weapon and while I have no doubt that your account is an honest one, I've also heard unsettling things about Taurus' quality control.
    You, sir, have said everything I would have said.

Based on your OP and comment here, I think your final selection will have been well thought out and researched.
    You've researched more than any info I can offer you and it sounds like you've test fired some of your choices.

Happy (gun) hunting.

The only Glock I've shot was a Gen 3 Glock 19, at 10 yards I was holding a group around the size of a baseball with a couple fliers. I did like the Glock grip angle, though it's a little more aggressive than the slightly more natural angle of my dad's 1911.

To ask one of the great questions of the of the gun owning internet, would a 19 or a 26 be recommended as a first personally owned handgun? The 26 looks like it can effectively be made larger with the addition of a G19 magazine and a magazine adapter but the G19 can obviously not be made smaller. Though I might like to simply stick with simplicity and just get the G19 and not mess with adapters and extensions and other such accessories.

I'd look at a Fnh FNP9.

My choice was a Springfield XD subcompact. I like the grip angle better over Glocks and like the grip safety. When re-holstering I remove the pressure from the grip safety. That way, if the trigger manages to get snagged on some fabric or something, it won't go off.

I've put a few thousand rounds through it with no failures. I chose the 9mm and it is completely manageable. I could shoot it all day (if I had the money for the ammo...)
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdknox View Post
    I'd look at a Fnh FNP9.
    Do you have one? What advantages would it have over the Glock 19 if I use that as the standard for comparison?

It appears to be several ounces heavier and a bit thicker than the advertised weight and thickness of the G19. The price point is a bit lower but it only comes with one magazine where I believe the Glock comes with 3.

What is the consensus on the Double Action/Single Action trigger design? I've never shot something with this configuration. Is it prudent or possible to carry such a weapon "cocked and locked" like a 1911? With the hammer back so it stays in single action mode?

Glock or XD in 9mm flavor. Go try out the different sizes and see what you like. You can't go wrong with two of the most reliable autos out there. In my personal opinion the Glock 19 has no equal.

Quote Originally Posted by thephanatik View Post
    My choice was a Springfield XD subcompact. I like the grip angle better over Glocks and like the grip safety. When re-holstering I remove the pressure from the grip safety. That way, if the trigger manages to get snagged on some fabric or something, it won't go off.

I've put a few thousand rounds through it with no failures. I chose the 9mm and it is completely manageable. I could shoot it all day (if I had the money for the ammo...)
    I've never shot or even held an XD of any kind, I will put this on my list of firearms to at the very least least put my mitts on before I purchase anything. I have heard report of the XD triggers being a bit mushy, is there any truth to this?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links