Beretta PX4 experiences / opinions?

This is a discussion on Beretta PX4 experiences / opinions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright, so I'm thinking of picking one of these up in the near future. I haven't had the chance to try it yet, which I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Beretta PX4 experiences / opinions?

Alright, so I'm thinking of picking one of these up in the near future. I haven't had the chance to try it yet, which I will of course do before buying it, but what are your guys' experiences with it?

I currently own a SIG P228 and a Glock 23, and like them both a lot.

I was interested in the design of the PX4 for a while, and was waiting for a midsize between the full sized and the subcompact. Now that it is out, I'm seriously considering buying one. They seem to be at a reasonable price, right on par with the Glocks, and seem to be good quality weapons.

Anybody carry it? Anything good? Anything bad?

Thanks!

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    I've had no issues with my full size PX4. Mine has fantastic SA and DA trigger pulls straight from the factory without any mods being made to the gun. So if you prefer a traditional DA/SA trigger instead of a pre-cocked striker type like the Glocks and others have, it will give you a great trigger. It is better than what either of my two SIG pistols have. Accuracy with my gun has been quite good as well.

Cons: The full size model is really quite big and bulky to carry concealed. The main problem is the width of the gun. As far as reliability goes, there have been reports that some police departments have rejected it.

It took forever for the subcompacts to come out in .40 S&W, but they are now available. The new compact model is just now coming on the market, and I've only seen it in 9mm I would not expect availability in .40 S&W any time real soon, judging from Beretta's history. But you should be able to find it in 9mm just fine.

I don't carry my full size PX4, but I do keep it loaded here in my house for protection.

I recently had my PX4 totally refinished by Robar with their NP3 PLUS finish. Makes the gun totally resistant to corrosion, and it also needs very little lubrication. It is also a very handsome finish. Cost is $225 from Robar's Home Page, although they are having a 10% sale through the end of this month, bringing the cost down to about $200.

Click on the image below to view a larger version of it:

Senior Moderator
    I love the PX4! It's a perfect size (for me at least), great to carry, I love the rotating barrel. The only problem I have with it, is it is the one gun I just cannot shoot accurately and I don't know why. But I've tried it time after time and get the same unacceptable results. It may be my specific gun, or the specific combination of me and the gun, and I doubt that others are having an accuracy problem.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

My wife has a full size PX4 in .40 caliber and loves it! She shoots it very accurately and has had no problems with it. She shot a variety of handguns before she chose the PX4. I have also shot it numerous times and like it, but not as much as my 1911. It does have a fatter grip, due to being a double stack. The biggest problem is that there aren't a wide variety of holsters available for it. I did get her a Galco holster and belt, though. My wife has her CHL, but doesn't carry as she works on a federal installation, so the holster issue does not really impact her much. She keeps it mainly as a HD weapon. Hope this little bit of info is helpful.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

hey there, ORYGUN--- That is one great looking pistol! I'll have to check out Robar and see what's up with them. Thanks.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I have owned both the PX4 9mm full-size and the SC. Sold the big one because of concealed carry issues, but it was a good gun. The SC gave me a problem with the take-down gizmo aND I HAD TO HAVE SOMEONE PUT IT BACK IN FOR ME! NOW I HAVE A SMITH M&PC 9MM AND AM LOVING IT . YOU SHOULD GIVE THIS ONE A LOOK. THE BERETTA'S SHOT WELL, BUT I GOT TO HEARING TOO MANY MINUSES RE. THEM AND BAILED OUT. YOU MIGHT HAVE A DIFFERENT TAKE ON IT. SO GOOD LUCK WITH WHATEVER YOU BUY.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

The Px4 doesn't receive a lot of discussion on this site (in my limited experience) because of its width and weight, which makes it difficult to carry. I own one in 9mm, and I don't really consider it an option for EDC. However, it is of high quality and can be considered for home defense or as a duty pistol.

It feels very good in my hands and is fairly soft shooting, and the manual thumb safety and external hammer provide for extra options if one is not comfortable with a glock, revolver, etc.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    I had a PX4 Storm .40 many moons ago, and loved it...put thousands of rounds through it and never had a problem of any kind. It is absolutely reliable. High tech also with that rotating cylinder. It is a very smoth shooter and very accurate. I highly, highly recommend it. Too big for me to carry,but it was always by my bed side.

1951 - 2011
    Hello. I find the PX4 9mm one of my favorites. If interested, here are some observations.

Shooting the Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm

Shooting the 9mm Beretta PX4 Storm Update

Best.

I have a Px4 in 9mm and love it, very smooth, reliable and accurate. It is not small but not that bad for EDC. You just need to think about what you are doing.

no one, NO ONE knows more about 9mm than Beretta. I got rid of Glock years ago due to its reciever so low to the frame. It bites my hand. I bought my first Beretta in 1992, and I have had one ever since. I waited with baited breathe anticipation for the new Px4, and I was rewarded with a never fail record. Truth is, of all my semi autos I have owned, ever; Berretta has never failed to fire, cycle, load or misfire in any way. I have a 100% perfect record with it. Buy and use Berretta with all confidence!

My full size PX4 Storm is in .40 cal. I love it. I used to EDC it in a Crossbreed Supertuck. I've put thousands of rounds downrange with no failures. It's a keeper.

The only "complaint" I would make is the "Beretta night sights" it came with aren't nearly as good as the Trijicon NS on my Kahr PM9. Of course, I could just go by a set of Trijicon NS for my PX4, but just haven't had time or made it a priority.

I'd never part with my PX4 Storm, it's one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by CenCal View Post
    The only "complaint" I would make is the "Beretta night sights" it came with aren't nearly as good as the Trijicon NS on my Kahr PM9. Of course, I could just go by a set of Trijicon NS for my PX4, but just haven't had time or made it a priority.

I'd never part with my PX4 Storm, it's one of my favorites.
    Agree with CenCal about the "Beretta night sights"... one of those things that I will be looking into upgrading on my PX4's.
    I was so impressed with the Full size 9mm reliability and smoothness that I bought the other versions also ... Compact and SubCompact... Of all three the Compact is my favorite for EDC. Little bit bulky compared to single stack obviously... (I normally carry a kimber Ultra CDP II 1911 so I'm used to single stack guns) but I have no problems to concealed it with a Crossbreed Supertuck holster...

I consider it an excellent gun ... that Robar finish looks awesome!!! I need to do that....

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    The Px4 doesn't receive a lot of discussion on this site (in my limited experience) because of its width and weight, which makes it difficult to carry.
    The gun is only 28 oz without any ammo in it, which is not at all that bad. There are many pistols heavier than that. It weighs about as much as a Commander size 1911 with an aluminium frame, and much less than an all steel Commander.

The gun is very fat, though. Size and weight-wise, the gun is very close to the full size HK USP. Someone with small hands would not like the fat grip.

To me, weight is not the issue. It is the sheer bulk of the pistol, especially the width. My PX4 Storm shoots just as well as my HK USP, and has a much better trigger pull, especially the DA pull. Yet, it cost me just a little over half the price of my USP. Even adding another $200 to the gun to have the Robar NP3 Plus finish put on it, it still ends up being much more affordable than the HK.

So are there other full size pistols that are easier to carry? I would say yes. If one can live with the striker type trigger system in the S&W M&P full size, it is both a quarter lb lighter and the grip is not as bulky, especially in width.

Everything is relative, though. There are some folks even carrying the big Springfield XDm. And it is a bigger and heavier handgun than the PX4 Storm.

SwatMedic338 likes this.

I own a PX-4 in 9mm, never hiccupped or given any problems.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links