Rust?! Already?!?

This is a discussion on Rust?! Already?!? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As many of you know, I just purchased the blued version of the Kel Tec PF9. I have carried it 2 times in my kangaroo ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Rust?! Already?!?

Rust?! Already?!?

As many of you know, I just purchased the blued version of the Kel Tec PF9. I have carried it 2 times in my kangaroo carry holster. Removing it from the holster at the end of the day. The slide ALREADY has quite a few rust spots on it near the front site. I have not even carried a full day today so really its been in the holster for 1.5 days.
    In my opinion this is unbelievable. I expected to have to take a little more time cleaning it than I do my Glock...but ONE DAY??!?!! I don't have time to clean my carry weapon every single day.

Given my limited experience with blued finish....I am turning to you guys. Please tell me this is not normal.

Ian

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Never a good idea to store your weapon in leather holsters when not being worn. I found out the hard way too.

VIP Member
    Depending on your level of humidity, yeah - it's a little rust bucket. I keep mine shiny with an occasional wipe-down with a silicone gun rag, and that keeps it good while it's stored in a climate controlled environment.

This isn't a truck gun though. It's not gonna hang with extended exposure to humidity. If I carry it, it gets wiped down that evening.
    Old School likes this.

This is why I went with the LCP instead of the Kel-Tec. The sales clerk at the gun store told me they had seen issues with corrosion on the blued Kel-Tec slides. Apparently the hard chrome doesn't have this issue though.

My hard chrome version has had absolutely no issues with rust.
    I had to wait 6 months to get it...but I guess patience really does pay off.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Could it be a chemical compound in the holster that is causing excessive rust formation?

I'm not a huge fan of Kel Tecs but rusting is just not an issue with my blued P3AT which is mostly relegated to yard duty when mowing or doing other outside chores. It rides in a De Santis Nemesis holster. It doesn't rust whether it gets wiped down with a RIG-rag or not. I'm actually impressed with how well the surface finish holds up to moisture.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Thats the thing... I removed it from the holster after use. the only time it was in it was when I was wearing it. We do have a high level of humidity here... I guess I didn't know that blued guns were so susceptible to rust.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Depending on your level of humidity, yeah - it's a little rust bucket. I keep mine shiny with an occasional wipe-down with a silicone gun rag, and that keeps it good while it's stored in a climate controlled environment.

This isn't a truck gun though. It's not gonna hang with extended exposure to humidity. If I carry it, it gets wiped down that evening.
    +1. Also, a bit of cold blue and a Q-tip will go a long ways to cover it up.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

I would do as above, a little bit of cold blue goes a long way!

I had my own brush with rust...my parkerized 1911 rusted under the front strap with the Hogue grips installed, as well as near the bottom pin for the MSH under the grips and near both sets of screws...that's what I get for going to Florida in the heat of summer and not taking the grip off for 6 months!

I no longer store it in a leather holster, but rather put it in my kydex reinforced nylon holster and with regular maintenance no more rust build-up has manifested other that what had already pitted. (All loaded guns in my house stay in holster, all others stay in a box or gun sock as per my upbringing.)

Yeah I'll give that a try. Here is what it looks like after I worked on it with 0000 steel wool:

If it were me, I'd try to send it back. That's pretty bad.
    There may be some other issue going on with that particular slide.
    Kel Tec's pretty good about standing behind their product.
    I'd at least give them a call.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Ahh, another shoddy Kel Tec. Send it back! A quality firearm shouldn't show any signs of rust that early on.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

There is a guy on the KTOG list who can chrome or bake a new finish on your slide, I have been thinking of Duracoating my p-32 BUG
    “Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.” Han Solo

Another though for the future is Barricade rust preventative. It works wonders. I have a casting flaw in the slide of my 22A that used to rust up in a week and id have to take a wire brush to it. not real fun when it's got the realtree camo synthetic finish. I sprayed some Barricade on it, and it hasn't rusted since. Been a few months too.

Senior Moderator
    Wax it. Good ole past wax,same as you would use on a car. That'll help it a bunch.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links