Customized Creationz P238 Ambi Safety Mod (& CC questions in general)

This is a discussion on Customized Creationz P238 Ambi Safety Mod (& CC questions in general) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A few questions -- some of which I attempted to have answered via email, with no luck (only the first question asked was answered, for ...

Thread: Customized Creationz P238 Ambi Safety Mod (& CC questions in general)

Customized Creationz P238 Ambi Safety Mod (& CC questions in general)

A few questions -- some of which I attempted to have answered via email, with no luck (only the first question asked was answered, for instance).

1. Has anyone here had the mod installed? What's the quality like? I've heard nothing but good things about CC so I'm confident that they'll do a good job, and this is something I really need as a lefty. But if you've had this done, I'd love to hear from you.

2. They've quoted 8-12 weeks but also stated that it doesn't always take that long. I'm surprised that it takes that long. Surely, it only takes a few hours to install. In any case, how long was your wait if you had this done? I know that new grips are needed due to the presence of the safety switch on the right side, so I'm planning to add wood grips as well, probably textured ones.

3. I've never shipped a firearm and have always purchased them from local gun shops. I've seen the information on their website about how to ship. How are they shipped back? Do I need to provide the address of a local FFL (likely the shop where I bought it) or, because I already own it, does it come back directly to me?

4. I'm thinking of having the slide rounded to prevent snags. Is this likely to cause the wait time to increase vastly?

5. Anything else I need to know?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Buran; May 18th, 2011 at 11:50 PM.

2. Remove Ads

They quote 8 - 12 weeks.

It has taken my P238 4 months so far. I've asked for updates and all I hear is.... They're shipping next week, they're shipping next week. Same answer for the past month.

Unfortunately I NEED this mod and he seems to be the only one able to do it, otherwise I would definitely take my money elsewhere.

Extra work will DEFINITELY add to your wait time.

You can ship it straight from FED EX and it can be shippied back to you via FED EX. I've shipped to Smith and Wesson in this manner before. Very hassle free.
    Walther PK380 - SIG Sauer P238 - Glock 19

Quote Originally Posted by buran View Post
    a few questions -- some of which i attempted to have answered via email, with no luck (only the first question asked was answered, for instance).

1. Has anyone here had the mod installed? What's the quality like? I've heard nothing but good things about cc so i'm confident that they'll do a good job, and this is something i really need as a but if you've had this done, i'd love to hear from you.

2. They've quoted 8-12 weeks but also stated that it doesn't always take that long. I'm surprised that it takes that long. Surely, it only takes a few hours to install. In any case, how long was your wait if you had this done? I know that new grips are needed due to the presence of the safety switch on the right side, so i'm planning to add wood grips as well, probably textured ones.

3. I've never shipped a firearm and have always purchased them from local gun shops. I've seen the information on their website about how to ship. How are they shipped back? Do i need to provide the address of a local ffl (likely the shop where i bought it) or, because i already own it, does it come back directly to me?

4. I'm thinking of having the slide rounded to prevent snags. Is this likely to cause the wait time to increase vastly?

5. Anything else i need to know?

Thanks!

p.m. Sent

j.w.
    NRA Life
    SASS 96744

"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is"

Quote Originally Posted by enk5 View Post
    They quote 8 - 12 weeks.

It has taken my P238 4 months so far. I've asked for updates and all I hear is.... They're shipping next week, they're shipping next week. Same answer for the past month.
    Lovely. I'm in the same fix, sadly. Have you ever tried asking local gunsmiths if they can do it?

I really don't want to have to ship something this costly away, especially when it's hard to say when it will return. So I'll keep hoping for more feedback and continuing to ponder.

This should have been a factory feature!

He makes the ambi safetys himself he doesn't just install. He mills them from a solid block of metal.

I agree this should have been a factory feature 100%
    Walther PK380 - SIG Sauer P238 - Glock 19

JD
    Administrator
    I hate doing this as I have nothing positive to add, but if I were a lefty there's no way in hell I would have bought a P238. Relying on aftermarket support for something like that is pretty brazen IMHO. As far as I know, CC is the only one doing this mod, Cylinder and Slide used to have an ambi Mustang safety but I haven't seen it listed as a service for a while, might be wroth trying to give them a call and see what they might be able to do, at least with them they call and tell you when to ship the gun in as to minimize your time without the gun.

Yea..... That's my bad. I bought enk5 the gun for Christmas and completely forgot that she's a lefty.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    Yea..... That's my bad. I bought enk5 the gun for Christmas and completely forgot that she's a lefty.

Doh!

Don't feel too bad, I bought the wife a M&P9C that had a feature she didn't want. ...

Actually I came out ok on that as I traded the gun even up for a pretty nice 1st Generation S&W Model 67.

GKG
    When first got the 238 called SIG and asked about the mod from Sig's Smith shop. Was told it was not a do-able mod and they wouldn't be doing it. Midway used to carry the ambi safety for the Colt Mustang, but it is a discontinued part now. Sold the 238.
    Geoff & Suzy-If you're reading it, Suzy typed it.
    In Loving Memory of my baby brother Benjamin Ian
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" Plato
    "Those who give up liberty for the sake of security deserve neither liberty nor security." Benjamin Franklin

When the gun first came out, I called to inquire about the ambi feature. After finally setting the tech straight that there was, indeed, such a gun made by Sig, all I got was a "duh" followed by silence.
    Sig should have their butts kicked up around their head for not having this feature. Especially at the rediculous price they ask!

Update... Heard rumors of Sig finally offering this factory at SHOT 2012, so I waited instead of having CC mod the gun. Was about to buy a new one (put in order at local shop for one of the new models) only to find in the press release announcing the new models that the ambi safeties will also be offered as an install to existing pistols via the Custom Shop.

I plan to call and inquire this Friday -- I'd prefer to have the same factory parts that the new guns get. That, and I get to keep the plain Nitron slide -- I didn't like the checkered aluminum look.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    SIG is going to be shipping a few models of the P238 with the Ambi-safety, and I expect they will be willing to do the mod on existing guns - but I haven't asked them (my wife and I are both right handed).

They are also going to be shipping all the P938's (9mmP version of the Colt Mustang) with an ambi safety. I'm not a fan of ambi-safeties. Before you lefties get all over me, I am in favor of left hand safeties, and right hand safeties, but not on the same gun. I'd prefer right hand and left hand as seperate models. The un-needed safety is exposed if the gun is carried other than in a pocket, and subject to being bumped off. I packed a borrowed ambi-safety 1911 for a few days to see if I liked it and had that happen to me once.

I ended up not liking a 1911 as much as I thought I would, so don't carry one. But I do like the P238, I'm a huge fan of that little gun. I'm waiting for the P938 hoping it's as good as the P238. I know, it doesn't make sense to like the Colt Mustang Clones and not the 1911, but that's where I am at the moment. Sigh ...

Fitch
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by Buran View Post
    Update... Heard rumors of Sig finally offering this factory at SHOT 2012, so I waited instead of having CC mod the gun. Was about to buy a new one (put in order at local shop for one of the new models) only to find in the press release announcing the new models that the ambi safeties will also be offered as an install to existing pistols via the Custom Shop.

I plan to call and inquire this Friday -- I'd prefer to have the same factory parts that the new guns get. That, and I get to keep the plain Nitron slide -- I didn't like the checkered aluminum look.
    Can you please post the details when you get them? I'm considering sending my 238 in to get an Ambi Safety put on.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I hate doing this as I have nothing positive to add, but if I were a lefty there's no way in hell I would have bought a P238. Relying on aftermarket support for something like that is pretty brazen IMHO. As far as I know, CC is the only one doing this mod, Cylinder and Slide used to have an ambi Mustang safety but I haven't seen it listed as a service for a while, might be wroth trying to give them a call and see what they might be able to do, at least with them they call and tell you when to ship the gun in as to minimize your time without the gun.
    that's unfortunetly why I skipped on it. but that didn't stop me, so I got my lady one. so she carries it, and I shoot it whenever I want :D

Links