Mismatch Between Gun and Shoooter

This is a discussion on Mismatch Between Gun and Shoooter within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The other day I posted on a thread about Kahrs that sometimes people and the guns they buy just don't work for each other. I ...

Thread: Mismatch Between Gun and Shoooter

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

Mismatch Between Gun and Shoooter

The other day I posted on a thread about Kahrs that sometimes people and the guns they buy just don't work for each other. I called it a mismatch between the gun and the shooter.

I'll expand on the concecpt a little further. Glocks are accurate, reliable weapons. Every single one I have shot (more than a few) or seen fired are like that.

But I've never bought one, and won't. Their grips are too big for my girly hands. Their light trigger pull combined with their lack of an external safety just scares the stuffing out of me.

But I will be the first to acknowledge that they are fine weapons.

That is an example of one kind of mismatch. Others include a manual of arms that is different from what the shooter is familiar with. Everyone just takes to operating some guns more easily than others. Kahrs are hard for some people. H & K P7's are hard for others. Others have real problems with 1911's or single-action revolvers.

If you start out shooting Glocks, you might not like (or even be able to operate very well, without a lot of practice) 1911's or single-action revolvers.

Some can't get revolvers to work for them if they were born and bred on automatics, and vice-versa. They can't shoot'em straight, or they can't get the trigger to re-set, or the recoil is too much, etc.

Every once in a while you might find a production gun that is just a mechanically flawed design- I think that is pretty rare (but I won't deny that it happens), given the fact that companies have to spend so much money to design, produce and market weapons, and NO ONE spends money , or keeps spending money, on a product that isn't going to work, because that will lose money.

So what's your worst or most disappointing mismatch? Which gun is it that you couldn't get to work, but everyone else you know has four of and they can't wait to get more? Which weapon do you curse for its failures while others sing praises to it?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2
    Their grips are too big for my girly hands.
    i had that same problem. while a 1911 is a perfect fit, i really wanted a glock 20, 10mm (16 rounds of 10mm is an excellent platform!) it just wouldnt fit my little girl hands. holding it i felt like a little boy holding daddys gun. the g31 (.357 auto) though, was a pretty good fit and thats what i have (in addition to a 17 and a 19). its a real shame that glock wastes so much space in their grips. now that they have it in a .45, im hoping that springfield will eventually make the xd in 10mm.

Their light trigger pull combined with their lack of an external safety just scares the stuffing out of me.
    i havent followed all the threads. are you a relatively new shooter?

I dont consider 6.5# trigger pull of a glock light maybe thats just me

Sure if gun don't fit you you wont shoot it well probley the reason why i no longer own a sig 229 sas

Assistant Administrator
    This is really that old favorite we so often talk about - gun/shooter compatability. And very true that is IMO.

At the range someone can try your favorite puppy - the one you would swear is vice free and near perfect, only to hear - ''well yeah - nice but ............. ''

This is why we push so hard for those new to shooting and carry in particular, to try out all they can get hold off - to seek that mix which is good in the hand, suits their carry mode and is overall accurate and comfortable for them.

I have shot Glocks and find them remarkably good but - still they are not for me compared with a SIG or other platforms. I teethed on revo's, still shoot them quite well and am not unhappy carrying one but still now, I have chosen semi as my EDC and one that suits, me.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

My first gun was like that, a SIG 239. I traded it back in before I shot it and bought a 1911. I have yet to find a gun that fits my hands better.

Administrator

Very Important Topic

I don't think that any defensive shooter should force themselves to fit any particular PRIMARY handgun.
    Some allowances and exceptions can be made for a BUG or a range gun but, your primary defensive carry piece should fit you.
    That would be mentally and psychically.
    Some handguns will just not get along with some people.
    Luckily (for us) there are so many differently configured firearms being produced now.
    All manner of weight, caliber, grip angles, thicknesses, fire mode configurations and controls (or lack of them) are all out there for the trying out and experimentation. Wheelgun or semi~auto.
    One of them will surely be the right gun.

One of the reasons that I love the Colt & Colt clone pistols is that they can be so easily adapted to the individual shooter.
    A shooter can keep the heavier trigger pull or go lighter.
    Adding a short trigger or installing a longer one is easy - Thick grips or extra-thin grips ? ~ you decide Arched mainspring housing or a flat one ? - also a very easy switch. Lighter alloy frame, polymer frame or steel.
    Ambidextrous TS can also be easily added as well as differently shaped grip safeties.
    It is extremely easy to adjust the feel of the Colt 1911 pattern pistol in order to make it perfectly compatible with an individual shooter.
    But, if the Colt syle pistols are not for you then I sure would never expect or demand that any person carry one.
    It's very important to find a handgun that naturally points where you look.
    Just my opinion that it should feel like it fits like a custom tailored glove.
    Never buy a firearm and force yourself to carry it just because other people really like it.
    I absolutely would dump any handgun (in a heartbeat) that I was not comfortable with or did not "feel right" to me for any reason.
    Sorry! I'm running at the mouth again.
    It's always been an important issue with me.

It's Glocks with me. I think they are a great design, tough, do everything a handgun should, easy to shoot, and I would really like to carry one.
    But something just isn't right with me. Me and a Glock just don't fit. I may well buy another one and try it again, but I couldn't get the last ones to fit me.
    An interesting thread. I agree that there are these mismatches, and I'm trying to think of why in particular I just can't run with a Glock.
    And I can't really come up with anything definite. Mismatch it is.

VIP Member
    I don't have small hands, but there are certain pistols that I just cannot shoot well. I at first thought that it was just pistols with double stack mags, but have refined that position somewhat.

I have decided that the combination of double stack mags and DAO are the killer for me. I base this on the fact that the pistols I have had problems with fit that category and that recently I had the opportunity at Beretta Range Day to fire the Px4 and the 90 Two. Both of these pistols use double stack mags and the ones I fired were TDA. I had not problems placing rounds where I aimed them.

I may refine the position a little more as opportunity arises for me to fire some other double stack DAO pistols. As I started to make the connection to my problems being DAO as well as double stack, I also noticed that the pistols I had trouble with had grips similar to Glock, i.e. shaped like a 2X4. I have not had an opportunity to fire a pistol with a more traditional rounded grip that is also double stack and DAO like maybe a SIG P226 DAK. I have a strong suspicion that I will have not problem with it. Then I will have to start redefining my position again.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Single action revolvers, over the years I have owned 2 single sixes, 1 Blackhawk, 1 Vaquero, and a couple other SAA types. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with any of them. Thus far I have sold them all. But I'm sure that one day I'll see a pretty one and give it just - one -more - try.

RH

Sadly the Sigs are too big for my hand. I had a 228 that had the most wonderful trigger and was so accurate. Most single action revolvers with the "plow handle" grip are awkward too. The Bisley grip works though.

Very true Randy....It's like any other relationships I suppose....some work and others don't---and you cant give chocolates or flowers to an unforgiving firearm and expect everything to work itself out.

On the contrary I feel very safe with Glocks, round in the tube....and slightly disconserted with "traditional style" pistols that have a deocker/manual safety. For me....simply letting my finger off the trigger in mid-magazine (as in a Glock) and reholstering is more reassuring than than decocking a hammer-stlye firearm mid-mag and reholstering. Again----personal preferance.

On a side note I would like to comment that your threads/comments have been well thought out to date....not that I am a Mod nor due I wish the responsibility/have earned the privilage....but surely a nice addition to this great forum~!
    Last edited by WJP9; July 27th, 2006 at 11:50 PM.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Quote Originally Posted by RH822
    Single action revolvers, over the years I have owned 2 single sixes, 1 Blackhawk, 1 Vaquero, and a couple other SAA types. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with any of them. Thus far I have sold them all. But I'm sure that one day I'll see a pretty one and give it just - one -more - try.

RH
    So, and I am the opposite of you. Right now, for whatever reason, my semi auto shooting is... lacking... But by god, the revolver shooting is good, and only getting better with time and practice.
    Beretta 92FS

It was the Glock 21 for me... Good pistol, reliable, accurate.
    I didn't mind the light trigger pull (it had a 3.5 pd pull).
    But the flipping thing felt like I was holding a shoe box in my hand.
    I tried but gave up and traded her off, back to 1911s for me.

Links