My Glock 30 .45 vs my Springfield XD 9mm

This is a discussion on My Glock 30 .45 vs my Springfield XD 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, Curious as to your opinion. I went shooting with my father today, and we took my Glock and Springfield out. I've shot them ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: My Glock 30 .45 vs my Springfield XD 9mm

Hey all,

Curious as to your opinion. I went shooting with my father today, and we took my Glock and Springfield out. I've shot them both many times, but today I seriously thought to myself...maybe I should switch my EDC.

I can shoot the Glock just fine. On the black with every shot, even with rapid fire. However, I am a slower shot as my follow up shots are harder to line up with the recoil than my Sprinfield. The Sprinfield has a longer trigger reset, however I can rapid shoot MUCH faster and my groups are MUCH tighter. It also carries 15 + 1 vs 10 +1 with the Glock.

Which would you carry?

Here are two cool pics we got from today...

Shooting the Glock 30. Cool muzzle flash!

Dad shooting the Springfield 9mm.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Looks to me you have 2 great carry choices, which one is more comfortable to carry?
    Proud NRA member

RKM
    I carry a G30, so I'm biased :)

Sometimes, it's just nice to have a hard choice!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I'm partial to the .45 myself.

If I were you, I would go with the one I felt more confident with. How much slower are your follow ups with the G-30? How much tighter groups are we talking here?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    buckeye beat me to it......which one is more comfortable to you, which one do you feel more confident with?
    I carry a G30 off duty and used to have a xd 9sc, my mom now has the XD as neither me or the wife liked the trigger which you eluded to, compared to the glock
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    Some days, I have trouble making up my mind too...
    oneshot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Some days, I have trouble making up my mind too...
    I never realized in boondock saints until now he was using dif handguns...
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

The 9 is, all other things being equal, going to have a faster follow up time because of less recoil. However, if you can shoot the 45 fast enough, it may not be as much of an advantage. If you like the 30, go for it! Just keep in mind that 45 is more expensive, and has less capacity.

I carry a XD45 compact myself. I like it.

G30 is one sweet pistol.....mine alternates with my g26 as EDC and I actually shoot it better than g26! A little thicker and heavier but very comforting having .45 cal on hip or IWB!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

For EDC, carry that in which you have the most confidence. I gravitate to the 40 and 45 end of the caliber spectrum. But if you are happy with a 9 and it is what you carry most easily, shoot best, and believe in, then go with the XD.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

I used to be 100% 45ACP. Now, since I can afford to practice much, much more with 9mm, and newer 9mm loads are very effective, I shoot and carry 9s.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    What kind of ammo were you shooting in the Glock 30 to produce that much muzzle flash visible in broad daylight??

VIP Member
    Sounds like a win-win to me. I am partial to the 9mm because I do not believe - at all - that one round (even from the Dreadnaught Uber Death Machine that many folks would have you believe the .45ACP is equivalent to) is going to stop one threat, much less multiple threats. I shoot my P228s and G19s very well, very quickly, and very accurately, and I can put a lot of holes into a lot of places in a very short amount of time. Plus, I get practice ammo free, which I can't remove from the equation...

In your case, I don't think you're poorly served (at all) with either handgun. Pick whichever one you are more "fluid" with, for lack of a better term. I think you know what I mean, though - the one that simply feels more natural and comfortable to you when you are running the gun hard.
    oneshot likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Thanks everyone for your responses...I'll keep using the Glock for now as I keep mulling this over!
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links