Please help me idenfiy my very old revolver!!!!!! i need to buy parts!!!!

This is a discussion on Please help me idenfiy my very old revolver!!!!!! i need to buy parts!!!! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; okay until 3 weeks ago when my grandpa died, i had never had a gun of my own i did not know the anatomy of ...

Thread: Please help me idenfiy my very old revolver!!!!!! i need to buy parts!!!!

okay until 3 weeks ago when my grandpa died, i had never had a gun of my own i did not know the anatomy of a hand gun, i have since then highly educated myself on learning how to properly use a firearm but the truth is im a bit of a "hippy" i play guitar 24 7 and write short stories..but i digress, my grandpa who i mis dearly left me this 5 shot revolver it has a screw off barrel! never herd of that before please tell me what year and make this model is, when i first got it it was ABSOULTY COVERD IN RUST!!! i have since then restored it like i do my guitars buffed it for hours on end day by day. these pictures are a week old its way more shinny now. im very proud of all the work iv done on it, i just want to make my grandpa proud for taking care of it and fixing it up for him, he was saving it for us to do together for my birthday but sadly he past away unexpected. i showed a picture to some one and they were like wow thats a CIVAL WAR GUN! i was shocked it was that old, i even have to get the ammo manufactured its so hard to get i know it takes 38 caliber S&W W-W ammo, the gun is a 38 caliber see i want to buy a pearl grip the gun is going to look absoulty amazing when im all done i cant wait but i really need yous guys help please try and tell what kind of revolver this is what year it was made or atleast refer me to a grip that will fit it and make it look mad awesome all help is greatly appreciated thanks guys!!
    Attached Images

I don't know this for sure but I think it may be a colt model 1892. I don't know a whole lot about earlier revolvers, however after doing a little searching around I found a few pictures on google. I typed in colt 1892 and it showed some pictures that look real similar to yours. Looking at the grip which looks different from your pictures I actually think is the same but looks different, because of the tape on the handle. The one thing that keeps throwing me off is the hexagon barrel. I couldn't manage to find any with that. Hopefully this helps a little, and is probably from after the civil war. Also refinishing an antique firearm usually takes away from the value.

I don't know what it is, but if your planning ever to shoot that thing, you should have a competent gunsmith give it a THOROUGH going over. It'd probably ruin your guitar playing to have that thing explode in your hands. Sorry about your Grandpa, at least you have a cherished memento.

...hmmm guess this is a bit old...
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Iver Johnson model 1900
    Iver Johnson Arms was founded in Fitchburg, Massachusetts in 1883. During the late 19th and early 20th centuries, this firm was one of the most prolific U.S. manufacturers of small, inexpensive handguns. The Model 1900 was made between 1900 and 1947.

The handgun looks like it's missing the front sight and even before you made it shiney was probably worth just having something from your grandpa.
    In the future if you come across something that looks rusty and crusty before you make it shiney you need to find out what it is and how much it's worth,removing the old rusty crusty could devalue an item tremendously especially in firearms ,furniture,and lots of other historic pieces

As far as buying parts I wouldn't waste your time as the parts would more than likely cost more than the firearm is worth,if you want a firearm to shoot for fun and or personal protection I would buy a modern revolver or pistol,much faster reloads and accuracy etc
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    OP, if you wanna get it running again go for it. Only you know whats worth it to you, My Smith and Wesson shotgun costs more to fix than to buy a new replacement for it, but its worth it for me to have it restored because it was Papaw's. Let us know how it turns out.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by randyhenke View Post
    I don't know this for sure but I think it may be a colt model 1892. I don't know a whole lot about earlier revolvers, however after doing a little searching around I found a few pictures on google. I typed in colt 1892 and it showed some pictures that look real similar to yours. Looking at the grip which looks different from your pictures I actually think is the same but looks different, because of the tape on the handle. The one thing that keeps throwing me off is the hexagon barrel. I couldn't manage to find any with that. Hopefully this helps a little, and is probably from after the civil war. Also refinishing an antique firearm usually takes away from the value.
    This is a Colt Model 1892.

(sadly, it's not mine. )
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

On google I had seen a few with shorter barrels and wouldn't zoom in. That is what made me think it might be an 1892. I did look at the pictures of Iver Johnson model 1900, and can see that the op's handgun looks just like it. My mistake lol, was only trying to help, I did say I wasn't sure.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by randyhenke View Post
    On google I had seen a few with shorter barrels and wouldn't zoom in. That is what made me think it might be an 1892. I did look at the pictures of Iver Johnson model 1900, and can see that the op's handgun looks just like it. My mistake lol, was only trying to help, I did say I wasn't sure.
    That's cool, we're all here to learn, at least I am.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

I thought it was a Colt too, until I zoomed in. It isn't civil war era, much later. Most of those were cap and ball with some rimfires. Old Western Scrounger should have ammo.(maybe some parts too) Shoot it and enjoy it. There are lots of Iver Johnsons on Gunbroker. Usually over-priced, but would give you an idea. Your best bet for grips, would be large gunshows--there are always a few guys there with piles of old gun parts.

Sponsored Links