Carrying concealed the M&P 40 full size?

This is a discussion on Carrying concealed the M&P 40 full size? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just shot this beast at the range and loved the ergonomics and how it shot. I find that I like it, dare I say, as ...

Thread: Carrying concealed the M&P 40 full size?

Carrying concealed the M&P 40 full size?

Just shot this beast at the range and loved the ergonomics and how it shot.

I find that I like it, dare I say, as much as the Glock 23 I currently own.

If S&W made a mid-sized M&P (other than the M&P .45 of course).

Does anybody carry this? Does it work under a reasonable cover garment? How about during summer months (it usually peaks in the high 90s here with the rare 100+ day).

2. Remove Ads

I carry full sized glocks, 21,22 in FLA without any problems. just get a good holster and belt and carry it

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    The full size M&P in 9mm/40/357 Sig is really not that big or heavy a handgun compared to a number of other full size pistols. As apvbug said, all you need to do is to get a good holster for it.

The difference in size between it and a Glock 23 are really not a deal breaker. It is only 1/2 inch taller, which is not that much extra to conceal. Extra length really does not affect concealment. So the 8/10th inch greater length is really no issue. And it is only 2 1/2 oz heavier, which is nothing.

It rarely gets real hot here in Western Oregon. So if you live in the western part of our state, you should be able to dress to easily conceal it well all year long.

S&WM&P357Sig/40S&W with Crimson Trace Laser Grip is my everyday carry weapon. In winter I change out my barrel to the 357Sig caliber and load it with 125grain Gold Dots.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    I carry a M&P 45fs +2 mags everyday. OWB with untucked shirt. At 5'11" 175# no problem.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    I carry my Smith and Wesson model 19 (4 inch barrel) in some shorts and a tee-shirt. Its all about the holster. 98% of the time, I DO NOT have to dress around the gun to carry it, the right holster make C.C a large gun like that easy.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

VIP Member
    Why not get the 40c?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Why not get the 40c?
    I hate the way subcompacts feel in my hand. I have pretty large hands, to the point where the Glock 23 is almost too small for me.

I used to live in florida and had no issues carrying my M&P 357 IWB and two spare mags OWB with a t-shirt and jeans or shorts. Obviously I couldn't wear very close-fitting shirts but they certainly weren't baggy, or even loose, I would say they would be best described as relaxed fit.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    I carry full sized glocks, 21,22 in FLA without any problems. just get a good holster and belt and carry it
    Same here.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PainCakesx View Post
    I hate the way subcompacts feel in my hand. I have pretty large hands, to the point where the Glock 23 is almost too small for me.
    This is basically how I feel about these handguns also. I purchased a Glock 19 20 years ago and I just could not get comfortable holding it. My hands are likewise fairly large. I sold the gun after a couple of years, and ended up replacing it with a Glock 17.

However, while the full size S&W M&P 9mm/40S&W/357 Sig is just as tall as the full size Glock, it is a bit shorter in length. So for me, it is just about the ideal size for a combat pistol.

I carry my M&P40 Full Size and Compact in either my The Slide or Double Clip or Snap. I have no problem concealing both at the same time.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Links