Trying to make a decision. What would you do/pick?

This is a discussion on Trying to make a decision. What would you do/pick? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok here's my situation. I was shopping for a handgun a little over a month ago. I had narrowed my choices down to a SP101 ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Trying to make a decision. What would you do/pick?

Trying to make a decision. What would you do/pick?

Ok here's my situation.

I was shopping for a handgun a little over a month ago. I had narrowed my choices down to a SP101 .357 or a Glock 19.

I obviously (see username) went with the SP.

I made the mistake of going into one of my local gun shops last week and spotted a Glock 19 EXO 3rd generation. I want it. I know the 3rd gen Glocks have a good running history and this is a special edition Talo Edition EXO, I'll consider this a rare find and one of those "once in a lifetime" deals for me.

I spoke with the shop owner and he's willing to wheel and deal a bit on a trade but I'll still have to cover around $100 difference, plus tax.

I don't want this thread to turn into a war over caliber, capacity, etc...so please just give me your input as if you were in my shoes.

I have no complaints with the SP so far, just debating if I should jump on this or not. SP's will be around a while right? This edition Glock will be hard to find, I'm assuming, in the coming years possibly leaving me kicking myself for not taking action.

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Is there any way that you can swing keeping both?

They are both excellent firearms, worthy of hanging onto. It's really is hard to choose one without kicking yourself for letting the other go.

Can't afford both and by the time I could save up for the EXO it will surely be gone.

I'm planning on making the deal or not making the deal this weekend.

You can't go wrong with either. I wouldn't be swayed by a special edition unless it was pristine and that I intended to neither carry nor shoot. If money is an issue, stay with what you already own. Just my two cents worth.
    joker1 likes this.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FLSlim View Post
    You can't go wrong with either. I wouldn't be swayed by a special edition unless it was pristine and that I intended to neither carry nor shoot. If money is an issue, stay with what you already own. Just my two cents worth.
    Yah. Unless you think you'll carry the G19 better, keep the SP. A Glock is a Glock. It's not an investment.

What about putting the Glock on lay away and making payments on it? You may find that the glock is harder to conceal carry than the SP101, but then maybe not. As others have said, they are both great guns. Yes the 101 will most likely be around for a while longer and would be easier to come by than the Glock EXO, but you'll be losing money trading the 101.

I would say if you really want the Glock, then use the $100 you have to pay the difference, and put that down to put it on lay away, then make payments on it. You'll have both guns and be glad you kept the 101 in the end.

If your LGS doesn't want to do lay away, then they obviously don't want to work with the customer very much. I'd try and find an EXO at another dealer that will let me put it on lay away.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I love my stock EDC GLOCK 19 and I'd love to get a hold a SP101 one of these days. A "special" GLOCK is kind of silly to me. There is nothing you can do to a bone stock GLOCK to make it a better pistol. Like Slim said if you are planning on making that GLOCK a collectible then go for it. You might see if you can put it on layaway if you want it. If you are looking for a tool get a damn good tool. If trading the sp101 would leave you without a tool and with a special GLOCK that you'd hesitate using when your life depended on it, keep the sp101. If you have other tools and you want the special GLOCK go for it.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    To borrow a Nutnfancy phrase, it depends on your philosophy of use. In what capacity are you going to use the item in question?

Myself, I'm partial to the semi-auto...but that's me with my money!
    Good luck on your decision!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Distinguished Member
    I had to google g19 exo - here is a link to the Talo description for anybody else that wants it. TALO Distributors Inc. - special limited edition firearms for sale to stocking firearms dealers across the USA.

I'd pursue it if the whole Talo thing really floated my boat, which I would have to know a lot more about first. It looks neat though, I can see how you are attracted to it.

Having said this, the G19 in any variant is a wonderful wonderful thing.

los
    Tough decision for sure. I don't envy you at all.. .

That said, the G19 would probably make it home , one way or another.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Well, y'all definately aren't making this any easier, lol. =P

The bottom line for me right now financially is owning both is a no go. Sure I could probably save up and save up and put the Glock on layaway but work has slowed down at my job, so I'm not sure how much longer my job may or may not hold out unfortunately.

Let's throw out the whole money issue and say both are laying on the counter at the gun store and your allowed one.

Which would you pick?

I'm gonna make my decision by this afternoon possibly or atleast by Monday.

Thanks for the Link to the Glock, btw, sorry I forgot to provide that info.

Thanks for all the feedback so far, I knew I could rely on this forum for some answers. =)

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    The Glock is a GREAT weapon, no boudt-a-doubt it, but I would stick with American made, just my oponion. That is the only reason I bought my M&P instead of a Glock. I just had to draw the line on buying foreign made products. I know this post will be unpopular here...but just my $.02
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I would base my decision on the other fire arms that you own. If you have rifles and shotguns and lots of others I would go with the 19 as I feel it is one of the best guns of all time! If you only have one gun I think the 357 may give you a little more versatility.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

I agree with another comment, if money is that tight - keep what you have since you do like it and it's not giving you issues.

Little more info. =)

TALO is producing a number of Glock models with Fail Zero coated slides & barrels coated

About EXO Technology
    EXO Technology is a patented, nickel-boron coating from UCT Coatings, Inc. EXO Technology provides a hard, durable surface (40% harder than Chrome) and permanent lubricity to metal substrates, allowing firearms to operate without oil or grease. EXO coated components last longer, clean up easier, and require minimal maintenance, while increasing reliability in harsh environments (sand/dust, hot/cold, suppressed fire, frangible ammunition).

And here's my SP

I will also add that I carry my SP everyday in a SmartCarry holster and it dissapears. Haven't tested a G19 yet. It may end up that it's not as concealable as I like.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links