What do the women carry?

What do the women carry?

This is a discussion on What do the women carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Trying to get my permit-holder wife to become a shooter and carrier. Maybe if we hear from the ladies(or husbands)about what they carry I can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What do the women carry?

What do the women carry?

Trying to get my permit-holder wife to become a shooter and carrier. Maybe if we hear from the ladies(or husbands)about what they carry I can spark her interest more. Pics welcome! Thanks!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I bought my wife one of these. A S&W Airweight.

My daughter likes this one.

Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

My daughter loves her M&P 9c,my wife stole my M&P 45c so I bought her 2 additional mags,as soon as she gets her CHL I will make her a custom holster and mag pouches
    In all reality take your wife to a gun store/shooting range and let her pick after handling and shooting some,I know a girl that bought a Taurus 85UL 38/357 and hated the recoil and they were some light target loads I reloaded for her
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The best thing my husband did for me was take me to the range and let me try the handguns there. I was never afraid of the recoil, but racking the slide was hard for me at first. We moved on to revolvers, but after a few hours I found the one for me. My first was a Ruger P345. Now, I've moved on to a S&W 442 Airweight and Ruger LC9. I do not suggest a smaller gun being a first choice, but it's your wife's choice.

A few months ago we went shotgun shopping and my husband knows that I hate the recoil on a 20 gauge, but still bought a Remington 870 for us and it's the only gun in the house I hate.

Be patient with her. She'll carry when she's ready and comfortable, but for me I gained more than just a tool for self defense. I am more confident now than I ever was.

My wife carries either a Colt Defender in 9mm or a Glock 19. As previously stated, unless you let her pick/try/shoot what she wants, she won't be interested or happy.

My wife (Pinklady) tried whatever guns I had before she decided on a gun. She decided she wanted one of the older model S&W 60's in .38 only.
    We found one in excellent condition that had been carried for years by a bailiff but probably never shot it. Picked it up and put a set of hot pink hogue bantam grips on it. That is the gun in her Avatar. She never got comfortable carrying it though.

We have accumulated several more firearms since the day she got the Smith, and she has since settled on carrying the little Ruger LCP.

Smaller, lighter, thinner.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

My wife wanted to learn to shoot. We went out and she wanted use my S@W 642. Loved it and wanted to get her CPL. At the class she wanted to try my Glock26. I haven't gotten it back yet!
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

Wife and I were shooting at the range, I was trying out my new Kel Tec P3AT and she wanted to shoot it.

After a box of ammo through it she looked at me and said mine, it is now her EDC and she shoots and conceals it very well.

I added a CT laser to it for low light and night carry and that just made her happier.

I know 380 is considered small by some here, but I would not want to have her shoot that little pistol at me.

She shoots and handles her 9mm well, but it stays home because of size and conceal ability.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

I have several in the rotation but tend to carry the S&W J-frame and Ruger LCP the most.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Taurus 709 slim.

It depends on her level of enthusiasm and experience . There are no limits. Woman can carry whatever we carry. For one truly commited, they can carry larger guns like k frames and 1911s and will find holsters and dress attire that help them do this. For less experience woman who are not as commited to the effort, a smaller more concealable gun may be the ticket. Desire and commitment are the deciding factors. No different than us guys really.
    Old School and C hawk Glock like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    My wife loves her CZ75 Compact and CZ RAMI 9MM. Her carry gun is a Kahr CW9. Word of advise for BG's, she can "dot your eye's" in a heartbeat with any of them.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Cool

My wife carries a S&W 638 even though she shoots my Glock 19 very very well. She does not have the hand strength to work the slide of the G-19 due to an injury so she stays with the 638. As Glockman 10mm said the girls can carry anything the boys can. Letting the ladies make their own choice is the best way to do it. Did someone pick out what you or I should carry or did we make that decision on our own after carefully looking at all the options ? Ladies like to shop !
    photo.jpg
    glockman10mm likes this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    P3-AT...and don't disagree with her.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    It depends on her level of enthusiasm and experience . There are no limits. Woman can carry whatever we carry. For one truly commited, they can carry larger guns like k frames and 1911s and will find holsters and dress attire that help them do this. For less experience woman who are not as commited to the effort, a smaller more concealable gun may be the ticket. Desire and commitment are the deciding factors. No different than us guys really.
    I agree. This is my wife's carry piece.

I also agree with letting HER choose what fits and feels best for her. After all, she will be the one carrying it, or not. Guide her to effective calibers and reliable brands, and let her pick.

Stay away from the small light guns as a first gun because they are harder to manipulate and recoil more than their full size brethren. Compare a .38 snub w/ a 686 with the same +p round and tell me you can't feel a difference.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links