Ruger LCR

Ruger LCR

This is a discussion on Ruger LCR within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Simple enough, just a thread about the Ruger LCR since I couldnt find any references to one in the forums. I wanted to start one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCR

Ruger LCR

Simple enough, just a thread about the Ruger LCR since I couldnt find any references to one in the forums. I wanted to start one because I am considering getting one for my EDC gun light, powerful, choice of .357 or .38 and easily concealed right in a pocket. So what are your thoughts? oppinions? experiences?

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil...which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men!"

Yes I am what you might call a "conspiracy theorist" but what you call a "theory" I call the truth you are un-willing or un-able to see.

Nice gun. I have the LCR in 38 special. Easy to shoot and great for ccw. I am pleased I bought one.

I have a 38spl. LCR and it is the best snub revolver I have ever owned. I have had an all steel S&W 649 Bodyguard, 642 airweight and a 342pd airlight. The LCR is the best of the lot. Better out of the box trigger and the cylinder release is in a better spot and does not cut my knuckle like the Smiths. To me it doesn't feel like it recoils as bad with +p loads like the 642 and 342pd did. At 13.5 oz its still light enough for pocket carry. Buy it and don't look back.

Love mine and carry it daily along with my S&W 637. I have the .38 +p flavor and am pleased with it's ease of carry and concealment. Weighing in at 13.5oz it's so light that you'll almost forget it's there, but not while at the range. The recoil is brisk, but controllable and my experience with mine is it's a pretty darn accurate little revolver, if one takes the time to get used to the trigger. If you decide to get one I seriously doubt you'll regret the purchase; great little defense tool IMO.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

There are actually quite a few threads on the LCR but for some reason when I search for just LCR I get nothing, could be it's too short I don't know I've never had much luck w/ the search function on here. However the LCR is a great gun mine is in the .357 variety. I shoot my .357 mag reloads out of it and it handles them just fine. First few rounds though it stung and it took me a bit to perfect my form but now that I have all the user errors worked out I'm even more pleased with my little "pea shooter." This gun goes everywhere I go (that's legal/allowed of course), either as a bug or as my primary. I especially like this because I use it as my truck gun when I go to work where I can't bring in a gun and this is small enough to hide in the "secret" compartment built into the truck so that even if a smash and grab happens, which it has too many times @ work, they'll never find it. Actually I doubt 95% of the owners of my truck even know this spot exists :-D

Get a high noon mr softy holster and you're good to go. I appendix carry with it constantly.

I have both the .38 and the .357 variety of this gun. I absolutely love the .38. Lighter than the .357, yet is the most comfortable shooting .38 snub I've ever fired. The trigger is awesome, recoil is not bad at all thanks to the grip, and it is light and comfortable to carry. I wear mine OWB in a Don Hume J.I.T. slide and I trust it 100%.

The .357 version on the other hand is a little heavier, so it a little more weight to carry, but not bad at all. It would make it softer shooting on .38's, but I havn't put a lot through it yet. I did put some .357 rounds through it and it "is" painful to shoot. I'll keep it because it is a good back up gun and can easily just be used for .38's, but it will not be digesting anymore .357 as long as I own it.

For .38 or .38+P you can't go wrong with either one. If you want the lightest, go for the .38. If you want the option to shoot .357 and want the extra weight because you're afraid the recoil will be too harsh on the lighter gun, then get the .357 version. I don't think the recoil is too harsh on the lighter gun, and I consider myself to be recoil sensitive. It pushes back more than flips up.

Wonderful guns.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Hey AROOSTOOK! I lived in Presque Isle from '73-'79 and met some great people there. As far as the LCR, I'm thinking seriously of trading in my LCP ( still too snappy for me!) for the LCR in .357. Probably wouldn't shoot the .357 much, but I am recoil sensitive ( Yes, some of us are!) and so would go for the heavier version. For a few extra ounces, I'd rather not go for the lighter gun. Try them and then decide. Good luck.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

A friend and I recently tried the LCR and a S&W 642 side by side. We both liked the LCR way better, mostly due to the trigger. The 642 release also cut my knuckle (which did not happen a previous time I test fired it).

I have the LCR in 38 spcl and LOVE it.

Hey Philly good to hear from someone else who has suffered Aroostook County winters on here lol.

Thanks for all the great replies everyone! If I do get one I will be going with the .357, I figure I can shoot and practice with the .38 option and carry it with .357's since in the heat of the moment, with the adrenaline pumping, (god forbid) I dont think the added recoil would probably be an issue. However I have kind of been doing some soul searching and finding myself lately and Im actually not sure if I am going to be sticking with handguns and carrying, for personal reasons. I instead may be selling, or trading, my taurus 24/7 .40 I have now and getting a Marlin 1894 lever action instead. It could be used for home defense if need be, would make a great bug out gun should things get that hairy, and I want to start hunting so I can use it for that. Any input or ideas are welcome..........or interest in the 24/7 may push me along lol.
    "We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil...which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men!"

Yes I am what you might call a "conspiracy theorist" but what you call a "theory" I call the truth you are un-willing or un-able to see.

The 357 version is a good idea. I have the 38spcl version and a friend of mine has the 357 version. The 357 version is a bit heavier, but not brick-like. I found shooting it with 357s to be a handful, but very mild when shooting 38 splcs. This gives you more options.

I bought the .38 version for my mother.

Overall, its a decent revolver, but I wonder about its longevity if shot a lot. I put 100 rounds through this one before letting her shoot it, and it became incredibly "loose". I.e., LOTS of play between parts, especially between the yoke and the frame.

The issue rubber grip is great for absorbing recoil (which is one reason why I bought it) but actually a liability if the gun is to carried in a pocket. And, IMO, this thing isn't in the same league as a J frame; especially a pre-95 J frame. The LCR is bigger all around.Triggers are a wash; I handled six different NIB LCRs before finding one with a decent out-of-the-box DA pull; J frames aren't any better in this regard. However, I know how to "clean up" a J frame trigger, and looking at the LCR lockworks wasn't too inspirational. All of the "experts" on the forums say the LCR can be "cleaned up" by cutting the main spring. Right...

Anyway, I am confident that this LCR will serve my mother fine; stuck in a drawer, and hopefully won't ever be disturbed until I grab it for maintenance every few months. But for basically the same size and an extra round, I'd pay the extra scratch for an older Colt snubbie before I'd carry an LCR personally (assuming a J frame wasn't available).

Anyway... opinions vary. That's mine.

Quote Originally Posted by sud123 View Post
    Nice gun. I have the LCR in 38 special. Easy to shoot and great for ccw. I am pleased I bought one.
    Yep!

I am looking at the LCR hard too. I may get the .38 for the 'not dragging my shorts down' factor, but might go .357 for the sole reason that IF I want it in the woods, I have faith that the .357 willstop most anything we have in the northeast. Only concern is the short barrel, but there's loads for that. My 'woodsgun' now is a S&W 586, 4 inch. Kind of prominent.
    I have a Winchester 94 in 30-30, good deer gun, might be better caliber for moose or bear. Check the 'Combat Lever Action' thread for some interesting info on one for home defense.
    Used to stomp around greater Moosehead, God's country up your way. At least 4 months a year!

jenkums86: Wish I had been into guns while in Aroostook; there were many places to go and shoot out in the beautiful open spaces of northern Maine. In those days I was more into boating on Echo Lake. You might want to look at a Bersa Thunder .380. Probably a little too big for the pocket, but an excellent gun for little money! I've never read a thread that wasn't a plus for these guns. I traded in my 15 rnd. for an LCP/CT and wish I had kept it, but wifey feels four guns is already about three too many! So I hope you get a decent gun that you can learn to appreciate and use in good health.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links