what's the best defense round for a Glock .40?

This is a discussion on what's the best defense round for a Glock .40? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a G27 when I'm not at work... however, I'm starting to realize that with my smart carry, I actually can carry my G27 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: what's the best defense round for a Glock .40?

I carry a G27 when I'm not at work... however, I'm starting to realize that with my smart carry, I actually can carry my G27 totally concealed and relatively comfortable, even tucked in. I'm thinking of switching over from my 642...

I love the smith, but 10 rounds of 40 (or 19 rounds with the spare mag) is a lot more horsepower than 5 rounds of 38 (or 15 with 2 loaders).

And the G27 has just been a rock. Completely accurate and reliable.

My question, especially to Glock .40 owners, is there a 'best' .40 defensive round?
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    I prefer Golden Saber ammo for all my pistol SD loads - 9 mm, .38, .40 & .45.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I dont think there is a "best" self defense ammo. Just choose a good hollow point by a american mfg. Bullet placement is much more important than having some super SD ammo. Anything from Federal, Remington, Winchester..etc. and youll be good. I personally choose Rem Golden Sabre, Federal Hydra-Shock, and Buffalo Bore. Heres a good read about SD ammo:

Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I like HST or Gold Dots. Any major brand JHP will work.

Distinguished Member Array CDW4ME's Avatar
    I like the Smartcarry too. If you look online (Gunbroker) you can get Winchester Ranger T and that is one I like, the other is Golden Saber. IME Golden Saber produces less kick (recoil).
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

I use one of these three in all my defense guns. IMO, any of these will provide a excellent level of power and performance.

Remington Golden Saber
    Speer Gold Dot
    Federal HST JHP

But as stated above, just about any well known JHP in the calibers you've mentioned will provide good performance for self defense.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Anybody have thoughts on Hornady critical defense in .40?
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by red13 View Post
    Anybody have thoughts on Hornady critical defense in .40?
    - Yes, why bother when HST, Gold Dot, etc. meet the FBI protocols?
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

As others have mentioned, pick a round from that list, make sure it feeds well in your gun and then don't worry about the round's performance. Focus on what is really important, which is training, training, training. Shot placement is always going to be the most important factor.

If it feeds reliably in your autos use it. IMO, it's a good round for self defense. The HP design is state of the art and it seems to do exactly what they say it will. My only problem with it was, it didn't want to feed reliably in my LCP, Sig P238 or DB380. Didn't try it in any of my other larger caliber autos, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it in my revolvers. Now that you mention it, it might be something I'll do some home performance test on. That's the perks of trusting a revolver for defense, you really don't need to worry about any ammo feeding properly. Any quality ammo will work just fine in a rotating cylinder.

It seemed to be the sharp angle of the nose of the round that didn't like the feed ramp angle for the pistols I mentioned, other than that the Hornady is an excellent round in most any caliber, IMO anyway.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Speer GDHP 180 grain has always been reliable for me in a G23 and G27
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I carry the PDX1's in 180gr in my G27 Gen4. I practice with the HST's 180gr. I have over 800 rounds through my 27 and it's been flawless.

If there was one BEST round, we would all carry it and there would be nothing to argue about and we would all be bored.

Get whatever round you think will work from any of the major manufacturers, test it for reliability, then carry it. Spend twice as much on practice ammo as you spend on defense ammo and you'll be in great shape.

FWIW, the major LEO agencies around me use a mix of Hydra Shok, Ranger SXT, Gold Saber, and Gold Dot. They buy on price bids for the most part.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

VIP Member
    Cor Bon DPX

The 40 is a high pressure load, and anything it spits out reliably will do the job.

Reloads:
    180 Hornady XTP for deer
    175 hard cast for bear (if you left your 10mm or 41 mag at home)
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I have the luxury of having a friend who is a forensic firearms examiner trained by BATFE, who happens to be able to see terminal ballisitics "in the real" and in a controlled scientific test. He says the Gold Dot is the most consistent performer in SD handgun rounds for expansion etc. He states the Winchester Ranger SXT was very close behind.

I load GDHP in all my handguns, currently and for the forseeable future my EDC is a G23. I run 180 gr GDHP. Very accurate and dependable in my gun.
    red13 likes this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Ive researched this quite a bit and my personal favorite is HST. They seem to consistently perform regardless of the caliber. My next fav is Gold Dot. Smart Carry is a great option and it alos provides a very effective method to carry to carry a reload.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links