Which "one" of these would you make your EDC ?

This is a discussion on Which "one" of these would you make your EDC ? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Keep in mind summer clothing Pick one of the following and say why you chose that one plus list any mods you'd make: 1. Walther ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Which "one" of these would you make your EDC ?

Which "one" of these would you make your EDC ?

Keep in mind summer clothing
    Pick one of the following and say why you chose that one plus list any mods you'd make:
    1. Walther PPS 9mm, 7+1rds,striker fire action/pre-cocked, 19.4oz, 6.3"long, 3.2"brl $580
    2. S&W M&P340 .357, 5rds, DAO, 13.3oz, 6.31"long, 1.875"brl $690
    3. S&W 649 .357, 5rds, SA/DA, 23oz, 6.56"long, 2.125"brl $600
    4. S&W 642 .38spl, 5rds, DAO, 16oz, 7"long, 2.5"brl $460
    5. S&W 638 " , " ,SA/DA, " , " , " "

I'm leaning towards the 340(don't like the finish, not SS) think'n the options of carry'n .357, .38, and some bird/snake shot and possibly a combination of the 3 ammos depending on where i'm going ofcoarse.
    My plan is to own 1 of these to add with a Beretta Cx4 Storm i'll buy for the house/car and these will be the only guns i've ever owned.
    Note i live in such a remote area a firing range to road test guns out is 3hrs away. I made that trip a few wknds ago learning enough to feel comfortable with any of the above mentioned.
    THNX, your input will not only give me info to help my decision but assist me up the learning curve ladder.
    Once i get these i'm sign'n up for a 1yr mmbrshp at our local range that's owned by an X-law-enforcement guy. I'll be able to shoot almost anytime plus there are the classes. $125 for 1yr range fee, 20% off any classes like to get CCW permit, and $20 over his cost for the peacemakers from some site only those that have been in the profession can access and buy>yea i'm not totally clear with all the specifics on this. Really look'n 4ward to what you all have to say.
    Last edited by danlct; May 22nd, 2011 at 01:09 PM.

2. Remove Ads

The 340 is a great option I have on in my pocket as I type. The 649 would be your best option for any more than occasional 357 shooting.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I agree with the 649 for all around uses.

The 649 for sure.

Distinguished Member
    I would choose the PPS. You will probably shoot it more accurately, longer barrel, better sights ( can be changed to night sights ) better trigger, more rounds ( can use higher capacity mags ) less felt recoil.

Only modifications I would add is, night sights and qwik grip, slip on grip.

The only advantage I can see getting a light weight revolver is if you want to pocket carry or using it as a BUG.
    enk5 likes this.

Bear in mind opinions are like bellybuttons - everybody's got one, and there are few that carry a lot of weight.

Here's mine: skip the 340; even standard-pressure .38s in a 16 oz snub get pretty tiring in a practice session, and +Ps get downright annoying. Losing another 2-33 ounces will make the gun that less manageable. .357s in that gun will go way past annoying. I'd say stick to the 15-16 oz guns.

.38 or .357? Flip a coin. Of course, the .357 gives you the option of .38 or .357. But if you get the .357 and actually carry it with .357s loaded, then you'd best practice with 'em. I'm a half-decent shot with full-size guns in significant calibers, but getting good hits on target with a J-frame even with .38s takes a lot of work. I can't imagine how much harder it would be with .357s.

Your wheelgun candidates overall are good ones - all are either "hammerless" or have shrouded hammers. I carried a regular snub for years, but having moved to a Bodyguard style years ago, I'll never carry an exposed-hammer pocket gun again - it's just that much easier on the draw.

The PPS is by all accounts a fine gun, but unless you're the size of Herman Munster I doubt you'll be able carry that in a pocket, as you will the J-frames. Here's where you have to decide on the purpose this purchase, considering (among other things) pocket or belt carry?

Also - I live in the desert and hike where I see a lot of snakes. Never absolutely had to shoot one, and the ones that were close enough to be a serious concern I felt confident enough to hit with a regular bullet. The most serious threats you'll run into afield will likely have two legs, and with a 5-shot gun I wouldn't want to give up 20% of my hit potential to snake shot. But, that's something else for you to assess and decide for yourself.

Lastly - save some bucks for good holsters. Please don't carry your snub in a pocket without a holster... use the search function here to research "pocket holsters" - lots of good ones available these days. And always, always - carry spare ammo. Speed loaders and/or speed strips - learn how to use 'em, and don't leave home without 'em.

Good luck - enjoy the research - and post back with what you chose!
    glockman10mm, jwhite75 and OD* like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

As far as I'm concerned, the above advice by gasmitty says all you need to know. Only advice I can add is to tell you to take his.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

g-man, yer too kind...
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I agree with gasmitty and glockman10mm. The only thing I would add is that if you like the 340 overall but want a more shootable gun, take a look at the 640. It is much easier to shoot and is like shooting a .22 with .38 special rounds.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

You've left some really good guns off the list that may be better choices. Considering you didn't state you cared about price, the 340 would be best for ccw only. If you want to combine ccw with fun shooting and lower cost ammo the walther pps would be best, plus the same ammo as the cx4 carbine.
    Remember a 9mm rifle adds little over a pistol 9mm. They are fun to shoot though. Maybe consider a shotgun at half the cost, or an AR type rifle for serious shtf.

That does hone 'er in * yea me and 252 miles round da block and i'd pocket carry *
    pocket carry option does the doozer :>D *
    now have'n the most weight, and length carried with some comfort level incl holster has some worth, huh *
    640/649 only .25" longer than a 340, but 10. oz heavier; then again i'll figure out what wt. is ok all day *
    we've got 2 good local GSs and 2 more that might be good for somethun but not for figure'n much of anything; strickly business is a fine name for a race-car not for a customer oriented business attitude *
    seems like 6 2/3s" is bout tops not incl holster for my pockets to carry *
    now i'm like'n a 640 so i'm due for a 23oz weight fitting

I have a S&W 442 (basically same as 642) and a SP101 .357. I like them both for what they are. I couldn't imagine shooting .357 out of a gun lighter than my 442 and I actually kind of like recoil. A great balance between the two would be a 649. Smaller and lighter than the SP101 yet heavy enough to be able to shoot .357 well with the option of SA and no hammer snag. What's more to want?
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member
    You wont pocket carry long with a 23+ oz pistol in your pocket and if it's longer than a 2" barrel you better have some deep pockets or the butt is going to stick out.

VIP Member
    #5 Shrouded hammer SA/DA
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    A gun that's heavier than the 642 will become cumbersome when carried in a pocket all day long. It appears you are new to handguns and a heavy recoiling gun like the 340 or any of the 357's listed, could cause you to develop a severe flinch, which could be hard to overcome. The ballistic advantage of a 357 is far overshadowed by the recoil generated in a light revolver. I'd stay with a 38spl for now. Standard 38spl's for practice and +P's for carrying.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links