Mouse guns

This is a discussion on Mouse guns within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since I was in my teens I've read about this brand of gun and that brand of ammo, feet per second, bullet expansion, knock down ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Mouse guns

Mouse guns

Since I was in my teens I've read about this brand of gun and that brand of ammo, feet per second, bullet expansion, knock down power bullet placement e.g. Sen. Giffords, etc. The essense of these discussions never change. And all are true. But I've never read anything about the one thing I believe is perhaps more, or at least equally, important as all of the above...Fear Factor. If I'm approaching you to do you harm and you point a gun at me, shakey hand or not, .45 or .22LR the first thing I'm going to do is wet my pants, then I'll turn and run. Because of man's survival instinct, I contend that even a mouse .22 or .25 is a VIABLE carry gun. Ham

2. Remove Ads

That may be true for a rational person who cares about their life... many people are not rational and/or are intoxicated, and some don't care about their life. Heck, if I'm sufficiently angry, I'm not entirely rational. On at least two occaisions, I was angry enough to get in the face of much larger opponents, who fortunately for me backed down.

Dealing with people like that, who don't display a normal fear reaction is a reality. Some people, especially intoxicated people, don't have a normal pain reaction either.

I love my LCP, but I typically carry my .40
    Old School and oneshot like this.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

Senior Moderator
    Because of man's survival instinct, I contend that even a mouse .22 or .25 is a VIABLE carry gun
    Survival Instict.
    Its exactly that reason that the .22 or 25 is NOT a viable gun.

Sometimes people aren't so easy to kill, especially when the fear factor is pegged out. While I often state that ANY gun is better than NO gun, I do carry one that I consider adequate for the job if need be.
    I see no reason to handicap oneself with a mouse gun.
    oneshot likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

sgb
    OP your premise is faulty as not everyone will wet themselves and run screaming like a little girl.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

I look into that itty bitty hole of a 22 and/or 25 barrel, unloaded, of course, and, personally, I don't think it'll scare anybody. The 380 at least looks the size of a 9mm for scareability.

.380 minimum ! ! Some people don't even consider that sufficient. A lot of people consider 38+P or 9mm minimum. But if it's all you got. Even a .22 is better than no gun at all.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Cool

Welcome to the forum OP.

I have mouse guns. The Diamondback .380 is my BUG and the .25 Beretta is an old keepsake from the 1970's undercover narcotics years when any gun was better than no gun and a .38 spl snubnose said you were a cop. I cannot rely on what the person I am pointing my weapon at might do, I have to rely on a weapon that has been by and large a proven stopper if I do my part. Most of the time I am carrying a .40 S&W or a .45 ACP. as my primary. It just makes sense to me.

photo.jpg
    My mice ! click to enlarge
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

VIP Member
    While 2 out of 3 BG's may turn tail and run at the sight of an armed intended victim, what do you do with that 1 that doesn't? I prefer to persuade them with a .45. I want something I know will make a BIG hole and leave a good blood trail for the police to follow. While a .22 or .25 or .32 can end an attack, a 9MM, .40 or .45 will normally do it a lot quicker.

Added: Welcome to the forum.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    image001.jpg

Rohrbaugh R9 is a 9mm mousegun
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Welcome to the forum!

While it's true that no one wants to be shot by any bullet. I don't think you should go through life thinking that if you pull out any gun, the bad guy is gonna run away.

Oh yeah, I do carry a mouse gun, Taurus TCP 738 in .380 . Not because I think it's enough to do the job, but because of health issues it's all I can carry weight wise.
    Question Everything!

mmmmmm...popcorn...

QKShooter likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger LCP (2), LCR, Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Any gun may do the job, but I prefer the bigger hole makers...I'm just sayin'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I too own a .25acp but I only carry that in rare situations when carry a bigger gun isn't possible. the .25 can kill a person but in SD situations you just want to stop an attacker and a .25 just doesn't have the stopping/knock down power of a larger caliber weapon like a .45

All valid points. I best like the one stating that not all attachers are rational, may be intoxicated, etc. Thanks for the feedback. Ham

los
    I consider my AMT Back Up 45 to be The King of Mouse Guns.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links