1. Are there any benefits on a 2.5" vs a 1.875" barrel on a snubbie? 2. lazer?

This is a discussion on 1. Are there any benefits on a 2.5" vs a 1.875" barrel on a snubbie? 2. lazer? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 1. Stat is very close to 5/8 inch difference A. Longer barrel equals greater velocity B. Plus the sight is longer Is the 5/8" enough ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By brobar

Thread: 1. Are there any benefits on a 2.5" vs a 1.875" barrel on a snubbie? 2. lazer?

1. Stat is very close to 5/8 inch difference
    A. Longer barrel equals greater velocity
    B. Plus the sight is longer
    Is the 5/8" enough to make it count, therefore reason to get the longer barrel?

Also, if i'm somewhat correct, given the range limits with these two barrel lengths in .38spl(+p) combined with an average shooter what if any is gained with an extra 5/8" barrel length in an altercation?

2. On a snubbie is it worth paying for a lazer?
    Since for the most part it's a point and shoot situation, if the peacemaker ever gets drawn in the 1st place, but given a bad scene and the gun is drawn when is having a lazer snubbie an advantage?..............

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Without any facts to currently back it up, I think the barrel length doesn't matter a whole lot when you get down that small. As for the laser, that would be personal preference. It might help while your adrenaline is pumping, and with the tunnel vision.

And, if nothing else, the laser will be REALLY COOL when you show your new toy off to your buddies.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

My snub is for close up work, I probably will not even try to aim, just point and shoot. I also don't think a snub is the gun to use for accuracy at distance.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

If it is your only SD firerarm go for the longer barrel, and longer sight radius. The Laser is a great training aid, but you should spend eaual amounts of time training with it as you do your irons. for point shooting up close out to about 5 feet yeah a laser would be handy but past arms length distance I am going to my sighted shooting.

The laser IMHO is much better idea on a pocket gun like a snubbie than on a full size gun.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Snubs can be surprisingly accurate at moderate distances. I have no trouble hitting a 8" steel plate at 25 yds. But most CC guns are typically meant to be used at relatively short distances. The difference in those two barrel lengths is negligible and they'd probably fit in the same holster.

A laser on a snubbie can be a valuable training tool as well as a defensive tool especially for a new shooter. It let's you see where your shots (and gun) are going during practice sessions, so making corrections becomes easier and your proficiency grows faster. The laser is a great aid for practicing point shooting. In a defensive situation your eyes will focus completely on the threat (most likely) and your sights may be out of focus due to tunnel vision. Picking up the laser dot on your target should be easier in these situations.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I wasn't sure if the 5/8ths would make any noticeable difference
    My guessing leaned towards negligible also, especially given the percentage on bad-guy scenerios playing out being not many hopefully and within 21 ft or less; though there's always that exceptional rare situation.

I would not have thought of the value of the lazer close-up. When i fired a 642ct bout a month of Saturdays ago i was using it to be more accurate at a further distance.
    This sparks my interest for a lazer having another practical application, especially as one new to firearms > options are nice.
    Instilling the "fear factor" for the BG to have the red dot on his heart wherever is 1 for the pro side,
    Are there cons of having a lazer? Low to no light limits ofcoarse, and that the BG sees the beam coming from your gun

Greetings,

At close-in SD distances, I agree with the consensus that the difference in barrel length will not be significant wrt accuracy, and probably not much in terms of power, either. I will say, though, that my experience with .357's has been that there is a VERY significant difference in muzzle blast/flash/felt recoil between my 2-3/4" Security Six and a 4" .357. Dunno if the difference would be as dramatic with a .38 though, and you're comparing shorter barrel lengths.

If it was me, I'd go with the longer barrel. Not going to make much difference in concealability, but I think you'll find it's just generally a lot easier and more pleasant to shoot.

As for the laser - if you think you'll be shooting at distances where a laser would matter, then the longer barrel would probably matter more. JMHO

Regards,
    Jim

Administrator
    Is the 5/8" enough to make it count, therefore reason to get the longer barrel? - No.

Are there any benefits on a 2.5" vs a 1.875" barrel on a snubbie? - No.

Consider both a belly gun so the 5/8 should make no difference. As for muzzle flash it will most likely be absorbed by the fatty flesh. Snubbies like that would not be a choice for me over a few yards IMO. I carry a 686 plus and it is just right in a 3" barrel. It is also concealable. My only issue with a very short barrel is anything you carry should be shot often to be comfortable with the gun. I have shot the S&W 327 performance ctr .357 with 2" BARREL and it is wicked. You may feel it is not a problem. Good luck.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

I would go with the longer barell length and skip the laser. IMO this is a point and shoot defensive gun. If I were you, I'd spend the laser money on ammo and pratice, practice, practice.

I installed after market CT grips on my 642 and love them. In a SHTF situation you aren't going to be sight aiming (not those tiny little sights) so I figured the CT grips would be perfect for point aiming situations and they really are. In all my practice/training I've noticed they make a significant difference in accuracy and I want to be able to accurately place my shots where I want them to go. I can't speak to the 2.5 vs 1.875 and benefits. I figured any benefits would be minor.
    red13 likes this.

I have crimson traces on the 3 guns I carry, G27, M&P 40c, and 642. Other than potentially saving the day in a low light, fast moving situation, my way of thinking is it just might save me from actually having to shoot somebody. Some people out there are really screwed up, either mentally or through intoxication, or both. They could potentially miss the whole 'just about to be shot' thing. Especially in low light, those CT's are really bright, and fairly intimidating. It just might help them make a better decision.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

My adult daughter, shooting a gun for the 1st time last week w/ her TCP and CT laser grouped her 1st 18 shots within 4in @ 7yds. Towards the end of the hour, she was hitting at will wherever she wanted w/o the laser on. Good for learning!!!!

VIP Member
    The effect of the barrel length differences will be negligible on the snubbies. The CT grips on a snubbie can aid in aiming when you are at less than arms length from the perp, but who can’t hit the target at that range anyway?

Not sure how the peacemaker got into your smubbie thread, but if you are using a snubbie to back-up a peacemaker, I suggest a new primary weapon or just use the snubbie as primary. The peacemaker being a single action would be significantly slower for follow-up shots when in a close encounter that may require your off-hand to be involved with the perp.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

The CT can be a great training tool for a snobby, especially if you don't have a lot of experience shooting a DA revolver,

Sponsored Links