Opinions needed on Kahr P380

This is a discussion on Opinions needed on Kahr P380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anybody got one? What do you think off it? I have a line on one but I don't have any first hand experience with Kahr. ...

Thread: Opinions needed on Kahr P380

Anybody got one? What do you think off it?

I have a line on one but I don't have any first hand experience with Kahr. Im not looking for caliber war. Just opinions on Kahr in general and this model. Thanks.
    Question Everything!

Administrator
    Kahr builds a quality product. But, anytime you get that small in a handgun, it can become a bit fickle. No worries though, as long as your willing to accept that, you can make yourself very reliable with a micro gun. If you want a micro, there is none better than Kahr IMO.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I bought one about a month ago new. Put about 400 rounds through it and had a tough time with FTF and FTE with multiple fmj ammo (did get better last 100 rounds). Decideded I was not comfortable with the reliability and traded for a Sig P238.

I really like the Kahr P380. After the proper break-in period, this is a great handgun that is very accurate for the size.

I had a similar experience to Aiko. About 400 rounds and still failures to feed and eject. Great sights and great little gun, but the reliability just isn't there. Sold mine, got a 642.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

Got one three months ago; love it. I've had a PPK, LCP, and still have the MicroDeagle but the Kahr is the most fun, most accurate and softest recoil of my experience with a .380. My only failures have been a failure for the slide to lock open on last round due to operator error (LW). Be sure to follow the break-in and lube threads on

KahrTalk Forums - Powered by vBulletin

This is my first posting here, but there will be more.

Based upon my personal experience so far, I would caution against such a costly investment for now, but stay tuned for updates.

Just today, I sent my new P380 back to Kahr (They paid the FedEx fee).

I followed the break-in instructions, but experienced very frequent premature slide lockbacks (and it wasn't due to my thumb!) with a variety of quality FMJ's and hollow points.

This did not improve after over 550 various break-in rounds and a replacement slide stop (promptly provided by Kahr upon my request). There were also a few too many "stovepipe" ejection and feed failures to earn my trust -- yet. The failures occurred both when the gun was clean, and when it was fouled from firing.

I realize it is a challenge to produce a reliable compact weapon, and that Ruger, S&W, and others have had issues with their similar products, but at a lower price point. I hope this issue can be resolved because the Kahr's trigger, (night) sights and overall quality appearance prompted me to spend the extra money.
    Last edited by Glockwatcher; May 25th, 2011 at 07:40 AM. Reason: typo

GM
    I do not have any experience with the P380, but I can tell about the PM9 and the MK9; they are awesome pistols. Kahr's are very good firearms, but they are a little different; be aware that it might take some time before you can master it. If I wanted a .380 I should definitely consider getting a Kahr.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I've had my P380 for a couple months, and about 300 rounds. Most of them WWB, but I have tried several brands of SD ammo. Gold Dots, Hornady XTP, and some type of Winchester. I had 1 stovepipe on the second round, and since the it has been perfect.
    I would say the Kahr, and the Sig 238 are the softest shooting 380s out there. I sold my LCP, and the 442 spends most of its time in the safe now.
    Yo Macklin, great party, but no whiskey. We go home now.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links