Opinions needed on Kahr P380

This is a discussion on Opinions needed on Kahr P380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anybody got one? What do you think off it? I have a line on one but I don't have any first hand experience with Kahr. ...

Thread: Opinions needed on Kahr P380

Opinions needed on Kahr P380

Anybody got one? What do you think off it?

I have a line on one but I don't have any first hand experience with Kahr. Im not looking for caliber war. Just opinions on Kahr in general and this model. Thanks.
    Question Everything!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Kahr builds a quality product. But, anytime you get that small in a handgun, it can become a bit fickle. No worries though, as long as your willing to accept that, you can make yourself very reliable with a micro gun. If you want a micro, there is none better than Kahr IMO.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I bought one about a month ago new. Put about 400 rounds through it and had a tough time with FTF and FTE with multiple fmj ammo (did get better last 100 rounds). Decideded I was not comfortable with the reliability and traded for a Sig P238.

I really like the Kahr P380. After the proper break-in period, this is a great handgun that is very accurate for the size.

I had a similar experience to Aiko. About 400 rounds and still failures to feed and eject. Great sights and great little gun, but the reliability just isn't there. Sold mine, got a 642.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

Got one three months ago; love it. I've had a PPK, LCP, and still have the MicroDeagle but the Kahr is the most fun, most accurate and softest recoil of my experience with a .380. My only failures have been a failure for the slide to lock open on last round due to operator error (LW). Be sure to follow the break-in and lube threads on

KahrTalk Forums - Powered by vBulletin

This is my first posting here, but there will be more.

Based upon my personal experience so far, I would caution against such a costly investment for now, but stay tuned for updates.

Just today, I sent my new P380 back to Kahr (They paid the FedEx fee).

I followed the break-in instructions, but experienced very frequent premature slide lockbacks (and it wasn't due to my thumb!) with a variety of quality FMJ's and hollow points.

This did not improve after over 550 various break-in rounds and a replacement slide stop (promptly provided by Kahr upon my request). There were also a few too many "stovepipe" ejection and feed failures to earn my trust -- yet. The failures occurred both when the gun was clean, and when it was fouled from firing.

I realize it is a challenge to produce a reliable compact weapon, and that Ruger, S&W, and others have had issues with their similar products, but at a lower price point. I hope this issue can be resolved because the Kahr's trigger, (night) sights and overall quality appearance prompted me to spend the extra money.
    Last edited by Glockwatcher; May 25th, 2011 at 07:40 AM. Reason: typo

GM
    I do not have any experience with the P380, but I can tell about the PM9 and the MK9; they are awesome pistols. Kahr's are very good firearms, but they are a little different; be aware that it might take some time before you can master it. If I wanted a .380 I should definitely consider getting a Kahr.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I've had my P380 for a couple months, and about 300 rounds. Most of them WWB, but I have tried several brands of SD ammo. Gold Dots, Hornady XTP, and some type of Winchester. I had 1 stovepipe on the second round, and since the it has been perfect.
    I would say the Kahr, and the Sig 238 are the softest shooting 380s out there. I sold my LCP, and the 442 spends most of its time in the safe now.
    Yo Macklin, great party, but no whiskey. We go home now.

Links