Temporary Carry

This is a discussion on Temporary Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Until I get a holster that will hold my Sig P220 Carry w/ the laser (may take it off, TBD), I ended up with a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Temporary Carry

Temporary Carry

Until I get a holster that will hold my Sig P220 Carry w/ the laser (may take it off, TBD), I ended up with a DAO S&W .38 SPL. It's like the newer "Airweight" models like the 642, only I have no idea what model this actually is. The SN on the bottom of the grip is CAA8747. Holds 5 shots of .38 SPL.

What are your thoughts on using this in the interim? Will it suffice? Should I just carry a stick? Spray? Tote the dog around?
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

2. Remove Ads

I would have no concerns carrying this until your holster arrives. I would pick up some Speer Gold Dot 135 grain +P ammo and consider myself good to go.

VIP Member
    I've seen what 110gr Cor Bon DPX can do out of that snubby. Verry impressive. Consider yourself plenty well armed. Well, maybe not as well as with the Sig.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I carried a S&W Airweight off duty and since for about 40 years, they are a very good little gun.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

It's been said that revolvers are often recommended to girlfriends and other beginners because they are 'simple.' True to a point, but a snubbie is not a beginner weapon. Any Smith snubbie is capable of amazing accuracy, way better than you would think possible, but it takes a certain amount of practice. If your used to big auto 3 dot or bar-dot sights, you'll feel like a snub has no sight s at all. But the ones one my 642 are perfectly usable, at least in bright light, and I can put all 5 in an 8 inch circle at 20 yards.

Also a 5 shot limit, so they have to count. When I carry mine, I always carry 2 speedloaders. They also take a little practice.
    Anybody can get scared, but you must absolutely not let that affect your behavior. Cowardice kills. -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    I would take the time to practice with it. I stunk on ice when I first got my 637. It amplified everything that I was doing wrong.

Although I got the mojo now.

Thx for the quick replies all (between home & work travel for me LOL).

I fully intend on practicing with it, starting immediately (going to the range at lunch today and burn at least 50-100 rounds). I'm not sure what ammo is in it as it was given to me w/ defensive rounds of some sort. Probably going to have to manufacture a holster for my other, so no telling how long it'll be before I can start carrying my preferred one. Granted, getting warmer, no denying that it's a lot easier to conceal.
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

Quote Originally Posted by GhostRed7 View Post
    I ended up with a DAO S&W .38 SPL... only I have no idea what model this actually is.
    Open the gun as if to reload it. On the frame next to the cylinder crane hinge is where S&W stamps the revolver model number - see the photo.
    Attached Images
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Cool...will check it out. All I knew about was the # on the bottom of the grip frame (the CAA8747).

Quote Originally Posted by GhostRed7 View Post
    Until I get a holster that will hold my Sig P220 Carry w/ the laser (may take it off, TBD), I ended up with a DAO S&W .38 SPL. It's like the newer "Airweight" models like the 642, only I have no idea what model this actually is. The SN on the bottom of the grip is CAA8747. Holds 5 shots of .38 SPL.

What are your thoughts on using this in the interim? Will it suffice? Should I just carry a stick? Spray? Tote the dog around?
    Of course you carry it in the meantime. It's a 38, cops used them for decades. C'mon.............
    GhostRed7 likes this.

For about $7 you can get a Mikes pocket holster. Cheap and effective.
    " The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." Henry Kissenger

The snub is one of the most versatile carry weapons. Practice and get proficient and it will serve you very well. I carry my 442 in my weak side pocket as a secondary access with whatever else I am carrying. I also carry it in my jacket pocket in the winter. Walk in a parking lot with your hand on the grip and you can actually shoot through the pocket if you have to...no digging under layers to access your IWB primary. Its also a good in-home loungewear carry piece, shorts pocket, yard work, etc. There are lots of applications of the little snub...it's a keeper.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by red13 View Post
    It's been said that revolvers are often recommended to girlfriends and other beginners because they are 'simple.' True to a point, but a snubbie is not a beginner weapon. Any Smith snubbie is capable of amazing accuracy, way better than you would think possible, but it takes a certain amount of practice. If your used to big auto 3 dot or bar-dot sights, you'll feel like a snub has no sight s at all. But the ones one my 642 are perfectly usable, at least in bright light, and I can put all 5 in an 8 inch circle at 20 yards.

Also a 5 shot limit, so they have to count. When I carry mine, I always carry 2 speedloaders. They also take a little practice.
    All true words!

I carry my little 5 shot when I can not hip carry and when my M&P is too big for my pockets. No problems at all.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

VIP Member
    No problem with the .38 Special. They've been stopping BG's for well over 100 years. With a good defensive round it will serve you well until your holster arrives.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thx for all the help all. I'm not sure about the +P or not, b/c it's not stamped on the side. Probably pre-dates that. Will that ammo work in it? What is the +P?

As for the holster....we're going to have to fabricate one. Have leatherworking experience, just never made a holster before. Someone sent me a good link for getting stuff to do that.

Will give my extremely novice review soon...never got to go fire it yesterday :(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links