My magazine is new and it will not accept the capacity

My magazine is new and it will not accept the capacity

This is a discussion on My magazine is new and it will not accept the capacity within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I purchased a new magazine +2 for a G27. It is supposed to hold 11 rounds. I can only fit 10 rounds in it. However. ...

Thread: My magazine is new and it will not accept the capacity

Question My magazine is new and it will not accept the capacity

I purchased a new magazine +2 for a G27. It is supposed to hold 11 rounds. I can only fit 10 rounds in it. However. When I purchased the weapon brand new, the original 9 round only took 8. Today it accepted the last (9th) round. I have only had the original 9rd mag 1.5 wks and the 11rd 2 days. I think I pretty much answered my own question, just would like some confirmation.

SS
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

yep put as many in it as you can and leave it a week then put a another round in if possible and leave it sit then keep adding till its full..

Glocks are really bad about this

Assistant Administrator
    SIG std 10 rounders also bad!!

I got two with my 226 and added another - before remembering I could (as I then did) get some 15's or even 20's.

Two of the three all but refused a 10th round the third did - just. Now thay have seen some use they are better - but still quite a struggle to load #10. I keep those now for IDPA mainly.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

My XD9 mags hold 16 rounds, but trying to get 16 into them is an utter hassle. I usually just load 15 and call it good. I also found that if you do manage to get all 16 in there, the slide is sometimes testy stripping off that first round.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Cool

Gddyup, thats what I did for the first week on mine. 8 in the 9 round mag, one in the pipe and called it "good". Until today when it went in, still kind of tough. Once the 11rd allows capacity I'll have 30rds. (3 mags), 1 chambered

SS
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member

Lead Moderator
    Yep the XD mags are a pain. My girlfriend makes me load hers for her.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

There's a reason for the Glock magazines being so hard to load.

As the story was told to me, when the original ten-round limit was implemented, whomever was responsible for doing so (ATF, or state officials, or whomever) found someone who could muscle in an eleventh round in the Glock magazine(s) being evaluated. The folks at Glock made the springs stronger so this couldn't happen. Hence, my ten round Glock magazines are all really nine-and-a-half round magazines.

Dunno if there's any truth to it; that's just the story I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Yep the XD mags are a pain. My girlfriend makes me load hers for her.
    Yes, I'm not the only guy who's stuck loading magazines for his significant other. Now I don't feel as bad.

Rocky ans Sammy +1 on both posts!

My wife makes me do 90% of the reloading when we go out shooting! She says it makes her thumbs hurt. LOL!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

+1.. I am also currently doing the loading for myself and my GF. But in due time she is going to load her own, I may help if the mag is tight on the last round or two, but otherwise she is going to have to learn how to do it on her own. I have already made her do several mags in front of me, directing her on how to do it. Its a step in the right direction. :)

SS
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    FloridaGuy

Sounds like the "breaking in" of the springs fits the bill, another tip is to slap the mag baseplate into the palm of your hand to release the spring.

This happens to me ocasuinaly with my mags that have the newer style insert (don't know the tech name) that sits between the spring and baseplate, the one with the vertical end, this can catch the spring and keep it from compressing evenly.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

VIP Member
    My SIG P-226 magazines are like that too. Once I get 10 - 11 rounds in it I slap the base of the magazine on the heal of my hand a couple times then try again. It seems to compress the spring a little and allows me to top it off! Then I slap the rear of the magazine again on the heal of my hand to seat all the rounds against the rear of the magazine.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I general find that in the double stack mags if the rounds do not sit right will cause this problem and slapping it against your palm will align the rounds in the mag allowing for the last round.

Use that mag loader that came with. When I first got my G30, I had to fight to get the last one in. I just left them loaded for a week or two and they were alright. I still use the loader, but I can load them all in by hand and grimacing my face now.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Links