Pocket guns?

This is a discussion on Pocket guns? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, this is definitely an interesting scenario. I graduated last spring, and my parents wanted to get me a class ring (all three of us ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Pocket guns?

Pocket guns?

Well, this is definitely an interesting scenario. I graduated last spring, and my parents wanted to get me a class ring (all three of us were homeschooled and both my brothers got one), but I HATED the idea. Class rings are completely pointless IMO. They've bugged me to pick one out, and after a year of me telling them I didn't want one, they came up with something else. An engraved pocket pistol. Yup, I love my family. lol.

Anyway, I have ZERO experience with pocket pistols, and my Dad's is limited to his Beretta .25. Obviously I want it to be .380, or possibly 9mm if it's small enough, and it has to be available with a stainless or nickel slide, since it's going to be engraved. It also needs to be completely reliable, and able to be pocket carried. It's going to be engraved, so it needs to look nice and have plenty of blank space on the slide (or cylinder if anyone can recommend a good revolver). I have looked at the P3AT and the LCP, so far. I HATE how the P3AT looks, and the LCP is OK, but I'm not crazy about it.

Hopefully some of you pocket carry guys can chime in here and help me out a little.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I know this isn't probably what you're looking for, but my next pistol will probably be something like this...

Charter Dixie Derringer Revolver 72313, 22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire, 1 1/8", Black Rubber Grip, St

Doesn't have a pretty slide, but it does have quite a bit of room on the cylinder. Just a thought.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    I know this isn't probably what you're looking for, but my next pistol will probably be something like this...

Charter Dixie Derringer Revolver 72313, 22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire, 1 1/8", Black Rubber Grip, St

Doesn't have a pretty slide, but it does have quite a bit of room on the cylinder. Just a thought.
    You know, I hadn't thought about a revolver, but that's a good idea. I'd like a larger caliber though, but thanks for making think about revolvers!

VIP Member
    You truly have an awesome family!

Most here know that I'm a big LCP fan for pocket-carry, but an engraved pistol suggests a level of bling that the LCP just doesn't have. Good luck on the 9's. Even the smallest is a little 'bulgy' for jeans on me. Even so, here are what I think are the purdiest of the pocket carrys:

9mm: PM9 'Black Rose' Edition Kahr PM9 Black Rose - Style # PM9093CSBR, Kahr Arms Pistols
    or
    Rohrbaugh Rohrbaugh Firearms
    .380: Sig Sauer P238 P238 SAS

Of course, those are at the pricey high end. On a budget, you still have the CW9 and LCP with stainless slides. I'm sure I'm missing and dis'ing some, but it's a start...

I like larger calibers as well, my primaries are either a Taurus .45, or an EAA .357mag. But, something like a .22mag is a good BUG, and probably easiest to conceal. And, also, something like that little revolver is usually in the $200-$300 range. (I've been doing research on them- seems like half the people I know who CC have one, and I'm warming to the idea of carrying one)

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Cool

S&W 638. Good caliber, reliable, stainless steel, resonable price, lots of space for engraving and a good pocket pistol design that has lots of options for fancy grips. Mine is not fancy but you can get an idea of the basic model. Smith and Wesson does factory engraving also.

photo.jpg
    click to enlarge
    WHEC724 and BugDude like this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    You truly have an awesome family!

Most here know that I'm a big LCP fan for pocket-carry, but an engraved pistol suggests a level of bling that the LCP just doesn't have. Good luck on the 9's. Even the smallest is a little 'bulgy' for jeans on me. Even so, here are what I think are the purdiest of the pocket carrys:

9mm: PM9 'Black Rose' Edition Kahr PM9 Black Rose - Style # PM9093CSBR, Kahr Arms Pistols
    or
    Rohrbaugh Rohrbaugh Firearms
    .380: Sig Sauer P238 P238 SAS

Of course, those are at the pricey high end. On a budget, you still have the CW9 and LCP with stainless slides. I'm sure I'm missing and dis'ing some, but it's a start...
    Yeah, my parents are awesome. The best part is that this was actually my Mom's idea. She usually just rolls her eyes every time one of us mentions buying another gun. lol.

I do like the P238, but the Rohrbaugh is just a bit high. Same with the Kahr, but I don't like the grip design on that one either.

I like larger calibers as well, my primaries are either a Taurus .45, or an EAA .357mag. But, something like a .22mag is a good BUG, and probably easiest to conceal. And, also, something like that little revolver is usually in the $200-$300 range. (I've been doing research on them- seems like half the people I know who CC have one, and I'm warming to the idea of carrying one)
    This will probably be a primary once I start my new job. Pocket carried in BDU's. So a larger caliber is definitely a must.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    S&W 638. Good caliber, reliable, stainless steel, resonable price, lots of space for engraving and a good pocket pistol design that has lots of options for fancy grips. Mine is not fancy but you can get an idea of the basic model.
    I do like that. And the price on those seems to be very reasonable. I'd say that's the best I've looked at so far. Thanks!

Don't have one, never shot one and they're costly (not Rohrbaugh costly) but the Seecamp is supposed to be a real Cadillac of pocket guns:

L.W. Seecamp Co. - Products

VIP Member
    Too bad the Rohrbaugh R9S is so spendy, but there's nothing else out there to compare with its size and perfect DA trigger. I mean when the hammer drops, the gun doesn't move. My Rohrbaugh customers love the "Pup", and one said he never misses a gallon jug at 30 yards with it off hand. I use a Nemesis G2 pocket holster or an ankle rig and CorBon 115 +P DPX with good result. The Kahr PM9 is less money and will still fit into a pocket, but for the same $ and size, I have the PM40, quite the pocket rocket. I figgure anyone worth shooting with a 9 is worth shooting with a 40. Of course, I'm definitely not recoil sensitive.

image001.jpgKahr 4043.jpg
    Last edited by gunthorp; May 24th, 2011 at 11:05 PM.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    If you can, find somewhere that rents these pocket-rockets and/or beg a friend to let you try theirs, before you buy.

You'll want to see which one you can shoot well with - and that only gets more important the smaller the pistol gets.

Quote Originally Posted by CPO 15 View Post
    Don't have one, never shot one and they're costly (not Rohrbaugh costly) but the Seecamp is supposed to be a real Cadillac of pocket guns:

L.W. Seecamp Co. - Products
    I like that. One of the nicer looking .380's I've seen. How have I not heard of all these tiny guns? lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    If you can, find somewhere that rents these pocket-rockets and/or beg a friend to let you try theirs, before you buy.

You'll want to see which one you can shoot well with - and that only gets more important the smaller the pistol gets.
    Always the best advice. Just remember to do a lot of research, ask enough questions to be almost annoying, and try out anything whether you think it's you're looking for or not; you might be surprised by something you hadn't even considered.

Always the best advice. Just remember to do a lot of research, ask enough questions to be almost annoying, and try out anything whether you think it's you're looking for or not; you might be surprised by something you hadn't even considered.
    Yup. Had that happen yesterday. lol. I went in to the LGS to put a commander sized 1911 on layaway and wound up with an officer sized. Unfortunately where I am, there's nowhere to rent guns, but the LGS owner hasn't steered me wrong yet. He warranties everything, and if you're not happy, he'll give you a better gun. As far as recoil, I'm fairly confident that I won't be bothered by it. I have shot .380s in the past, but none of the quality that I'm looking for.

Since no one else mentioned it, I'd like to mention the Walther PPK. Yes it's a bit larger and heavier, but it looks good in stainless with engraving. You can get custom grips for it to further make it yours and mine has been with out fault. Not to mention it's a classic at this stage.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

Quote Originally Posted by LeftofMars View Post
    Since no one else mentioned it, I'd like to mention the Walther PPK. Yes it's a bit larger and heavier, but it looks good in stainless with engraving. You can get custom grips for it to further make it yours and mine has been with out fault. Not to mention it's a classic at this stage.
    I absolutely agree. The PPK/S is the way to go, especially if it is to be an engraved gift. I have an Interarms model that's 25 years old with probably 2000 rounds through it, and it has been flawless. As a gift, and perhaps a pass down heirloom some day, you will not beat the Walther for quality and class.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links