What do you use to clean your pistol?

This is a discussion on What do you use to clean your pistol? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Bud - IIRC the dominant persistent odor with Ed's is the kero - which does somewhat cling to the hands....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you use to clean your pistol?

Assistant Administrator
    Bud - IIRC the dominant persistent odor with Ed's is the kero - which does somewhat cling to the hands.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Smell.....what smell????.........I lost my nose years ago.

No really though, it isnt quite hoppes 9, or shooters choice, it has a distinct smell, not something you would use in non-ventilated areas, but it does a great job pungent smell or not.

But since you can make a gallon for what it costs to buy a bottle of shooters choice, it is a great value. I still use a patch or two of copper solvent upfront, but use alot of eds red for all around cleaning.
    Fear No Evil.

i use spit and elbow grease, just like my daddy taught me. just like his daddy taught him and just like my daddy's daddy's daddy taught him.
    and if it's good enuff fer them, it's good enuff fer me.

any experience w/ ultrasonic cleaning systems?

Anyone use the cleaners where they dunk the gun into a liquid and let it sit there? I saw my wife's jewelry cleaner and asked her if it would fit my handguns in it. I got the look from her and then decided it would not be a good idea to try and use her cleaner.

I think I saw an ad for one on brownells. Anyone have actual experience, good or bad, about cleaning their guns using ultrasonic cleaning systems?

(For now: boresnake after range session, hoppes, patches, q-tips, brass bore cleaner and remoil (just ordered some militec-1 so I'll have to try that))

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner
    Anyone use the cleaners where they dunk the gun into a liquid and let it sit there? I saw my wife's jewelry cleaner and asked her if it would fit my handguns in it. I got the look from her and then decided it would not be a good idea to try and use her cleaner.

I think I saw an ad for one on brownells. Anyone have actual experience, good or bad, about cleaning their guns using ultrasonic cleaning systems?

(For now: boresnake after range session, hoppes, patches, q-tips, brass bore cleaner and remoil (just ordered some militec-1 so I'll have to try that))

i would love to try one out as many guns as i shoot and clean $$ is the problem

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Clean em ??? Hell son i just shoot em till they are filthy and trade em off LOL .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

What is a BP gun?
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    BP would be Black Powder
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

The New Hoppes Elite Solvent Is The Stuff.i Miss The Old #9 Smell Though.wilson Combat Lube On The Moving Parts,and G96 For Rust Prevention.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I'm currently looking for a monkey to train to clean mine... LOL
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

I have been trying some Ed's red bore cleaner which I make with one part automatic transmisson fluid (ATF) one part K1 kerosen, one part mineral spirits (paint thinner) and one part acetone. I put a really wet, with bore cleaner patch through the barrel of a field stripped pistol and let it set for a few minutes then follow up with a clean patch and if it is real dirty use a brass brush. Then follow up with clean patches until one come out clean. I use a bore light to check the bore. I usually put an oily (gun oil) through the barrel after cleaning. If I am shooting in a couple of days I don't bother. You should also run a dry patch through the barrel before shooting. I clean (tooth brush and rags) the ramp and various parts that rub together and put a thin coat of gun oil on these parts. One special place you should clean is the little hole where the firing pin come out. I blow this out with a dry air container and dis assemble it for more thorough cleaning occaisionally. Use a rag and silicon to wipe the external part of the gun before putting it away. Avoid too much oil or grease on guns unless you are going to long term store them. Hoppes #9 is good as a bore cleaner but I tried the Ed's red formula and it is cheaper if you clean a lot of guns. It is also very good at cleaning dirty barrels. If you use lead (not full metal jacket) bullets you will have more trouble getting that bore clean. Copper will coat the barrel too and you have to go to a brush (brass) to clean it.
    Sambo74
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Good thread here, lots of info. Question time. What if any does Eds Red have on plastic? Acetone by itself is pretty volitale on some kinds of plastic. I ask because a lot of guns now use various kinds of plastic in different places. Also what effect on rubber? Different grips use rubber. What effect on wood?

It would really be sad to use a product and have somthing get ruined.

Senior Moderator
    The routine for my Kimber after every time at the range....

First, I spread a trash bag and lots of newspaper over the coffee table and pop in a movie because I'm going to be there for a LONG time.

Then I get a glass bowl from the kitchen and spray "gun scrubber" in the bottom of that.

As I take apart the gun, all loose little parts get soaked in the gun scrubber: slide stop, firing pin and spring, recoil spring, guide rod, firing pin stop, extractor, even the barrel for a short period of time.

While all of those parts are soaking, I take a cloth to the frame. I wipe it down, kiss it a few times (okay, I'm kidding). I take a soft brush to the hammer, maybe some polish to the grip and thumb safeties, brush the insides with a soft brush and then set it aside.

Then I take the barrel and run a bore brush dipped in Hoppes bore solvent through it about three or four or five or six or seven times.

Then I take a cleaning patch and dip THAT in bore solvent and run that through the bore another dozen times.

Then I take another patch and put Hoppes gun oil on that and run it through the bore until the patch comes out completely clean.

I take a soft brush to the outside of the barrel, making sure to get in every groove and crevasse.

Then I take the cleanest patch I ran through the bore with the gun oil on it and oil up the outside of the barrel, and wipe the excess off with a rag... I then set the barrel aside.

Then comes the slide...
    I take the gun scrubber and blast the firing pin and extractor holes with the stuff. I blast the inside and all over the chamber where most of the burnt powder has built up.

I grab my brass brush and go to work buffing, and scrubbing. Q-tips work GREAT for getting inside the firing pin and extractor holes and I will work on those until the Q-tip comes out completely clean.

After the slide is polished I will wipe off all excess cleaner and then go over it with Hoppes gun oil, wipe off excess and set aside.

All the little crap left over in the bowl gets scrubbed individually, polished and oiled.

When I put the spring back on the firing pin it gets an extra drop of oil and a little inspection before it goes back into the slide, same with the extractor.

I wipe all finger prints off the barrel and check it EXTENSIVELY with a bore light before it goes in the slide (I am SOOOO picky with my bore).

The recoil spring and guide rod get tested, oiled, wiped and then replaced.

Finally, I oil the crap out of the frame and slide rails and put the slide back on.

A good look at the slide stop, and then that goes back in.

The gun gets another once over with a nice soft cloth.

Rack the slide a few times, work some snap caps through it.

I wipe down the mags, reload them with my carry rounds, load up the Kimber and she's good to go.

Then it's time to clean up my cleaning mess.

Lotís of good replies and I wasnít going to bother adding another but I didnít see any replies that mention my favorite, so thought Iíd toss it out. About 4 yrs. ago, I switched to Kroil for 90% of my gun cleaning and have been extremely pleased. The only other products I use are WipeOut on my high velocity rifles and Ballistol on my BP 45/70 Sharps.

Quote Originally Posted by INTJ View Post
    You know I was wondering if anyone would take me seriously if I should tell of cleaning my M16 in such a fashion. Held it under the shower, soap, rinse, dry. Liberal amounts of Breakfree afterwards.
    Hell, I've cleaned my M16, M9, M2, 240B and M19s that way.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links