What do you use to clean your pistol? - Page 5

What do you use to clean your pistol?

This is a discussion on What do you use to clean your pistol? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; CLP sprayed in the barrel and left to soak a few minutes. Then patches (rarely a brush) 'til they come out fairly clean, followed by ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    CLP sprayed in the barrel and left to soak a few minutes. Then patches (rarely a brush) 'til they come out fairly clean, followed by a pass with an oiled patch. Special attention to the feed ramp - it must be clean!!! Wipe slide and rails with cloth and Q-tips. Someone once said if it rotates; oil it, if it slides, grease it. That's works for me. Re-assemble and clean excess grease and oil off gun with rag, then wipe and shine with silicone cloth. Mags get a disassemble and cleaned with silicone cloth about every two range trips.

Please note: each of us has his own cleaning 'ritual', based partly on fact, partly on old wives tales, partly on just how obsessive/compulsive we are. I've never had a gun not function because I didn't clean it or because I used oil where grease would have been better or grease where I prefer oil, or because it was dry (without any lube). If your gun isn't rusty, feeds and fires, then you are doing it well enough.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Assistant Administrator
    Jim ........ now two of us want some info - come on back ya hear
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

You're supposed to clean pistols?

O.K., I'm kidding...sorta.

Try Goo Gone. Kind and gentle, and breaks almost all the bad stuff loose..
    Last edited by swiftyjuan; May 25th, 2007 at 11:48 AM. Reason: added last two sentences to save my life...
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

I wonder how the Glock would do in the dishwasher? Just kidding but it might work.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I unload and disassemble the gun; wipe down the barrel with Hoppe's #9 Powder Solvent; saturate a "Boresnake" with the solvent and run it through several times; I then push patches through using a brass jag, to see if any dirt remains; if dirt remains, I use the Boresnake again, and repeat; once it's clean, I run a final patch through to make sure it's dry of solvent.

After that, I go to work on the rest of the parts. I use patches with powder solvent on the slide, especially near the muzzle, then I dry it. I use dental picks (one of which I filed blunt) to press patches into tight corners and remove dirt and grit. I run patches moist with solvent along all slide rail grooves, etc., pretty much cleaning every available surface with solvent. I then make sure it's all dry and clean with plain patches.

In the case of a GLOCK pistol, I take the innards out and clean them too, using the armorer's tool. I like my GLOCK to be spiffy superclean, especially for carry.

I lube with Break Free CLP, but that's not what I use for the real cleaning.

These steps work for me just fine.

Bronze wool

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Jim - where in heck do you obtain that - I need some !!!!
    I get mine from a marine supply/hardware store. We use it a lot on boats because it doesn't rust in our saltwater environment.

I'd be glad to send you some if you can't locate any, but your hardware dealer should be able to get it from a distributor almost overnight.

Jim

Assistant Administrator
    Hi Jim - thx for responding.

Well - guess I'll try a request at hardware store ........ but being a total landlubber here - have a feeling it may not be so easy.

If it was a case of asking you the favor of supplying some - what is the cost? I'd be well happy to pay for the goods and shipping and then some!! Just be totally tickled to aquire it, as I shoot lead in many guns and certainly getting my Ruger #1 well clear of lead is a long job - I was wishing I had a super long Lewis deal for it ...... but the bronze wool would be wonderful.
    Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    I wonder how the Glock would do in the dishwasher? Just kidding but it might work.
    I know folks who have used this method to clean the frame/body with barrel and spring removed. They say it does a great job, they put the assembly in the washer upside down so the spray shoots into the trigger assy, etc.

I decided not to try this as I wonder about the long-term effects of the detergent in dishwasher soap. I prefer to hold the frame over a trash can, or take it outside and spray with Braklean, then blow out with compressed air. YMMV

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Hi Jim - thx for responding.

Well - guess I'll try a request at hardware store ........ but being a total landlubber here - have a feeling it may not be so easy.

If it was a case of asking you the favor of supplying some - what is the cost? I'd be well happy to pay for the goods and shipping and then some!! Just be totally tickled to aquire it, as I shoot lead in many guns and certainly getting my Ruger #1 well clear of lead is a long job - I was wishing I had a super long Lewis deal for it ...... but the bronze wool would be wonderful.

I'd be pleased to get you some Chris, It's not terribly expensive, all I have on hand is the dregs of the last pkg. I bought, I really need more myself. I'll try to get some tomorrow, then if you want, I'll mail some to you. Just send me a note with your address to:jbailey43 - at - earthlink.net . Always happy to help a fellow shooter.

Jim

Assistant Administrator
    Jim - well it may the lazy approach but yeah - would be more than delighted if you'd get me some.

I will email you soon and give you my info. Thx a lot.

BTW - have edited your thread to split the email addy - so the bots do not grab it and get you even more spam!!
    Chris - P95

After making sure what I'm working on is unloaded, I open up a bottle of Hoppe's #9. Then I grab the Shooter's Choice, and run a wet patch or two down the tube. I'll let 'er soak while I'm cleaning other parts. Back to the barrel, I'll run another wet patch followed by a dry one. If I need to clean for copper fouling or lead deposits, I'll go after it w/a bronze brush, with some solvent applied to it. I quit dipping the brush into the solvent bottle a long time ago, as the brush will contaminate the solvent and weaken the solution each time you do it. I shoot a lot of lead, so if I have stubborn deposits I will use either a Lewis Lead Remover, or wrap some 0000 steel wool around a worn brush and have at it. Last thing down the barrel is a dry patch, our humidity here is so low that rust is generally not a problem. If it won't be fired for a while, then I'll finish w/ a lightly oiled patch.
    I'll use gun scrubber on the frame if it's a semi-auto, wipe clean, and lube as necessary. Oh yea, I do use the #9 for other than aroma therapy, but I just gotta have that smell regardless of what cleaner I'm using.
    Regards

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links