What do you use to clean your pistol?

What do you use to clean your pistol?

This is a discussion on What do you use to clean your pistol? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today I cleaned my pistol for the first time. I have had it at the range twice(would be more but work gets in the way!) ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do you use to clean your pistol?

Question What do you use to clean your pistol?

Today I cleaned my pistol for the first time. I have had it at the range twice(would be more but work gets in the way!) and had about 150 rounds through it. Before I left I requested something to clean my weapon with and the shop gave me an aerosol can of "Break Free CLP" Cleaner, Lubricant,Preservative. After dismantling the slide and barrel, recoil spring, i sprayed inside and out of the barrel & waited 5 mins, then went through it with a pushrod and wire rounded brush that came w/ the Glock, sprayed the inside the slide LIGHTLY ...concentrating on the grooves in the slide where it moves back and forth, ran over it with the rounded brush and wiped the recoil spring off with a dry towel. After all that I dried everything off and let it air dry about 5-10mins. Then re-assembled. I guess the question is this:

What do YOU use to clean your weapon? Did I do it correctly?

I feel like a total idiot posting this thread to be honest with everyone. This has to be the most amatuer post ever. I even bought a "Mastering the mini-glock" DVD to learn about the firearm as much as I could on my own. Like stated in previous threads I have been around firearms since I could walk. My father probably owns 35 weapons, I just have never been responsible for the maintenance of one and want to be sure that I did it correctly. After all, I did pay for the weapon with my own money.. I'd like to keep it in the best condition I can.

Thank you to everyone that always answer my posts. HotGuns, QKShooter, BlackHawk, Bud White, HSUCowboy, P95Carry, Redneck Repairs, and a slew of others that I have not mentioned but are equally appreciated. Ill wrap up the sentimental part of this thread.. this forum isnt for writing Love novels. Now...back to the questions....

SS
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Lets see i've used blue wonder works very well when there very dirty its a gel

breakfree clp

Hoppes #9

Simple green works very well too

And mobile one for oil

Brian enos slide glide for grease

Assistant Administrator
    Let me mention a typical routine - per my last 226 clean.

After field strip and separation main assemblies - first, barrel. That will get a few passes of bronze brush dipped in Hoppes #9 - followed then by jag and dry patch - that thru a time or two and change for a fresh patch - repeat passes and that one comes out pretty clean.

Pay attention to feed ramp - de-crud that and also wipe off barrel exterior.

Then to recoil assembly - remove spring (springs) off guide rod and wipe off crud - reassemble with small lube application. I am more these days using judicious amounts of Militec1 or Mobil 1.

Then - frame - one main area to deal with is top of mag well - bolt/slide face, extractor etc - I use an old toothbrush just moist from Hoopes and scrub to loosed crud. Then a combination of tweezers holding patch and Q tips to clean out thoroughly. Little or no lube needed after although a minute drop on hammer pivot pin sometimes. Make sure extractor claw is clean. Be careful not to get any brush bristle trapped in firing pin hole.

Mainspring assembly will not often get or need extra lube. Just very occasionally a minute drop of oil in firing pin channel can be useful.

The slide engagement rails on the frame and the slide rails themselves then get cleaned thoroughly - again - patch or rag - often pushed thru channel with toothpick or match - remove crud.

On reassembly I'll apply a small amount of Tetra grease to barrel lug and front end - analogous to 1911 bushing - and then apply small amounts of oil to slide and frame - usually use a dripper - such as watch-maker's screwdriver to apply one small drop at a time - a small syringe is even better.

Reassemble again and wipe off any excess slide oil - and that is about it - good to go. Don't think I have forgotten too much. Some semi's like to run ''wet'' (slide) but with internals like trigger group etc - IMO less is more.

Revo cleaning is a slightly different approach tho using same cleaning tools in essence.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

a spray can of seafoam, breakfree CLP, and hoppes #9

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I follow about the same procedure as P95, but I really like to use bore snakes on the barrel, and every 500-1000rds I'll run a copper solvent (sweets). But don't get the copper solvent on a bore-snake or a bronze brush, use a nylon or jag.

Since Glocks are easy to disassemble, I usually totally disassemble and clean all parts after every range trip. Not that this is necessary or smart, I just like to be able to say I can totally disassamble one type of firearm (even if it is a glock). And oddly enough, I kinda enjoy it. With the Kimber and others, I field strip, get all residues off with a q-tip soaked in Hoppes #9, and uses patches, Hoppes, and a stiff copper brush to clean the bore. Lightly lubricate depending on weapon (Kahrs like to be HEAVILY lubricated) with Hoppes Elite oil and reassemble. Rack the slide quite a bit, and dry fire a few times. And thats the end of my little adventure.
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

RemOil, Boresnake, rag and Q-tips. I clean the barrel with RemOil and run the boresnake through it. I wipe off the recoil spring and the use the q-tips soaked with RemOil to clean and lub the frame rails, trigger draw bar, extractor and basically anything that is dirty. I rub the areas that don't need lube with dry q-tips.

On the Glock 26 I used to have I paid carefull attention to lug the lock-up lug on the barrel and where it mated to the slide. With the above procedure I had no visible wear on the weapon besides the black coating being rubbed off the barrel. But that is unavoidable and will happen with just racking the slide.

Lead Moderator
    Jus tto add. I have found Breakfree to be a good lube, but doesn't seem to clean all that well. Atleast deep down clean.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The main thing is that you are cleaning and it's a valid post.

I love CLP. I also use Blue Wonder for the barrel and it gives it a mirror shine.

Keep going with what you started. I'd also get a toothbrush to scrub all the other areas and use q-tips to get to the hard to reach areas to wipe off the CLP.
    XD9 Service
    Bersa 380 Thunder
    Taurus 605
    ...a few others

Texas XD Practical Shooters Association

Laugh away, but I usually clean my Glocks with hot soapy (Dawn dish detergent) water. Dry them in a 100 degree oven, which is not as hot as a car is in the summer. Follow with a good lube.

I use break free and its awesome. It cleans and protects. Just make sure you shake the can to get the chemical mixed after it has set for a while.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd
    Laugh away, but I usually clean my Glocks with hot soapy (Dawn dish detergent) water. Dry them in a 100 degree oven, which is not as hot as a car is in the summer. Follow with a good lube.
    ya know you really can clean them in a dishwasher if you use it on hi temp scrub and heated dry the temp will be over 100 degrees and it will dry super fast oil up and go

I also forgot non chlorinated brake cleaner no it wont damage glock frame .79 cents a can at walmart environment friendly too .. gun scrubber 7.00 a can guess what same stuff

Thanks for the dishwasher tip Mr. White. Sincerely john

Thumbs up MPro7 and Kleen-Bore

MPro7 chemicals (gun cleaner, bore gel) and Kleen-Bore tools.

http://www.mp7.com/
    http://www.kleen-bore.com/

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links