Oakland Police Issues an Emergency Recall of their new Gen 4 Glock 22 Pistols

This is a discussion on Oakland Police Issues an Emergency Recall of their new Gen 4 Glock 22 Pistols within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After numerous pistols were reported to have suffered repeated malfunctions, Oakland, California's Police Department issued an Emergency order to their officers to turn in their ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Oakland Police Issues an Emergency Recall of their new Gen 4 Glock 22 Pistols

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

After numerous pistols were reported to have suffered repeated malfunctions, Oakland, California's Police Department issued an Emergency order to their officers to turn in their brand new Gen 4 Glock 22 handguns this week, and replace them with their old Gen 3 pistols that they had just turned in days earlier.

So the officers are now back to using their old worn out Gen 3 Glock 22's, while folks try to figure out what is wrong with the new Gen 4 pistols.

Here is a video news report from Oakland's only TV station about the problems with the new Generation 4 Glocks:

OPD Recalls Hundreds Of Recently Issued Guns - News Story - KRXI Reno

Note: The printed article incorrectly says that the Glocks were 9mm, but the video report correctly identifies them as the .40 caliber Glock 22.

SO MUCH MORE REASON TO GO WITH THE GOOD OLD U.S.A.'S M&P!
    Stubborn and Spidey2011 like this.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Gen 4 = JUNK. Why they redesigned a proven internal design is beyond me. I can understand if you want to cater to the sally's and small handed folk who think grip angle and thickness is an issue but to change a proven reliable internal on a proven reliable design makes no sense to me. You get what you deserve Glock for not responding to the consumers and going after LE contracts...... should have just put out a slimline nine and 40, added some interchangeable backstraps and not worried about messing with a proven reliable internal design, it is not like you are making rail guns and shocking the market..... now you sullied your name and it is hard to climb back out of that hole. I am glad I got my Gen 2's and 3's and will stick with them.
    TVJ, First Sgt, joker1 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    SO MUCH MORE REASON TO GO WITH THE GOOD OLD U.S.A.'S M&P!
    Or a Gen 3!

I had heard the Gen 4 Glocks were having issues, but I didn't think they were this serious. I'd like to hear what Glock says about this.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    "So the officers are now back to using their old worn out Gen 3 Glock 22's..."

I don't know too many LEOs who've managed to "wear out" a firearm. Most are slightly used at best; holster wear, yes, but worn out?

We'll see what the outcome of this is.
    tkruf, First Sgt and FiremanPaul like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by LanceORYGUN View Post
    After numerous pistols were reported to have suffered repeated malfunctions, Oakland, California's Police Department issued an Emergency order to their officers to turn in their brand new Gen 4 Glock 22 handguns this week, and replace them with their old Gen 3 pistols that they had just turned in days earlier.
    They probably just found out that the new guns would shoot. (thats a malfunction in California) Everybody knows you can't have a gun that shoots in California. Now that they have their old guns back that don't shoot, everything will be fine.
    minameismud and Top Strap like this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "So the officers are now back to using their old worn out Gen 3 Glock 22's..."

I don't know too many LEOs who've managed to "wear out" a firearm. Most are slightly used at best; holster wear, yes, but worn out?

We'll see what the outcome of this is.
    Justification to spend allocated budget money

Actually, I seem to recall that some Gen 3 Glocks in .40 were having issues when a weapon mounted light was used. Not sure if they ever figured that one out?

I'll stick to my Gen 3 Glocks, in 9mm.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

For the light issue, the light must've added enough mass to throw off proper cycling. Kind of makes me question just how heavy of a recoil spring they were using. I think there's a temptation to use heavy springs to reduce battering the internal components, so you can make them cheaper; the downside is that anything even a bit below ultra full proper mega spec ammo has a good chance of malfunction, not to mention what happens when one limp wrists even a bit.

I have a Glock 19 gen4, but not for long as soon as my gun comes in, you can bet it will not be a Glock, I do beleive that this G19 gen 4 is the last Glock I will ever buy. I never did get the #4 spring, glock's customer service is terrible.

VIP Member
    So the officers are now back to using their old worn out Gen 3 Glock 22's
    I thought Glocks never wear out?
    justherenow likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Glad I read to the bottom, I was going to say the same thing.

Love my G19 Gen 3
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Gen 4 seems to be turning in to Glock's New Coke.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Well, apparently they don't, as they are back to using them again. There must be some calculation they are using in terms of time or number of rounds shot that they then decide to replace the guns. Sort of like mileage on a patrol car, I guess.

Glocks aren't perfect!?

Say it isn't so!
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links