Kimber ultra carry II or Glock 36?

This is a discussion on Kimber ultra carry II or Glock 36? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm having trouble deciding between these two guns and really need you guys here to point me in the right direction. Both feel good in ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Kimber ultra carry II or Glock 36?

Kimber ultra carry II or Glock 36?

I'm having trouble deciding between these two guns and really need you guys here to point me in the right direction. Both feel good in my hand with the slight edge going to the 3" kimber. I like both guns and have read good things about both of them,but still can decide which I want for a new EDC if anyone here can weigh in on the reliability and your own experiences with both that would be great,thanks.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

GM
    You are the one that is going to carry it, not we. They are two way too different firearms; you have to find out what type of firearms you prefer and which one works best for you, a safe action Glock or a SAO 1911. IMO both the Kimber and the G-36 are good firearms. My EDC is a SAO, but that is because I like them best and they work best for me. It has to be your own decision. Good luck!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I haven't taken the plunge on a 1911 yet. While I'm an active police officer and my carry weapon is a Glock 23, I don't want any confusion between on and off-duty carry. So my off-duty platfrom is the same; G27, 19, 17, 30, 36.

I really like carrying my 36. It is very comfortable and fits in the same MS SS II that I use for my 19. She's a sweet shooter, not quite as soft as my 30, but definitily tolerable. I can run through the 6 round mag very quickly and accurately. She has been very reliable. Due to the low capacity I carry 1 or 2 spare mags in a Pure Kustom mag pouch. I know that I could carry my 30 for more capacity and I do. But you cannot dispute the fact that the 36 is more comfortable to carry.

Bottom line - I love my 36.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Glock 36 I say

Like GM said. They are two really different guns. Only you can decide what you are looking for and what feels right. I have a Kimber Ultra carry II and love it. I am also a 1911 lover so take that bias for what it is worth. Capacity is with Glock, the other is just a fine gun. You can read that on so many 1911 threads on this forum. Good Luck. I am sure you will not go wrong. Maybe buy both and use for different occasions.
    Attached Images
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    I haven't taken the plunge on a 1911 yet. While I'm an active police officer and my carry weapon is a Glock 23, I don't want any confusion between on and off-duty carry. So my off-duty platfrom is the same; G27, 19, 17, 30, 36.

I really like carrying my 36. It is very comfortable and fits in the same MS SS II that I use for my 19. She's a sweet shooter, not quite as soft as my 30, but definitily tolerable. I can run through the 6 round mag very quickly and accurately. She has been very reliable. Due to the low capacity I carry 1 or 2 spare mags in a Pure Kustom mag pouch. I know that I could carry my 30 for more capacity and I do. But you cannot dispute the fact that the 36 is more comfortable to carry.

Bottom line - I love my 36.
    I don't completely get that mentality. Do you drive a cruiser while off duty so you don't get confused?
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

VIP Member
    If it's a question of money, the Plastic gun wins. They are both great chioces for EDC. I like the SA trigger better than the Safe Trigger. They both make the right size hole.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

If you want a serious weapon that is extremely reliable but short on the wow factor take the Glock.
    If you want a fun gun that gets noticed at the range take the Kimber.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

I have owned both...
    Loved the Kimber (actually had three of them)...never a problem with any of them, but a pain to take apart and clean.
    The Glock-36 is now my EDC.
    After the Glock Armorer Course, I developed an appreciation for the simplicity of Glocks...easy take down, dependable, just as accurate as my Kimber.
    Get the Glock!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Your name is 1911luver and you're asking us to help choose between a Kimber and Glock?
    tkruf and TX-JB like this.
    Proud NRA member

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    You are the one that is going to carry it, not we. They are two way too different firearms; you have to find out what type of firearms you prefer and which one works best for you, a safe action Glock or a SAO 1911. IMO both the Kimber and the G-36 are good firearms. My EDC is a SAO, but that is because I like them best and they work best for me. It has to be your own decision. Good luck!
    That's really good!

I have Sig, Glock, Beretta, S&W, H&K and ever since a guy at the range walked up to me and laid a Kimber Ultra Carry in front of me on my bench, along with a full mag, I traded for a Kimber Pro Carry and carry it constantly. It does cost more, but I think it's worth every penny. Plus you're supporting a fully American company that has contributed some $850,000 to the US Pistol Team since 2003, and guess what the US Pistol Team shoots? Kimbers, and have since about 2003. And they are winning.

I have every appreciation for Glock and other brands and fully appreciate their ruggedness and utility, but my choice is a 1911 Kimber. In fact, I like my Kimber Pro Carry so well, just yesterday I took some money I've been saving and accumulating for years and years and bought a Kimber Tactical Pro to gain the checkered front strap, ambi safety, mag well funnel, and night sights.

My Pro Carry is an absolute dream to shoot. I had some feed and extraction issues during the first 500 rounds, but the last 200 rounds I shot were flawless, which indicates it's probably broken in. My Pro Carry has a trigger pull weight if 3.25 lbs with no trigger work done on it. My Tactical is 5 lbs and I can really tell a difference and I will be looking at that. I had zero mals with the Tactical in the first 150 rounds.

Shooter's Depot had a Glock and Gunny weekend about a week or so ago, and I got to shoot a G17 gen 4 right after I had shot my Kimber Pro carry. I shot the Glock well, but the trigger was so heavy in comparison to the Kimber Pro that I actually thought something was wrong with the trigger.

I'm not down on Glock, but right now my pick is Kimber, and remember what got me here was shooting the Kimber Ultra Carry II. One thing to be aware of about Kimber is the barrel. It is match grade, but is, as I understand it, made from chrome molybdenum which means it is more susceptible to rust, so keep a thin layer of high quality gun oil, I use Lucas Gun Oil right now and have been using Weaponshield quite a bit, on the outside and inside of the barrel.

I've sure been sounding like a commercial a lot lately - I guess it is in a way, but it's just enthusiasm for some products I've used lately.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I have and carry both. They are nearly identical in size and weight. If I had to choose only one it would definitely by my Ultra Carry. There's no comparison between the trigger on the Kimber and the one on the Glock. My Kimber has been 100% flawless no matter what I feed it and that includes a lot of lead semi wadcutters.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Thanks guys and yes my username would imply this would be a no brainer but I like both weapons I think I'm gonna go for the kimber ultra carry though. I guess there really no wrong choice here,I'll keep u guys posted.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    I love my 1911's and my glocks but I find the glock more comfortable for everyday carry. I am a bigger guy and the hammer on the 1911 tends to dig sometimes (depending on what holster) and I just am more comfortable day in and day out with my glocks. I have and still do on occation carry my 1911's, but My glocks 19, 29, 30 just become second nature were I only notice when they aren't on my side.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Senior Moderator
    I understand the carry thing. I realized one day I was carrying polymer guns because they were light and hence easier to carry. But when I shot the Kimber Ultra Carry with that Al frame, I was impressed.

My Kimber Pro Carry, a bit bigger than the Ultra Carry, weighs 28 oz with an empty magazine. That's the same weight as a Sig 229 without the mag. The Pro Carry carries like a dream.

Can't help with the digging in other than get a High Noon Slide Guard. I don't have the digging problem myself, but I understand what a problem that would be.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links