Range report on my Ruger LC9

This is a discussion on Range report on my Ruger LC9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well first off it'll eat anything. I had a bag of 150 rds of mixed stuff. Mainly ball ammo but about 25 hollow points and ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Cas Cowboy

Thread: Range report on my Ruger LC9

Range report on my Ruger LC9

Well first off it'll eat anything. I had a bag of 150 rds of mixed stuff. Mainly ball ammo but about 25 hollow points and another 25 of steel cased ammo. All fed with no problems and ejected just fine.
    I tried grouping at first and shooting from a bench but didn't rest the gun on anything. First 7 shots were in a 3" group at 15 yrds. No bad for me but I hate shooting sitting down so the rest of the drills were done standing. The trigger on these guns isn't meant for target shooting so I don't put much in my groups.
    The trigger! Well it has a lot to be desired as far as I'm concerned. Just way to much take up and it doesn't go off till the very back of the trigger guard. At first I didn't think double taps were gonna be very easy but after a couple of mags I learned how to make it work. Although I still had a a little trouble pulling off on the 2nd shot. I think more trigger time will cure my problems with it.
    Not so sure swapping back and forth between a 1911 and the LC9 as carry guns would be a good idea since they are worlds apart on the trigger.
    All in all I like it and plan to shoot the crap out of it. Doesn't hurt my hand like my P3at does when shooting and only a little bigger.
    Last edited by Cas Cowboy; May 25th, 2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: to many leather in the word range
    red13 and Buckj like this.

2. Remove Ads

Good to hear. I love mine too and have 700 rounds through mine with only 1 failure.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I was surprised by the lack of recoil even with +P loads. Think once I have 700 rds thru mine I'll have that trigger down pat.

Good to hear nice reviews on the LC9.
    Mine has been good to me also. You'r right about double taps

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

I had to send mine back to Ruger(their dime),Got it back in 11 days.650+- assorted, flawless rounds since.Had mine since Febuary.Getting used to that long trigger pull helped me to improve my trigger control overall.It's pretty accurate now, even with me.At first the slide release wouldn't release unless you pushed really hard but mine loosened up and is normal now.

Talked with a friend of mine that is a Ruger gun nut about the slide lock. He said Ruger didn't design it to work like a 1911's but to only hold the gun open after the last round. According to what he said Ruger say's you are suppose to pull the slide to the rear and let go instead of the slide lock. I plan on going back thru the owners manual just to see what they have written on it. My friend said there was a big uproar on the internet about this same issue with other Rugers.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the report. I'm glad it's working out for you.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Thanks for the review Glad you are enjoying the LC9. I've waffled on this particular gun for over a month. Every time I visit the LGS and handle one I leave convinced that it would be a perfect summer carry. Then, I start reading about the trigger and other issues and delay.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

GM
    Glad you like it. Enjoy!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by Cas Cowboy View Post
    Talked with a friend of mine that is a Ruger gun nut about the slide lock. He said Ruger didn't design it to work like a 1911's but to only hold the gun open after the last round. According to what he said Ruger say's you are suppose to pull the slide to the rear and let go instead of the slide lock. I plan on going back thru the owners manual just to see what they have written on it. My friend said there was a big uproar on the internet about this same issue with other Rugers.
    I heard that too but mine works normally now.

The magazine disconnect safety can also be removed which is the only one of the three(California)safetys that bug me.

Thanks for your report. I won't be able to get to a range for at least 2 weeks, but I can't wait to test my LC9. I've got a wide selection of ammo, several magazines for it, a few draw options, but I do need to test all this out.

Extracting the magazine safety is a top priority, but I need to test it first.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I can't make up my mind on the magazine safety. Still have to buy a couple of spare mags and holster. Hope to pick up a pocket holster today but can't make up my mind on which other to get. Want a kydex holster but not sure if it should be an IWB or OWB. Never had a IWB.

The slide release directions ARE in the manual. Jamming the release down is not normal for this model.

Quote Originally Posted by brachus View Post
    The slide release directions ARE in the manual. Jamming the release down is not normal for this model.
    Yeah, but that's what Glock says too, but anyone who competes with one can tell you that's bull. My LC9 release is impossible to work with the firing-hand thumb, and after 500+ rounds, has not gotten any better. I'm envious of those owners who say theirs now works - what did you do? I'd love to hear of a fix for this.

Links