Poll - What Accessories would you like your Home Defense Handgun to have on it?

This is a discussion on Poll - What Accessories would you like your Home Defense Handgun to have on it? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Simple poll. Please vote for the combination of accessories you would prefer to have on your Home Defense Handgun. Please vote and explain your rationale. ...

View Poll Results: What Accessories would you want to have on a Home Defense Handgun?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Night-Sights Only

27 25.96%
  • Laser Only

5 4.81%
  • Flashlight Only

4 3.85%
  • Night-Sights + Laser

9 8.65%
  • Night-Sights + Flashlight

23 22.12%
  • Laser + Night-Sights

3 2.88%
  • Laser + Flashlight

4 3.85%
  • All 3 Baby!!

29 27.88%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll - What Accessories would you like your Home Defense Handgun to have on it?

Simple poll. Please vote for the combination of accessories you would prefer to have on your Home Defense Handgun. Please vote and explain your rationale. Hopefully, it may enlighten others.

Laser is the primary sight. Night sights are the back-up. Weapon mounted light allows a free hand for grabbing the kids.

So - all 3.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I'm not terribly worried about night sights if I have a laser. I saw a wonderful little laser/flashlight/strobe light. I REALLY wanted it because it was a green laser, and had a strobe function for the flashlight.

I like the laser/strobe light combo because it gives a light to identify what the laser is targeting. Also, it leaves your 'off' hand to do other things like open doors, support your weapon ('thumb over thumb').

As of right now, I have my weapon in one hand, and my flashlight held underneath in my off hand. 'Police style' (as I've heard it called).
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

DANG - I messed my poll up. Max variable are 7, not 8. PLEASE DISREGARD OPTION #6. IT IS A REPEAT OF OPTION #4.

DO NOT VOTE FOR OPTION #6

I voted night sights only. I do not use lasers on hand guns and to be honest when you look at the distances that most encounters take place in a laser is not needed. simple point shooting (and practice doing it) will be what gets you through. I prefer my light separate from my pistol in order to gain tactical advantage. If your light is on your pistol the BG knows where you are, by holding the light in your off hand you can hold the light in different positions. Also if you wish to use your light to ID friendlies then it is nice to not have to point your gun at them. Just one mans opinion, I just prefer my light and pistol separate.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    I'm not terribly worried about night sights if I have a laser. I saw a wonderful little laser/flashlight/strobe light. I REALLY wanted it because it was a green laser, and had a strobe function for the flashlight.

I like the laser/strobe light combo because it gives a light to identify what the laser is targeting. Also, it leaves your 'off' hand to do other things like open doors, support your weapon ('thumb over thumb').

As of right now, I have my weapon in one hand, and my flashlight held underneath in my off hand. 'Police style' (as I've heard it called).
    I agree 100%. Although I would like to have all 3. I don't really see the need for night sights. Well, to be completely honest, I dont really see a need for sights at all. In a defensive scenario, I don't think any of us would have the time nor the werewithal to actually be aiming. Although, I don't know, I would have to imagine it would be point and shoot.

RKM
    I voted all three. But my USP only has a TLR-2 and no night sights. I don't think I'd need night sights, because, I'll have a light. But night sights would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by jdivence View Post
    I voted night sights only. I do not use lasers on hand guns and to be honest when you look at the distances that most encounters take place in a laser is not needed. simple point shooting (and practice doing it) will be what gets you through. I prefer my light separate from my pistol in order to gain tactical advantage. If your light is on your pistol the BG knows where you are, by holding the light in your off hand you can hold the light in different positions. Also if you wish to use your light to ID friendlies then it is nice to not have to point your gun at them. Just one mans opinion, I just prefer my light and pistol separate.
    I would have to agree that SD scenarios probably occur at very close ranges and would eiliminate the need for any sighting system. However, I could aslo imagine a scenario where someone break into your house and there is several feet/yards between you, and would have to assume that some aid would be helpful, god forbid.

As far as your point about the light; I too, have thought about whether or not a light is helpful. One hand it offers you a blinding/paralyzing effect on the intruder and a better sight picture - ont the other - it can give away your location. Same holds true for the laser. This argument, is one of the primary reasons I posted the poll. I was hoping to gain insight as to what may be the best "tactical" (i hate that word) advantge. These types of questions and issues the reason I posted this poll. I realize there is never a best answer when it comes to these questions, but I am hopeing I can come to some conclusions based of the valuable input form others.

Night sights and light.

Night sights for those low level light scenerios and light for those no light scenerios. Both can be useful or not even used if the situation calls for it(shooting from hip or something like that).
    Glock 26 9mm, Ruger LCR .357mag

"Protect yourself at all times."

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."-Clint Smith

CT lasergrip on Glock 37 next to mini maglight next to German Shepherd

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I carry three lights on me when working. I have a TLR-3 in a pouch on the back of my belt between my cuffs and radio, a surefire in front of my radio, and a maglight in the car/on the side of my belt between the surefire and ammo pouches. The TLR-3 is attached to my weapon for clearing buildings out but i still use my surefire in my off hand to search. I would do the same at home and I feel night sights and a light would work best especially since I can carry a surefire in my other hand or use my left hand to move people while still lighting the area
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Foe me; Laser first and for-most, then the night-sights.
    All of my smaller hand guns have a laser.
    I can hand hold a flash light away from my body.

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

I'm a fan of NS only. The light/laser thing I've done, but I rather like basics.

Quote Originally Posted by jdivence View Post
    +1 What he said.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    Who would refuse night sights if they were free? Some prefer the front only, but the two back dots help precision. If you can't imagine a situation where the BG is visible but your sights aren't, you don't need them.

A laser as a training tool has great merit, as long as it doesn't give one a false sense of skill. In bright conditions it would distract you if you try to look for the dot. Some say it is a dead giveaway, if there's any dust or smoke in the air. Its purpose is not to spend time searching, but to hold on the door to the safe room, for example, while your hands and eyes can multitask.

A light on a two hand weapon makes sense, like for a shotgun or rifle. If you have to look for trouble for a living, a gun mounted light still requires a disciplined trigger finger in case you muzzle flash an innocent you've lit up. Since my home defense pistol is my EDC, my flashlight rides in my pocket or off hand.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links