Who carries a Glock 19?

This is a discussion on Who carries a Glock 19? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for opinions on who carries a G19 daily....how do you find the comfort factor and what do you carry it in? What do you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who carries a Glock 19?

Who carries a Glock 19?

Looking for opinions on who carries a G19 daily....how do you find the comfort factor and what do you carry it in?

What do you guys (...and gals) thing of the OD-Green look?

Also...any sellers/traders out there with one? Good online stores?

Thanks in advance
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

2. Remove Ads

I carry one a lot during the winter months, both months (Texas joke). But seriously, It is a great gun to carry and easy as all get out to conceal. Its very comfortable to carry, and a lot easier to conceal than it looks. I have carried under a light t-shirt. I carry +p 124 gr. Gold Dots with one in the chamber. I carry in a Galco Summer Comfort Holster, and have not had a single problem with it. I have put thousands of rounds through it, and it has never, I repeat NEVER failed. I don't particularly care for the OD green (think its ugly), but to each his own. Its a great gun, and I wouldn't sell mine for any amount (it was my first gun). But good luck with your search, I'm sure you'll be happy.

PS- I think topglock.com sells them at cost (or whatever they're calling "cost" these days.

Happy Shooting!!!
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

I dont have a 19, but I think the Green is not bad looking. Although I prefer the solid black no frills on Glocks.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Heres a pic:

-Bill

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    PS- I think topglock.com sells them at cost (or whatever they're calling "cost" these days.
    Stay away from TOPGLOCK. We had a thread on here a few months ago from a member (Justin???) that worked at TOPGLOCK and he had some hair-raising experiences IIRC. People at work pointing guns at one another and pulling the trigger and other moronic and potentially dangerous behavior.

I just did a search for that thread and I can't find it. I do remember reading it though.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; July 27th, 2006 at 11:34 PM.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Thanks for the input....wasn't blown away by pricing....Hey on a side note...

There was a thread on glocktalk that people involved in EMS or fire fighting are elgible for the glock police discount of $100 from an authorized dealer....guess it falls under their "homeland security" policy/commitment.

A few people posted that it worked as long as they had documentation of their employment.
    -Bill

I have personally bought several items from topglock.com and from a customer standpoint, Im very satisfied.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

Used to carry one

I own a G19 and the similar .40 caliber G23. At one time I carried both of them. The big advantages of the G19 for carry, in my mind, were:

1. Very light weight, small dimensions and smooth contours (used bar of soap), so that it concealed well.

2. Same trigger pull on every shot with no manual safety to forget under stress.

3. Absolute reliability, in my experience shooting thousands of rounds through it.

4. Lots of ammo capacity in a modest size gun.

I tried several different OWB holsters with the G19 (don't much like IWB carry), and I kept coming back to the Galco JAK slide, a minimal belt slide holster in which the belt goes over the gun, pulling the gun very snugly against your body for very good concealment:

the g19 is awesome, for the money you cant go wrong. my 19 is black, but my 31 is OD green.

Additional comments - comfort and olive green

I already posted on this thread, but didn't comment on two items the original poster asked about - the comfort of the Glock 19 and the olive green frame variation.

Regarding comfort - this is my major objection to the G19 and corresponding Glocks. I think the ergonomics of the grip and trigger are fairly bad compared to many other handguns. The grip seems uncomfortable and excessively "rectangular" in cross section. My hand prefers a grip that is more rounded and oval in cross section, such as found on 1911s, most Sigs and revolvers. The Glock grip feels a little like a 2 X 4 board to me.

And the Glock trigger, with the built in safety lever, can be uncomfortable on my trigger finger, especially when firing a lot of rounds at one session. I prefer the feel of a smooth trigger without safety levers sticking out the front.

As for the olive green frame - it is probably a matter of personal taste whether you like it. I personally prefer black and feel the olive green is a little too "GI Joe" to suit me. I note that H&K recently came out with polymer USP frames in green, tan and gray, but decided to drop these because they were not selling well. I watched a poor USP 45 with the gray (blue?) frame sit in the case of my favorite gun shop for a long, long time.

I carry a G19 on duty and off. It has night sights and the laser max. Also us a M3. It is very comfrotable and shoots great. I normaly have a 15 rd mag with a +2 base in the gun with another 15 rd on the side.

You will not regret getting a G19. I carried it for many years as a NYC police officer. Very reliable. I have over 5,300 rounds through it without one single malfunction.

I carried Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +p. Now I carry a G27 off duty. But every now and again I miss my G19 and carry her for a few days. Now I carry Federal 115 gr +p+ rounds. I carry it in a DeSantis speed scabbard OWB.

Great gun....I prefer black to green. But, to each his own.

Good luck.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Thumbs up Glock 19

I've carried a Glock 19 for a few years now, usually in a Blade Tech IWB.

The big advantage to the Blade Tech holster is that it's so much faster than a leather holster. This can be important when you are playing catch up.

-You don't sweat through the kydex.

-The kydex also provides a measure of protection for the pistol. (Think impact protection if you have to go hands' on with someone).

-You can also holster your pistol one-handed, which is a good capability to have.

It takes some getting used to, but it can be done with some prior planning in regard to what you decide to wear.

Wasn't it Clint Smith who said that carrying a pistol was supposed to be comforting, not comfortable? Well, you get the idea.

My $.02, YMMV of course!

Steve
    "When only the police are armed, it's called a Police State"... Robert A. Heinlein

I carry a G19 everyday and for duty use. It is great. I use the Federal Hydro-shok in it. It has the 15 rd mags with +2 base. Very easy to conceal and not real heavy after a long day. As far as the OD green I do not really care for them.

My CHL should arrive today, but I've been carrying my G23 around the house. I carry in a DeSantis Scorpion IWB. It's a kydex holster and very comfortable. The G23 is the same frame and the G19 and with this holster I can conceal it with just a t-shirt.
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links